Drive modes and valve controllers? Some deep thoughts...

ArrEssDrei

Reaction score
I have a CETE valve controller, and recently took it off to try and diagnose an electrical issue I was having (which was unrelated), and ran the car for the first time in over a year without it, and realised how bizarre the drive modes are on our cars.

As I understand it, the car will either always start up in Comfort mode, or close the valves just after start up regardless which mode it is last in, but I'm not sure which.

With the valve controller of course it stays open or shut depending which mode you are in, so I hadn't thought much about this until I took it off, but my question is this:

If the car is not really in dynamic or individual mode when it is started, and is in comfort mode, and we have to cycle back round to the desired mode to get the full fat performance settings we want, then with a valve controller, so we still need to do this or not? If so, the controller is a bit of a gimmick, and it also means I've been driving around in comfort mode for a year with the valves open! I've spoken to CETE and they tell me that the controller only controls the flaps and does not actually remember or retain the last drive mode, but they also said that the car is in dynamic if it says it is in dynamic, only the transmission in in D and not S, and the flaps closed.

So does anyone know which is correct? Is the car really in dynamic/individual when you start up, or is it in comfort mode and you have to cycle though to get back to dynamic performance?

I hope this makes sense...

Car is in comfort at every start. CETE only controls the flaps. Not much difference from the engine in each mode, seems to mainly be gearbox, quattro/haldex and exhaust that significantly change.

Reactions: 8YARWY
The car always starts up in Comfort. It says Dynamic on the dash, but it is not in Dynamic.

My car is stock and I see no reason for a controller. When you select Dynamic (stock car) the valve opens and the car always makes more noise than Comfort. I found that selecting Individual exhaust generates a bit more sound level, but kills some of the pops/bangs compared to just straight Dynamic.

The forum information about this says you need to cycle through the modes. I tried this with the drive select switch and the *, but was not happy with the results. Here is what I do. Select menu beside the wheel, turn the wheel to vehicle, and you will get drive select on the MMI. Leave this display on the screen forever. If you have the car in Dynamic when you turn it off the dash display and the MMI will both show Dynamic. When you restart (it starts in Comfort right) you must reselect Dynamic (which is already showing on the MMI screen) by pushing the wheel. One push of the wheel selects Dynamic and you are good to go.

There are a whole lot of messy details which are connected to the Dynamic mode, but just remember to select Dynamic every time you start the car. Pulling the gear shift down a second time to get Sport in the transmission does not put the car in Dynamic (it is Comfort Sport). I suspect many drivers are trying to get into Dynamic by using the gear shift lever, this is not possible.

Reactions: Riko0073
I suppose the real question is the engines tune in comfort any less powerful and responsive? I'm not sure the seat of my trousers can tell TBH, but I feel a bit stupid knowing now I've been driving round in comfort with FWD and the valves open when I should have still been scrolling though to dynamic/individual every time. The exhaust valve controller gives the impression the car then starts in dynamic/individual, It's really good to know that it's not the case. Also explains why launch control had been a bit spotty, as half the time it didn't work, and I now realise why! Thanks for the replies.

My preferred driving mode is dynamic with DSG in drive. So I select Dynamic in the menu and shift the gear lever down to have the DSG in normal 'D'.
I did notice that when I choose 'Individual' and exhaust to 'Dynamic', the car sounds much better.
So I think the CETE is needed to make the car sound as good when in dynamic mode.

Reactions: ArrEssDrei
You're right, a few more days driving without the controller and it doesn't sound right! Guess I'll put it back on. I would have hopped my re-map would have the valves open all the time in dynamic. Bit disapointing tbh.

I have a CETE valve controller, and recently took it off to try and diagnose an electrical issue I was having (which was unrelated), and ran the car for the first time in over a year without it, and realised how bizarre the drive modes are on our cars.

As I understand it, the car will either always start up in Comfort mode, or close the valves just after start up regardless which mode it is last in, but I'm not sure which.

With the valve controller of course it stays open or shut depending which mode you are in, so I hadn't thought much about this until I took it off, but my question is this:

If the car is not really in dynamic or individual mode when it is started, and is in comfort mode, and we have to cycle back round to the desired mode to get the full fat performance settings we want, then with a valve controller, so we still need to do this or not? If so, the controller is a bit of a gimmick, and it also means I've been driving around in comfort mode for a year with the valves open! I've spoken to CETE and they tell me that the controller only controls the flaps and does not actually remember or retain the last drive mode, but they also said that the car is in dynamic if it says it is in dynamic, only the transmission in in D and not S, and the flaps closed.

So does anyone know which is correct? Is the car really in dynamic/individual when you start up, or is it in comfort mode and you have to cycle though to get back to dynamic performance?

I hope this makes sense...

I recently took off the Cete, as my DS1 has options for having the valves open all the time in any of the modes.

What you'll find is though that the drive select part of the equation is controlled by the central electrics module, the cars ECU is getting it's prompt for what to do at start up from that module.

Cete controls the valves not the modes.

Reactions: ArrEssDrei