Downpipe & Decat

imz

Reaction score
Sorry guys for starting a new thread but after reading threads upon threads I would appreciate clarification.

I have read the XS Power downpipe and decat which Welly helped get up to scratch is a good kit to go for. However, is XS Power the same as Turbo Revs and does someone have a link to their kit?

Also what else would be required?

I am on a standard s3 turbo to would Turbo Revs kit bolt on correctly?

If I upgrade my turbo in future would the kit no longer fit?

Which gaskets would I need?

Which bolts do I need to replace as I read some just don't cut it going back on?

Is there anything else I would need?

Ideally where possible part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't comment on that downpipe as I had a pipewerx one but even if it comes with gaskets, I would personally only use genuine oem ones. Obviously need a turbo to downpipe gasket and downpipe to decat gasket. I just used existing bolts for downpipe to decat pipe without any issues.

If you change the stock turbo to a hybrid you won't need to change the downpipe. If you go big turbo then you'll need a custom downpipe.

I have used the Turbo Rev's Downpipe and Decat pipe on my car in the last month.

The flexi section on the downpipe clashed with my Prop shaft and meant i needed to do a bit of cutting a shutting to make it fit without any rubbing so unless you are a competent home mechanic with a tig welder and a lot of time and patients i wouldn't bother tackling this on your own.
i would imagine there is a large tolerance with there kits so some might fit first time fine, im only going on what i received and my experience.

With regards to bolts etc, i found that the nuts from the turbo to the downpipe are very good quality so shouldn't need replacing, as long as they look in good condition and you dont snap a stud you should be fine, its just awkward to get them off, small stubby spanner or C spanner down the back of the engine for two of them and through the drivers wheel arch with about 5000 different socket extensions & Knuckle Joints to get anywhere near the last nut.

from what i've read there is a lot of difference in opinion with regards to gaskets, some go gasket-less, i personally wouldn't with a cheap downpipe as the flange is likely to be quite far off flat.

then you just need to decide what its bolting up to, depending on what center section you have on the car will depends what clamp you'll be using. i personally welded a V-band on to make it easier for the future.

all in all if i had known all this before i would have paid a Exhaust place to do it all for me and save myself one of the most painful jobs ive ever had to do on a car in my life.

Good luck if you do attempt it.

I really struggled with mine so removed the head from the car to undo the bolts on the old downpipe to turbo and needed to drill off a manifold to turbo bolt and buy a new post cat o2 sensor. I also had to cut the bracket off the new downpipe and feed it in from the engine bay as I couldn't get it in from the bottom (probably should have done that whilst the dog bone engine mount was off the car.
I did need a new timing belt etc and "believed" I had a head gasket leak in any case. if I have to do it again I would still remove the head it is easier doing it all from the top.

don't forget you need to upgrade the dog bone mount bush (at least the easy one) otherwise the pipe will rattle on the bodywork.