Drain hole in battery bay?????

18 stoner

Reaction score
Hi, if anyone can give me a pointer to where the drain holes are in the battery bay of my 1.9tdi I'd much appreciate it!

Following a good few heavy rain showers and a wash it seems to have filled up and is spilling around even some came into the footwell! Trying to see any holes from under the bonnet, or even under the car is a tad difficult.:crying:

Many thanks in advance,

Pete.

Cheers for that James, looks like battery out and get my snorkle on!:ninja:

It's so much easier to get them from underneath. Just jack up car take rear undertray off and there up either side of the gearbox. Just get a long implement to pull them out but mind the water coming down on your face. Took me 5mins after spending half a day trying to get the battery out

i would be more worried if water starts coming in you "drivers" side footwell and i would then recommed acting fast as i found out the hard way.

I disagree about getting at them from under the car. I got underneath, took off the rear tray and eventually spotted the one under the battery, but no way could I get to it. I've got fat fingers, hands and arms, but no way was I reaching up there to clear it. I've got a multitronic gearbox, so I was wondering if its wider and this was why I couldn't get to it? Never even spotted the one under the brake cylinder, let alone clear it....

In the end, I moved the rad header tank and got at the battery one from under the bulkhead. Couldn't see what I was doing, but I could feel my way.

Is there any other way at getting at the one under the servo? My exhaust seems to be in the way preventing me from reaching under the bulkhead??

Cheers.

Last edited:
I disagree about getting at them from under the car. I got underneath, took off the rear tray and eventually spotted the one under the battery, but no way could I get to it. I've got fat fingers, hands and arms, but no way was I reaching up there to clear it. I've got a multitronic gearbox, so I was wondering if its wider and this was why I couldn't get to it? Never even spotted the one under the brake cylinder, let alone clear it....

In the end, I moved the rad header tank and got at the battery one from under the bulkhead. Couldn't see what I was doing, but I could feel my way.

Is there any other way at getting at the one under the servo? My exhaust seems to be in the way preventing me from reaching under the bulkhead??

Cheers.

after days of flapping and flaffing around when i finally got round to unblocking these holes i found the best way was to remove the battery to make space and then using a torch i just about got to the hole under the servo, was awkward but i used a plastic syphon pipe to push through the hole and let the water drain. as for getting under the car i personally would only get under it if the car was on a hydraulic ramp.

Cheers, I'll remove the battery and give that a go. I had the car on ramps, and I really couldn't work out how anyone could get to them from underneath unless the manual box is a lot smaller.

Christ, I just read your other thread about your water leak....

Last edited:
i do have a manual gearbox. i put car up on axle stands. removed rear undertray and used long armed pliers (these are about a foot long) and pulled the rubber gromit out. the car was perfectly safe on the axle stands. it took me 10mins

Cheers, I'll remove the battery and give that a go. I had the car on ramps, and I really couldn't work out how anyone could get to them from underneath unless the manual box is a lot smaller.

Christ, I just read your other thread about your water leak....

yes thats still an ongoing saga which im still tryin to get to the bottom of, unfortunately nothing to do with the dreaded plenum chamber drain holes. mind you, i thought it was impossible to get to these holes by removing the battery etc but its not too bad, but obviously as s3gaz has said, he had no issues getting to them by going under the car also.

I managed to get one of mine poked through. I managed to feel it in the puddle of water just to the offside of the battery and pressed on it until it gave way. The water then gushed out but havent managed to find the one near the servo, guess Im just hoping the one done will do.

Don't ignore the one under the servo. Although the water won't get too deep because it will run over to the other side there is a ridge so water will still collect. I wouldn't want any water sitting under the servo and ecu. It's easier to reach and see that grommet with the battery out (battery out is a pig to do but with the right tools it's easier), but you might be able to bend a bit of coathanger or the like to feel your way.