door trim and lock strip corrosion fix

jcb

Reaction score
well after compiling a list of cars and dealers who have done this under warranty, i got a pretty short answer from Audi Edinburgh. In fact they were f**king rude!

so I bought the two door "sail trim" peices and had halfords mix me some paint for the lock strip.

Door trims were easy to fit apart from the fact that Audi supplied the right one without any thread tapped in for the fixing bolt! something they have now tried to pass off as a standard feature. apparently you have to tap you own threads on OEM parts now!! The ******** I have had from Audi Edinburgh is unreal.
Anyway, lon gstory short it is an easy job, first one was a bit fiddly and took 15-20 mins to sort, second was much easier and took less than 10 mins. and audi were going to charge £109 labour for that job!! robbing b@stards.

didn't buy a new lock strip, just whipped it out, sanded it flat, few coats of primer, flat it off, couple of coats of halfords best, couple of coats of lacquer and it was back on the following day looking as good as new.
takes about 40 mins to remove, dismantle and refit. paint and prep is longer but you can lock the boot whilst it is off.

don;t pay audi to do it if they are not willing to pay for it under warranty, do it youself, saved myself £350!!

anyone want any directions feel free to ask, was too lazy to take pics and write a FAQ for it.

That part's notorious for corrosion.

The reason I deleted mine completely.

did you weld it up?