DPF Removal & Remap

Thomas R

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at removing the DPF & going with a remap on my 170 B7. Could anyone advise me on the best way to go ahead with this- Gutting and rewelding or replacing the complete pipework? For those who have already had this work done, do you find the car still smokes? Do you feel as if the outlay is justified- Better throttle response, MPG, etc etc.

Also could anyone recommend anywhere to complete this work? I'm based in W.Yorkshire & don't mind travelling for best results just so long as it's not a million miles away.

Any advice is highly appreciated...

Tom

Same here Tom. I'm looking to go to Unicorn up in Stockport, which isn't far from you, as they seem well reviewed plus they have 4 wheel rolling road for my 3.0tdi. Will be requesting a price for DPF delete, EGR removal and remap today... Unless anyone has knowledge of similarly well regarded services down south?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sound of the car will change. I like it, but just take note of it. You need to do a DPF delete on the remap otherwise you'll be stuck with a warning on the cluster. My suggestion is to remove dpf completely and replace it with a downpipe that has tap in points for the sensors. You can just take out the filter bit and be stuck with the hollow casing, but you'll get better flow with a downpipe. It will smoke more without the DPF because theres nothing to capture and burn off the soot any more. Definitely worth getting rid of it which ever way you choose :)

Same here Tom. I'm looking to go to Unicorn up in Stockport, which isn't far from you, as they seem well reviewed plus they have 4 wheel rolling road for my 3.0tdi. Will be requesting a price for DPF delete, EGR removal and remap today... Unless anyone has knowledge of similarly well regarded services down south?

What do you call south ?

Have you had a quote for works from Unicorn? Or know which map they use?
I was considering using the Darkside developments DPF & EGR delete and then having it mapped by RS in Leeds.

Reactions: TheTomCutler
I was considering using the Darkside developments DPF & EGR delete and then having it mapped by RS in Leeds.

Not sure about what map they use, I assume it's their own (?). They upload their map which is most of the end result and then tailor it to your and your cars individual requirements to make sure it's running as best it possibly can. I was more than happy with the £650 quote for all the work.

Not sure about what map they use, I assume it's their own (?). They upload their map which is most of the end result and then tailor it to your and your cars individual requirements to make sure it's running as best it possibly can. I was more than happy with the £650 quote for all the work.

I've just done a search for Unicorn Tom and realised that one of the sponsors Rick(Unicorn) had been commenting on another DPF removal post I was reading last week, I couldn't remember who it was. Anyway other site members were giving great feedback about them. I'll give him a message and see what the score is, that's a very reasonable price indeed Did he say he would gut the internals or replace the section?

That's very reassuring. I believe it was gutting rather than a replacement piece although I'm not sure of the pros and cons of each method. Do let me know if you have info on that.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two methods is that a savvy mot inspector will see a replacement pipe and fail the car whereas it should be difficult to spot that the DPF unit has been modified (depending on welding skills of the tuner I suppose)

Did you manage to get a quote for this?

I recently got a quote for DPF delete, remap and 4x4 rolling road for £500 from a company just outside York. Had a quote a while back from a well known place in York for approx £1000 without a 4x4 rolling road... Prices can vary haha

Did you end up getting this kit ?

I’m tempted and I know Paul at rs tuning in Leeds done all my previous cars so will be taking my a4 to him too

I took the DPF off mine and smashed the cells out with bar and hammer. from the outside looks untouched

As said above get rid of the whole egr system makes turbo work a lot easier too

As for smoke it’s no worse than when was standard