DownPipe intalation

luis.filipe

Reaction score
Hi,

I saw a downpipe at a good price on ebay.
I'm considering buying it.
One question that I have.
How easy is this to intall on a A3 1.8T with AGU engine ?
Thanks, regards

Luis

Very straight forward. Four bolts at the turbo outlet, a standard exhaust joint after the CAT and one lambda probe. Just exercise the same proceedure with any exhaust part that have been subjected to heat and cooling.
Be sure to soak the nuts with penetrating fluid a few hours before. You'll need to loosen the middle fastening of the centre pipe to the car if it hasn't already broken.

You can attack the probe with the exhaust off the car if it's easier, otherwise purchase the correct lambda probe fitting tool. Be sure not to get dirt on the probe end.

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

One question regarding the stock downpipe and cat.

Are they only one piece ? Or I can separate the downpipe from the cat
by unbolting a couple of bolts ?

Just for curiosity what's the size of the stock downpipe ?
I only know that's too restrictive.

Regards

The stock downpipe and CAT are one piece, so you need to replace the whole thing.

Stock non drive by wire (inc AGU) downpipe is 2.17" (55mm).
Drive by wire (AUM etc) downpipe is 1.97" (50mm).

Great even better!

I read here on the forum that the stock cat flows weel.

Is it a option to maintain the standard cat with a better downpipe ?

Ok assuming that I have someone to perform the job of separating the
cat from the stock downpipe.

I think you missunderstand. The CAT cannot be separated from the downpipe unless you cut through the pipe.

The stock cat on the A3 is restrictive, its the S3 that has the non-restrictive twin cat setup.

I personally would replace the downpipe and cat...........infact this is what I have done.

I understood that the downpipe and the cat are one piece only!

The idea was to cut.

What I haven't understood was that the not restrictive was the S3 system.

So, one question, if I upgrade to a 3" downpipe with no cat on a stock 1.8T, what power gains should I expect ?
I know that I'll have some trobules on the emission test!

Can't anyone provide feedback abou the gains that we might expect with this setup ?

Latter I want to buy a sports cat, but for now I'm interested in trying this approach and see what's going to happen!

If anyone can provide feedback I would appreciate.
Thanks

It will help a little but not too much if the boost is standard. Up the boost and you should see a solid 10hp more than upping the boost on stock DP.

But I would say go for a sports DP with Sports cat, a proper sports cat not a cheap nasty one!
Miltek and jettex are pricey but seem to work well. 2.5 inch and 3 inch options, not too much between them in all honesty, (i have had both). Get the best quality cat you can afford, and dont worry too mcuh on the pipe diameter.

Hi,

already installed the 3" downpipe on my A3 1.8T!

I bought it from ebay, from THS Performance, it's a direct bolt on
on the A3!

The only issue is that now I don't have cat installed, only a test pipe!

I'll have to solve the cat issue asap.

The sound of the turbo working is great, really funny.

About real gains, well only a little on low revs, had no time to make more tests, I'm thinking on performing a dyno to see the results.

I have the THS downpipe, going from the stock 1.5" to a 3" downpipe and decat without remapping to account for the change made me lose a LOT of torque.

Its a good unit, and I dont need to pass emissions tests but the torque loss was shocking until i had it remapped to suit.

I guess that sooner or later the next step will be the repro and a K03s.

One question regarding THS interooler (Fmic), I saw one on ebay.

Is this a good unit ?
Regards