Drive Select bug ?

enry68

Reaction score
Hi to all,
I've noted that if I switch off the car in drive select mode EFFICIENCY with the indication on the CP Efficiency (Exx), when I switch on the car the drive select id set into EFFICIENCY (Dxx). To restore the Ex mode I need to set again the EFFICIENCY mode.

Is this correct ?

Thank you,
Enrico

The same happens to me, very irritating at first, but now I've gotten used to it after 1.5 years of ownership. There's always 2 things I do, when I enter my car - change drive select mode + plug the usb-c cable in my phone (for AA).

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

Its a feature of the system - when the ignition is turned of some of the efficiency settings are reset to auto hence the display shows the D. To restore all the efficiency settings you have to reselect the efficiency setting on the drive select which then restores the E

Its a feature of the system - when the ignition is turned of some of the efficiency settings are reset to auto hence the display shows the D. To restore all the efficiency settings you have to reselect the efficiency setting on the drive select which then restores the E
Sounds illogical for system to operate this way, why would it revert partly back to AUTO, but show that it's in Efficiency? I'd think, that letting the owner know, that you're not in Efficiency mode anymore, so you could again select it, would give you better user experience.
Why revert to AUTO everytime? I understand reverting from Dynamic so You wouldn't put to much wear on cold engine, but surely the Efficiency mode is better for cold engine, no?

No idea of the logic behind but it’s in the car manual + plenty of threads on other forums re this

Reactions: Sibmets
Thanks for the answers friends. But the question is: when on the VC is written EFFICIENCY and the gear is in D, in which mode the car is Efficiancy or Auto or other ?

I'd say the vehicle is in efficiency mode, you can tell by the way it drives.

Reactions: enry68
Thank you, so why I'd press again the drive select button to change from D into E if the car is already in Efficiency ? If I've right understood your point of view, it seem to be onlya representation bug not a real different combination of settings ?

Drive Select works with a number of different systems. This is determined by what equipment is fitted to a given vehicle and can include, steering, gearbox, differential, accelerator pedal, engine sound etc.

When the ignition is turned on certain systems such as the dive system (ie response of the engine to accelerator pedal movements) are reset to a “Balanced” setting and the current mode “in this case Efficiency” needs to reselected again to restore the settings on the different systems in full.

Only thing, which I've noticed which stays in Efficiency mode after engine restart, is air conditioning unit - it stays in A/C ECO.

when the A/+ is in Eco mode the compressor is turned off which saves fuel

when the A/+ is in Eco mode the compressor is turned off which saves fuel
Except it's not turned off. It's off when You set it to "OFF". In ECO it simply cools slower than in standard A/C mode MAX in which it cools at maximal speed to cool the cabin.
It is also stated like that in owners manual:

"A/C Cooling mode
You can switch the cooling mode on or off using the rocker switch. The air is not cooled and humidity is not removed when cooling mode is switched off. This can cause fog on the windows. Cooling mode switches off automatically when the outside tempe rat ure is below zero.

A/C eco cooling mode*
You can switch the eco cooling mode on or off using the rocker switch. The climate control system operates most efficiently in eco cooling mode.

A/C MAX cooling mode*
You can switch the maximum cooling mode on or off using the rocker switch. The air is not cooled and humidity is not removed when cooling mode is switched off. This can cause fog on the windows. Cooling mode switches off automatically when the outside temperature is below zero. When the cooling mode is switched on, the vehicle interior is cooled as quickly as possible and dehumidified."

Last edited:
Except it's not turned off. It's off when You set it to "OFF". In ECO it simply cools slower than in standard A/C mode MAX in which it cools at maximal speed to cool the cabin.
It is also stated like that in owners manual:

"A/C Cooling mode
You can switch the cooling mode on or off using the rocker switch. The air is not cooled and humidity is not removed when cooling mode is switched off. This can cause fog on the windows. Cooling mode switches off automatically when the outside tempe rat ure is below zero.

A/C eco cooling mode*
You can switch the eco cooling mode on or off using the rocker switch. The climate control system operates most efficiently in eco cooling mode.

A/C MAX cooling mode*
You can switch the maximum cooling mode on or off using the rocker switch. The air is not cooled and humidity is not removed when cooling mode is switched off. This can cause fog on the windows. Cooling mode switches off automatically when the outside temperature is below zero. When the cooling mode is switched on, the vehicle interior is cooled as quickly as possible and dehumidified."

that correct - I said it turns the compressor off not the whole econ system

that correct - I said it turns the compressor off not the whole econ system
But it doesn't turn off the compressor, compressor stays on.
Even in +30 °C i leave it on AC ECO and it blows cold air through air vents while stationary, I never even use the other modes of A/C (A/C, A/C MAX, OFF).
That A/C button (MAX, A/C, ECO, OFF) is for controlling the behavior of compressor only, the only setting which turns the compressor off is the button OFF in the compressor menu or button OFF on the whole air conditioning panel. On setting ECO A/C is on but on efficient mode of operation and cools the cabin slowly, as stated in manual.

So, if I start the car with the VC that show me EFFICIENCY and the gear in D mode, I'm in a hybrid situation between the full Efficiency and the ....comfort?
Let me say that this seems to be a bug.

Reactions: Sibmets