Downloading contacts from iPhone to MMI

RichardT

Reaction score
I have been having a problem for a few months with my contacts not always appearing in the MMI. Most of the time it seems to show just "My number".
The AUDI service dept have had several looks at it and failed to fix it after updating the MMI etc etc.

I have now figured out the problem myself.
As I’m sure you are aware, when you have the iPhone setup to accept the fingerprint feature to unlock, that feature will only work ONCE THE PHONE HAS BEEN UNLOCKED MANUALLY (ie by entering the pin code).

What I have now found is that the contacts will only download to the MMI once the phone has been manually unlocked. After that, even if the phone then locks itself, contacts will appear in the MMI.

Of course, this doesn’t affect all the youngsters who keep their phone on permanently, but being an old chap, I only use my phone when I am out and normally switch it off in the house.

So, many times, I will turn it on when going out and turn it off again when I return and not unlocking it at all.

I am now getting into the habit of unlocking the phone when I switch it on and the contacts always appear in the MMI – happy days.

I just thought that I would post on here in case any one else has the same problem!!

PS - I'm pretty sure this was not the case when I first had the iPhone. It must have been triggered by an update.

I thought there was an option when you first connect it to the car which says something along the lines of "Let mmi see all contacts"??? Could be wrong!

Yes, I think there is. But the point is that they won't download if the phone is "hard" locked.
It does still pair and accept calls - just doesn't show contacts.

Hmm my contacts show on the virtual cockpit whether the phone is locked or not.

Reactions: S32B
Hmm my contacts show on the virtual cockpit whether the phone is locked or not.
Same here, not on VC but on the MMi.

I'd try deleting it from your car and then adding it again, making sure you select the allow all contacts.

Reactions: Tom.H
That's been done many times to try to fix.
Remember, it only doesn't work if you haven't MANUALLY UNLOCKED with your pin.

That's been done many times to try to fix.
Remember, it only doesn't work if you haven't MANUALLY UNLOCKED with your pin.

When you say manually unlocked, you mean as in having put the pass code in? I never put the pass code in or even unlock the phone in the car as it's in my pocket. Just get in, phone connects and all my contacts are there for me to choose.

When you say manually unlocked, you mean as in having put the pass code in? I never put the pass code in or even unlock the phone in the car as it's in my pocket. Just get in, phone connects and all my contacts are there for me to choose.
Same here, phone can be in my pocket for hours, as soon as I get into the car and it connects to the MMi all contact are there and I haven't physically touched the phone at all!

Same here, phone can be in my pocket for hours, as soon as I get into the car and it connects to the MMi all contact are there and I haven't physically touched the phone at all!

OK. When you you say you haven't touched the phone at all, do you mean SINCE YOU TURNED IT ON?
When you turn the phone on you cannot unlock it just by fingerprint recognition. You have to enter your passcode once. Then it's fine until you turn the phone off.

I think this is a phone issue and not MMI as my iPhone wouldn't connect to my apple watch or beats earphones in the gym today. Couldn't understand why but realised it was because just before i left the house i did a software update and hadn't unlocked my phone since it had restarted. i think you need to unlock the phone after restart so it authorises certain features. Must say though, think this will be a non-issue as most people dont turn off their phone...ever!

Reactions: S32B
I think this is a phone issue and not MMI as my iPhone wouldn't connect to my apple watch or beats earphones in the gym today. Couldn't understand why but realised it was because just before i left the house i did a software update and hadn't unlocked my phone since it had restarted. i think you need to unlock the phone after restart so it authorises certain features. Must say though, think this will be a non-issue as most people dont turn off their phone...ever!
Yes - this is what I said at the start - it will only affect old farts like me who only have my phone on when I am out of the house :hi:

Reactions: Ormesome
OK. When you you say you haven't touched the phone at all, do you mean SINCE YOU TURNED IT ON?
When you turn the phone on you cannot unlock it just by fingerprint recognition. You have to enter your passcode once. Then it's fine until you turn the phone off.
I never turn my phone off, it is always on. At night I put it into flight mode so I don't get disturbed. The most I ever have to do is fingerprint unlock, unless I have to fully restart the phone after an update etc which then requires the numerical code.

I never turn my phone off, it is always on. At night I put it into flight mode so I don't get disturbed. The most I ever have to do is fingerprint unlock, unless I have to fully restart the phone after an update etc which then requires the numerical code.
Right so that explains why you don't see the problem!
Try turning your iphone off and on again and you will see tht the contacts don't appear unless you unlock your phone (using the code)

Right so that explains why you don't see the problem!
Try turning your iphone off and on again and you will see tht the contacts don't appear unless you unlock your phone (using the code)
Ahhh I see what you are getting at now, read your 1st post again...just threw me as I never turn it off :) But I see what you are saying...:)