DPF Regen?

BigMack

Reaction score
Evening guys.

I've owned diesel Audi's for a number of years but never one with a DPF.

I've recently acquired a 2014 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI (CGLC)
I normally only ever do fairly short journeys as my work commute is only around 3-4 miles each way.
Because of this, I'm a little worried that my DPF will never self regenerate.

This weekend I went on a camping trip to the Lake District and spent a significant time at speed on the A1, A66 and M6.
I'm hoping my car did a DPF regen during this trip.

So, my question is, is there any way to tell that the car is in the process of a regen or wether a regen has recently been carried out?

If so can I tell by the car alone or will I need to use VCDS?

Also, on a separate note, can a dipstick be fitted to this engine? I've done a quick search on the net but come up blank.

Thanks Fellas!

You need the VAG DPF app on Android to see what the DPF is doing. You’ll need Carisa or a similar Bluetooth device to plug into the car.

The DPF is very likely fine though. You may not notice the Regen, the exhaust get very hot and the engine has slightly higher revs. It’ll do it every few hundred miles. If it’s broken you’ll get a warning on the dash and the engine will stall.

Reactions: Sir Chumpalot and GeForce>XI<
Thanks cashutt.

There’s a free version and a paid version on the play store. Do you know if I can get away with the free one or will I need to purchase the other one?

cheers.

I tried the free app which had worked well. It’s showing that the car regen’d 139 miles ago. So that’ll have been on the way to the lakes. Happy days. It’s also showing 13.34g of soot currently in the DPF. Not sure what’s classed as high or low amounts though. Thanks again Cashutt!

Reactions: Sir Chumpalot
I had a thought. You can leave App running while you drive and watch the info change in real time. There is a progress bar across the top of the app showing how full the DPF is getting. It goes “bong” when it’s full and begins the regen. It’s mildly interesting if you like that sort of thing.