Drift Mode Experience – Owners' feedback

furious_iPod

Reaction score
Hi guys!
One of the main introductions to RS3 is the drift mode.
I wonder if anyone has really tried this thing out and what is your feedback on this?
Is it worth it or is it just a cool marketing tool to promote new gen?

Hi guys!
One of the main introductions to RS3 is the drift mode.
I wonder if anyone has really tried this thing out and what is your feedback on this?
Is it worth it or is it just a cool marketing tool to promote new gen?
I put it up there with the 155mph limiter removal option (to 180mph). Sounds great dropping it in conversation but the reality is it's unusable day to day (unless you live in Germany).
Given that I can happily get the back end to step out without being in Torque Rear it seems pretty pointless other than a) to keep on trend with other cars b) help sell the fact the car is more rear biased than previous versions in promo/reviews.
I haven't used it yet, no plans to tbh as there's not much fun in picking burnt rubber off arches and bodywork.

Reactions: furious_iPod and 8YARWY
I put it up there with the 155mph limiter removal option (to 180mph). Sounds great dropping it in conversation but the reality is it's unusable day to day (unless you live in Germany).
Given that I can happily get the back end to step out without being in Torque Rear it seems pretty pointless other than a) to keep on trend with other cars b) help sell the fact the car is more rear biased than previous versions in promo/reviews.
I haven't used it yet, no plans to tbh as there's not much fun in picking burnt rubber off arches and bodywork.

A Birmingham RS3 owners wet dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Mastachaz and RSt3ve
Owned the car for 7 months and never put it in drift mode. Actually forget it has it

Reactions: Mike.46 and 8YARWY
I wonder if this is a mode that allows us to have something approaching the fun the pre-xdrive M3 had/has? i.e. a little more lively at the back end in decent weather when the mood takes you :D

Owned the car for 7 months and never put it in drift mode. Actually forget it has it

Can’t see the need for this feature myself.

Recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
this forum is so toxic and allowed to continue that way, I'm glad not to visit often anymore and just get to enjoy my car.

Reactions: 5pot and Mastachaz
Drama Queen......why the need to kick off no ones knows......but it ain't first time...etc...etc.....She loves me....so maybe she'll retort :couple inlove:

Reactions: Deleted member 160894
Is it because we are negative about Drift mode ?

Reactions: Jassyo06
Is it because we are negative about Drift mode ?

Maybe if l had got a huge discount off my car with money to burn l wouldn't give a flying Monkey's about ruining 4 expensive tyres doing Dunkin Donuts ...its not a Carwow .....warm up.our tyres before we do a drag race type of forum.....Drift mode launch mode etc etc do it if it pleases one but because some have no interest in this doesn't mean this forum is Toxic....l mean l don't require breathing apparatus to come on here....and my post won't self destruct in 5 seconds after l post it ...

Last edited:
Maybe if l had got a huge discount off my car with money to burn l wouldn't give a flying Monkey's about ruining 4 expensive tyres doing Dunkin Donuts ...its not a Carwow .....warm up.our tyres before we do a drag race type of forum.....Drift mode launch mode etc etc do it if it pleases one but because some have no interest in this doesn't mean this forum is Toxic....l mean l don't require breathing apparatus to come on here....and my post won't self destruct in 5 seconds after l post it ...

It’s more the Instagram generation…… you only have to look at certain car marques (New 8Y RS3 among them now) to see individuals driving their cars around and around with smoke everywhere for ‘likes’

Reactions: Frizzley, Sandra and Jassyo06
It’s more the Instagram generation…… you only have to look at certain car marques (New 8Y RS3 among them now) to see individuals driving their cars around and around with smoke everywhere for ‘likes’

The Gen that needs affirmation.....through the eye's of the likes of YouTube and Instagram

Reactions: Sandra
this forum is so toxic and allowed to continue that way, I'm glad not to visit often anymore and just get to enjoy my car.
What is your problem? If your so busy driving your car how come you have time to come on here and post randomly, you hoping for a particular reaction from someone in this section?

Never had mine in 'torque rear' either, cant see the point of forcing a well behaved car to act like the hooligans used to on our local car park,

Their take on 'Torque rear' wasnt quite so complicated as Audi's version, they parked the rear wheels on two plastic tea trays (stolen ones from Macy d's apparantly work better) apply the handbrake to keep the trays in position and off you go with ar*e end swinging all over the place :)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and 8YARWY
I’ve used it twice, I must just be dumb and stupid, but I’ll take that :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: furious_iPod, Daggerit and 5pot
For track days as it says on the tin?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

For track days as it says on the tin?

TX.

Generally if you do track days you go as fast as possible, not as sideways as possible :)

If you did every corner sideways they generally pull you off and give you a warning

Reactions: PaulBCN, Jassyo06, 8YARWY and 1 other person
Did the 1/4 mile in torque rear and again in performance mode. It was slower by nearly 3 tenths in torque mode if that’s is of any interest lol
I prefer to launch with it in TR mode, the car seems to “torque steer” more which I quite like.
Not found a quiet and big enough car park to drift i

Reinvention of launch control ....another gadget etc etc

And yet at car meets it’ll be a great look at me party trick, until the first out of control smash injures someone trying to film it…….

Reactions: Jassyo06
Did the 1/4 mile in torque rear and again in performance mode. It was slower by nearly 3 tenths in torque mode if that’s is of any interest lol
I prefer to launch with it in TR mode, the car seems to “torque steer” more which I quite like.
Not found a quiet and big enough car park to drift i
I guess as it’s rear biased it will be slower than balanced. It’s not made for 1/4 miles.

Audis have been slated for years about understeer so I guess this shuts them up for a bit.
But the magna diff does that without the 'Torque steer rear' setting, I can see maybe the only real use is for doing Donuts in a car park?

I never found the old cars understeery despite the internet full of test drivers saying it was.

TX.

Reactions: RS03???, IanL-RS3 and 8YARWY
But the magna diff does that without the 'Torque steer rear' setting, I can see maybe the only real use is for doing Donuts in a car park?

And thinking you look great on Instagram

Reactions: Mike.46 and Jassyo06
I’ve had a couple go’s with it now, mainly when it’s abit damp and it’s good, doesn’t feel like a typical RWD car it’s much more controlled but giving it a boot full coming round a corner defo does light the rear end up, just important to control the throttle without panicking

Reactions: RS03???, furious_iPod and rngDeadeye