Drive Select and Alarm

Renox

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know exactly what each drive select mode does? Also what’s the rough MPG difference between eco and comfort?

Does anyone know how good the alarms are on the S3’s?

Cheers,

Renox

Hi guys,

Does anyone know exactly what each drive select mode does? Also what’s the rough MPG difference between eco and comfort?

Cheers,

Renox
Does anyone know exactly what each drive select mode does?
2B982648 E12F 451A 993C 491D557B0798

Also what’s the rough MPG difference between eco and comfort?
Impossible to say, since it depends on your right foot and external conditions. But not much I would say.

What defines a good alarm? Yes it works if you try to tow the car when it's locked. And yes it works if you bump into it. And yes it works if something moves inside the car while it's locked.

Fair enough I probs won’t touch the eco mode then at all.

In regards to the alarm I saw a post basically saying certain models and cars can be stolen in seconds. Was hoping it doesn’t happen with these types of cars.

In regards to the alarm I saw a post basically saying certain models and cars can be stolen in seconds. Was hoping it doesn’t happen with these types of cars.

That's most likely because they have the advanced key system which makes it possible to unlock the car if burglars have intercepted the signal (this can be done with some advanced equipment if the key is nearby, like next to the front door or something like that).

Reactions: pburv
From what I understand if you don’t have the push button start this method isn’t possible right?

From what I understand if you don’t have the push button start this method isn’t possible right?

You're right, since the advanced key doesn't require you to turn the ignition thus the button to start/stop the car.

Seen posts on here that suggest fuel consumption is higher with eco. I hate it anyway - don’t like the feeling of coasting. And you have to use the brakes more.

Seen posts on here that suggest fuel consumption is higher with eco. I hate it anyway - don’t like the feeling of coasting. And you have to use the brakes more.

I have coded out coasting and now use eco during longer journeys on the highway. This way the car won't shift down in 6th when you just think about touching the gas pedal.

I coded it out using OBDeleven this way:

Module: 19 - Can Gateway
Long Coding
Byte 12
Bit 2 - Drive Program Function "Free Wheel/Clutch"
Uncheck

So would you guys recommend using the eco mode when doing really long hauls up and down the motorway?

So would you guys recommend using the eco mode when doing really long hauls up and down the motorway?

Why not just try it yourself and make your own experiences?

Reactions: pburv, Phutters and Adam14
I personally found little to no difference between Dynamic and Eco, comparing as "like for like" drives and commutes as possible.

Reactions: Mikeyd1 and pburv
I've also found very little difference between dynamic and eco. If you are heavy footed then eco will smooth the throttle response out more, but the same can be achieved in dynamic by just not planting your foot. I never use eco - for a long run I'll always use the individual mode to set the suspension to comfort (possible with mag ride).
Would recommend just trying everything yourself and seeing what you get on best with.

I don’t have drive select but my Q2 in D mode on the S-tronic is so lethargic. Put it in S then it’s a completely different beast. Also, the A3 I had with a 1.6tdi engine was very different in Eco compared to Dynamic. I think it’s widely reported (I made a thread about it too) that Eco uses more fuel due to needing more throttle for longer to get up to speed in comparison to Dynamic mode. This was certainly the case when I experimented the 2 modes in my 1.6tdi. I think others have experienced similar in all models of the A3.

Also, does the whole Drive Select “function” of reverting to Auto when turned off even though it states it’s in another mode, apply to the FL model? Many are prob driving around in Auto when it’s stating Eco or Dynamic.

I don’t have drive select but my Q2 in D mode on the S-tronic is so lethargic. Put it in S then it’s a completely different beast. Also, the A3 I had with a 1.6tdi engine was very different in Eco compared to Dynamic. I think it’s widely reported (I made a thread about it too) that Eco uses more fuel due to needing more throttle for longer to get up to speed in comparison to Dynamic mode. This was certainly the case when I experimented the 2 modes in my 1.6tdi. I think others have experienced similar in all models of the A3.

Also, does the whole Drive Select “function” of reverting to Auto when turned off even though it states it’s in another mode, apply to the FL model?
Many are prob driving around in Auto when it’s stating Eco or Dynamic.

Yes it’s does so you need to cycle to get the right mode.

More info below:

Attachments

• C2EF2A03-78A2-4BCC-A61B-84CA85761F03.jpeg
    C2EF2A03-78A2-4BCC-A61B-84CA85761F03.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: pburv and Ormesome

Just to say these can be nicked just as quickly with no advanced key option. My s4 was in under 4 mins using locksmith key tool and then odb port to code a new key. Alarms tend to have 15 seconds delay before going off if not unlocked with the owners key. That gives enough time to kill the alarm using their odb tool. You can set zero seconds using odb eleven or vcds to give a quicker alert but you'd better kill your odb port and buy other security if you want to be safe.

Just to say these can be nicked just as quickly with no advanced key option. My s4 was in under 4 mins using locksmith key tool and then odb port to code a new key. Alarms tend to have 15 seconds delay before going off if not unlocked with the owners key. That gives enough time to kill the alarm using their odb tool. You can set zero seconds using odb eleven or vcds to give a quicker alert but you'd better kill your odb port and buy other security if you want to be safe.
Good point :icon thumright:... Might be worth just putting a blank plug in the port if anything than just to make it that little slower to access it.
Seen this on line cheap and simple to fit I think...
https://retrofitsw.co.uk/product/obd2-port-relocate-wiring-loom/
Also there are plenty of obd locks available on line

As I said might not prevent a break in but it will make it slower for the thieving scumbags to drive it away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam14
Does anyone know exactly what each drive select mode does?
View attachment 198362

Hi all,

I've read through the posts in this threat, but I'm still unclear exactly what the different Drive Select options do - does anybody have anymore detail about this? Admittedly I've not had my car long, but I really can't feel/hear any difference in any of the options at the moment, other than a little 'E' symbol showing up at the gear change prompt on the dashboard when in Economy mode. What should I be looking out for with the different modes?

Thanks!

When I had my S3 I left it in dynamic, no point buying an S3 if you want economy...I recall seeing the instant MPG when I first bought the car and drove it enthusiastically :blink::wtf: I turned it off that screen and never went back to it :p OMG just reminded myself that I wish that I had kept it :sob:

Dynamic all day long. Stage 2 APR. 402bhp. All the bells and whistles and still get 26 ish MPG. I find it impossible to drive like I stole it all the time. Enjoy it when I can. Eco has too much throttle lag, hate it. I'm in a manual car.

Anything with Keyless go can be nicked within seconds / minutes. I hate the systems.

I had an Autowatch Ghost fitted to me BMW straight after I bought it. Won't stop the window being smashed, or them doing whatever inside the car, but at least it'll still be there when I return to it.