Double-din conversion clarification

phil_w

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Just after a bit of advice (as usual) - I can only find reference to double din conversions where proper climate control units are fitted - is it also possible with manual AC units like mine (see pic)?

Anyone done it - or know what happens to the unit during the process?

Cheers

3493126113_22a3ffe7ae_o_d.jpg

Thats the 1st time I have seen the model without the Climate control, just air con! I think we are all on uncharted territory with this one. I would pop it out as you would the other version buy pulling from the bottom. Im assuming it will have the cables for the flaps so it may not come out too far. Hopefully this will let you see in behind & let you know if it is possible to trim the edges & if it has space in behind to fit it lower & further into the dashboard. There does look like there is space on the front of the panel to trim without affecting the controls/moulding lines.

Best of luck.

I don't think a double din version of that exists? Also, cannot just put a normal climate unit in - other gubbins don't allow for that...

I had a look on ETKA, I couldnt see any specific mention of single or double DIN for the part. There are different part numbers over the years but that could just be revisions or parts superseded.

Just had a thought. Everything (even standard) has been double din since late 2007/early 2008 hasn't it?

So any revised part number could well be the right unit. I'll have another scour through ETKA on a later year...

Is manual aircon still available from 07/08 anyway.

But ref your idea, I'd be little concerned about the cables for the manual unit given the lengths are specific to the height of the fixed unit, if you lower it could add slack to the cables thus the dials not work as they should, remove radio & check behind the units 1st, I suspect you could still fix this lower down if cables not affected, its same shape as climate so shouldnt be an issue, remove the lower parts & let it sit lower down & see if any issues with dials 1st before doing anything else

My partner has a '57 plate A3 Special Edition; that came with manual a/c and a double din Concert II+ CD player (which might have been an upgrade from the standard unit?), so a double din version of the manual a/c defintely exists.

If you want pictures let me know and I'll take some tomorrow :thumbsup:

Peter

That'd be great if you could - imagine its the same as mine but lower :)

Many thanks

Thats good news. The actual facia parts is seperate from the actual rotary knobs & the housing they sit in. Would be good if PeterS was able to get the part number off of LOL

Although looking more closely it's a little more involved; the switch panel/cupholder is now under the stereo, and the cupholder is replaced with a card drawer...

Peter

it looks like hopefully from the photos it might just be that the clip on facia that has changed

So I think the 8P0 863 263 B revison to that part must be do with the lower position and theerfore narrower bottom...

I'll get myself one I think (I don't think it'll be much) and try it before going the whole hog.

As per NHN says though, my initial concern would be the flexible shafts behind - removed one accidentally once at it was a pain to get right again...

The part numbers for those don't seem to have changed though...

Just after a bit of advice (as usual) - I can only find reference to double din conversions where proper climate control units are fitted - is it also possible with manual AC units like mine (see pic)?

Anyone done it - or know what happens to the unit during the process?

Cheers

3493126113_22a3ffe7ae_o_d.jpg
hi guys am new here i attempted this retrofit but the problem am having is the spingy rod behind the air con vent control is not long enough to reach the whole inside can i extent this some how any advice would be appreciated

Sorry fella - I sold the car shortly after my post above (2009) - got tired of always wanting it to be something it wasn't :-(