Doors not opening- many faults, control module??

Carly

Reaction score
Hi there, hope I’m posting in the right forum, I brought an Audi A3 sport back 5 door around a month ago, it was ok and then suddenly the boot and two back doors wouldn’t open. Then the front windscreen wipers went and then a bulb went. I took it to a local garage who are audi approved, they said that they thought it was the control module. They ordered one in and as they started to fit it they said they found a corroded/dodgy wire which they fixed. This made the windscreen washers and the boot open.. but the back doors were still stuck. The garage said I needed 2 new back door central locking mechanisms so these were replaced ( although I did think it a big coincidence that they would both go at the same time) all great got it home and all worked ok. ( not sure we checked passenger side) The following day ( yesterday) I went out and no sooner had I got to my destination my passenger door was doing exactly the same, wouldn’t open from the outside! Still won’t, I’m really worried that the garage got it wrong and it was the control module not the central locking as I think the chances of a third door going in the time frame is unrealistic. I would appreciate any views on this but I’m not up with the jargon so as simple as possible please. The garage have said to take it back in to put on the computer. I’m thinking they might try and charge me for another door lock ( obviously I don’t know this) the garage seem really decent and have kept me informed all the way. Worst thing is the MOT is due at the beginning of January and it will fail with this fault. I’ve already paid out £700 and literally can’t afford any more. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Look on the Vcds map on site snd find someone close by and Politely PM them and see if they would be willing to autoscan your car to see if any faults are thrown up .
I am surprised your garsge never did this to start with before doing any other work . Hope this helps

Look on the Vcds map on site snd find someone close by and Politely PM them and see if they would be willing to autoscan your car to see if any faults are thrown up .
I am surprised your garsge never did this to start with before doing any other work . Hope this helps
I believe they did and it came up with a fault on the back doors, they said they need to now put it back on the computer and see what comes up. My brother in law is a mechanic and he said that the doors on these often go and once one goes it’s likely to make the others go. Thank you for your reply

Hi Carly, if you need a vcds scan contact @THQuattro I’m sure he will be able to scan your car.

How old is the car?

Door solenoids are a common problem on our cars so if they are going one by one, don’t be surprised. Are the ones that have been changed still working ok? If yes, the garage are fixing the problems. It’s just unfortunate for you the front passenger solenoid is going faulty as well.
The door locks are not going to fail the mot as long as the tester can get in the car ok, so make sure all doors are open when you hand him the key.

Reactions: Carly
Three door locks all went within a few weeks, I thought it was the module but it turned out to be the locks. Replaced all three for about 750 and haven't had any trouble since

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Carly
Thank you everyone, your help has been great. It was just the door central locking. Apparently when one goes they can all go! Once they are replaced they shouldn’t go again as it’s apparently a common fault!

How old is the car?

Door solenoids are a common problem on our cars so if they are going one by one, don’t be surprised. Are the ones that have been changed still working ok? If yes, the garage are fixing the problems. It’s just unfortunate for you the front passenger solenoid is going faulty as well.
The door locks are not going to fail the mot as long as the tester can get in the car ok, so make sure all doors are open when you hand him the key.
Thank you for your help, you were right. It’s all fixed now. For that problem anyway!

Three door locks all went within a few weeks, I thought it was the module but it turned out to be the locks. Replaced all three for about 750 and haven't had any trouble since

Thank you Jamie, it was that, thanks for your help.

Reactions: jamiepaton5
Hope you got it all done for less than £750
I still have the reciept, its over 150 each for a lock from VW, i didnt want to go for a cheap version from ebay as i didnt want to be doing it again, then labour on top of that. It was just under 700. Expensive but thats Audi prices for you.