Drive belt / timing belt / cam belt (help)

Spiezels

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I had new “Timing belt / drive belt and water pump” fitted last year. (That’s what was written on the invoice)

They’re a separate entity to the cam belt right?

Have had a search and keep reading, cam chain, timing belt, drive belt, cam belt etc, not entirely sure which is what and at what intervals they need doing.

What mileage do you normally get the cam belt changed and what are the general costs?

Thanks!

S3 8P (2010)

Last edited:
“Timing belt / drive belt and water pump” will be cam belt & the water pump which is driven off the cam belt.
The preventative maint sticky thread suggests 70k intervals for cam belt but there is also usually a age recommendation.

There is also a cam chain at the other end of the engine that can need changing - it can be checked by look/listen or channel 93 on VCDS gives a good guide.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/preventative-maintenance-audi-s3-bhz-cdl.341180/

HTH

Reactions: Spiezels and ch1z64
Hi everybody,

I had new “Timing belt / drive belt and water pump” fitted last year. (That’s what was written on the invoice)

They’re a separate entity to the cam belt right?

Have had a search and keep reading, cam chain, timing belt, drive belt, cam belt etc, not entirely sure which is what and at what intervals they need doing.

What mileage do you normally get the cam belt changed and what are the general costs?

Thanks!

S3 8P (2010)

Looking from the front of the car on the left side of the engine is the cam belt which also drives the water pump, should be changed every 80k or 5 years which ever is earlier. On the right side near the gearbox is the cam timing chain which does stretch over time but isn’t a maintenance part, wear should be checked and excessive noise from the aluminium housing on the top right of the engine indicates it needs changing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spiezels
Looking from the front of the car on the left side of the engine is the cam belt which also drives the water pump, should be changed every 80k or 5 years which ever is earlier. On the right side near the gearbox is the cam timing chain which does stretch over time but isn’t a maintenance part, wear should be checked and excessive noise from the aluminium housing on the top right of the engine indicates it needs changing.

Thanks lads,

Extremely helpful that!

I did have some ticking from the housing on the right actually after a long journey the other day so it’s something I will get sorted.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...f8734e17c9c9224a1a4d901463fbc053264ffb&000582

Is this the full kit that’s needed?

Get the chain checked by a professional before you change it, it’s not a common thing to change and costs a lot to do it, the gearbox needs to be taken off so make sure it’s needed

Reactions: ch1z64
Get the chain checked by a professional before you change it, it’s not a common thing to change and costs a lot to do it, the gearbox needs to be taken off so make sure it’s needed

Whilst I am more than happy to be wrong, I don’t think the gearbox needs to come off to do the timing chain on an S3.
By coincidence, I had an email from AKS today telling me that the cambelt change interval is 60k miles or 5 years, whichever is sooner.

Assuming any garage would have the ability to check the health of the chain and tensioner?

Whilst I am more than happy to be wrong, I don’t think the gearbox needs to come off to do the timing chain on an S3.
By coincidence, I had an email from AKS today telling me that the cambelt change interval is 60k miles or 5 years, whichever is sooner.

I’m not 100% on this, I was thinking it was similar to my 3.2 where the chain is driven from the gearbox.

I’m not 100% on this, I was thinking it was similar to my 3.2 where the chain is driven from the gearbox.

It’s from cam to cam with the chain on the TFSI. The cambelt goes from the crank to one cam only. On the 3.2 the chain does everything.

On the 3.2 the cam chain is a terrible job (near engine out!). On the TFSI it's not, (no gearbox out) but it's a fair job.