DPF activation

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
OK, my BiTdi is the first car I've owned that has a DPF, I know it randomly activates itself whenever it feels like it? In around 1k miles so far, I've felt it activating itself for maybe the 4th time today, so I make it around once every 250 miles, is this normal?

Also, I've noticed a drop in power/performance during it's activation, despite changing gear later in the rev range, is this totally normal aswell? I was caught out a couple of times joining onto traffic from a standing start today, the response was just not there, so floored it, nothing, then boom!, maximum boost launch, and almost coming out sideways in the wet!!

you mean regenerating' you doing short journeys all the time if so this will be the cause as you not letting it do its job
Yes, regeneration, I knew there was s term for it!

I don't consider I'm doing short journeys. If I fire her up, she's doing 5 miles at least... Usually.

Needs to be at least 20miles/20minutes normal driving to prevent this jo I believe!
That's why I went petrol

Try a run down the motorway alike and don't let it drop below 2k revs for 15-20 mins none stop, should regen and complete the cycle and get soot levels down and sort it out, short journeys are your problem

5 miles isn't a lot of miles I bet it's hardly reaching normal running temp is it ? . Only had mine about 5 months before I had it removed. I could always tell when it was doing a regen as the idle speed would increase and there was a slight drop in performance. Not as bad as what you are describing though. On longer trips , higher speeds the DPF will do a certain amount of passive regeneration as it will get hot enough. So regens will be less infrequent.
Around town that won't happen.
You can see whats going on with the regens with the measuring blocks on the ECU. It will show you calculated soot values as well as back pressure and time since the last regen. On your car you have 2 DPF's .

Karl.

I do longer journeys than you so I don't notice the regens so often but you can tell as it holds the gear a bit longer-almost as if it's cold. Certainly don't notice a big drop in performance.

Try a run down the motorway alike and don't let it drop below 2k revs for 15-20 mins none stop, should regen and complete the cycle and get soot levels down and sort it out, short journeys are your problem
That's the thing, the 3.0 rarely goes to 2k revs, and I had just come off the motorway after a 30 mile drive, and the car decides it needs a regen in ****** traffic! Lol

5 miles isn't a lot of miles I bet it's hardly reaching normal running temp is it ? . Only had mine about 5 months before I had it removed. I could always tell when it was doing a regen as the idle speed would increase and there was a slight drop in performance. Not as bad as what you are describing though. On longer trips , higher speeds the DPF will do a certain amount of passive regeneration as it will get hot enough. So regens will be less infrequent.
Around town that won't happen.
You can see whats going on with the regens with the measuring blocks on the ECU. It will show you calculated soot values as well as back pressure and time since the last regen. On your car you have 2 DPF's .

Karl.
Don't know about oil temps Karl, but the coolant temp get to operating temps in 2-3 miles.

It's getting to 90 degrees in 2-3 miles ? Wow that's good. I know they made a lot of changes to the newer 3.0 TDI engine with split cooling flow for the block and cylinder head but didn't think it would work that well. You could probably get the oil temp display on the cluster. It's something you can enable on the A4 on the newer cars think it comes with the lap timer.
http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...lp-me-enable-oil-temperature-monitor-2820090/

It's getting to 90 degrees in 2-3 miles ? Wow that's good. I know they made a lot of changes to the newer 3.0 TDI engine with split cooling flow for the block and cylinder head but didn't think it would work that well. You could probably get the oil temp display on the cluster. It's something you can enable on the A4 on the newer cars think it comes with the lap timer.
http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...lp-me-enable-oil-temperature-monitor-2820090/
Need the optional extra colour display to get the oil temp and boost gauge to work apparently? :(

Reactions: desertstorm
didn`t realise the colour display was a option .... lol I'm still finding out what mine has fitted from std.
My 2012 model has a mono DIS, white on black, and I think there was a colour optional extra? Only the colour version allows a few more VCDS features to be displayed apparently, like a boost gauge next to the rev counter, but I've not see a pic of this yet?

My 2012 model has a mono DIS, white on black, and I think there was a colour optional extra? Only the colour version allows a few more VCDS features to be displayed apparently, like a boost gauge next to the rev counter, but I've not see a pic of this yet?

Our early 2012 has the tech pack and we have the full colour DIS. It was one of hte first BiTDI to be delevered to customers in early June 2012.

Reactions: jojo
Totally off topic to the original enquiry! lol

Our early 2012 has the tech pack and we have the full colour DIS. It was one of hte first BiTDI to be delevered to customers in early June 2012.

The Boost Gauge/Oil temp is part of the lap timer function, which is only available for the colour DIS. I just tried to activate the lap timer on mine, it's a nono.

Vid below to show how to do it.

Back to the topic - I have a SQ5 withe bitdi engine and the dpf regens seemingly at random. The last one was after a 4 hour motorway run! The car stinks like its going to burst into flames but apparantly this is normal. Havnt noticed any loss of power etc when it does kick in. The issue seems to be that it revs so lazily its difficult to hold it above 2k revs for 10 minutes as they recommend. Still loving the torque!

Reactions: jojo
Back to the topic - I have a SQ5 withe bitdi engine and the dpf regens seemingly at random. The last one was after a 4 hour motorway run! The car stinks like its going to burst into flames but apparantly this is normal. Havnt noticed any loss of power etc when it does kick in. The issue seems to be that it revs so lazily its difficult to hold it above 2k revs for 10 minutes as they recommend. Still loving the torque!

Thank god you told me that, I've noticed the exact same smell occasionally on the way into work - c20 miles, and meant to ask if it was normal.......

You are right, it smells like it's just done a special stage, and something has been melting!!!

Phew

Thank god you told me that, I've noticed the exact same smell occasionally on the way into work - c20 miles, and meant to ask if it was normal.......

You are right, it smells like it's just done a special stage, and something has been melting!!!

Phew

Yup, did the research on this. If the regen cycle is not completed during driving, I think the cats are really hot, so the fans stay on to cool things down, hence the burning smell.

Last edited:
Reactions: gordie1973 and DaveW
Have noticed the fan on my current and previous 2.0 and wondered why it was on and also the burning smell. Thanks.