Door speaker high pitch whine with aftermarket headunit?

mi21

Reaction score
I've installed a Sony XAV-1500 to my 2011 A3 S-Line with Bose speakers and everything was working great until I started the ignition, the main speakers all work but there's an intermittent high pitch whine from the two (are they tweeters?) small speakers next to the door handles in the rear. Its only present when the ignition is on which makes me think its a grounding issue? I'm unsure how its fine with the OG head unit and not this one though?

The whine is maybe every 20 seconds? Lasts about 6 seconds or so and then stops. Anyone dealt with anything similar?

Sounds like there's some interference with your head unit (could be that the head unit isn't properly grounded). I have this noise/whine as well on some other products such as my Xiaomi Mi Box S.

If it's still under warranty, try to get a replacement, because it can be an internal issue as well.

Reactions: mi21
Sounds like there's some interference with your head unit (could be that the head unit isn't properly grounded). I have this noise/whine as well on some other products such as my Xiaomi Mi Box S.

If it's still under warranty, try to get a replacement, because it can be an internal issue as well.
Cheers! I haven't updated this in a while but I eventually just bought two RCA Noise suppressors, fitted them and the intermittent whine is almost inaudible now. I'm going to try and ground the head unit when I get chance and that should hopefully kill the whine permanently!

Reactions: FPSUsername
Known issue with Bose and aftermarket HU. Ground loop, plus how bose is wired coupled with the fact the alternator isn’t filtered and more power is being drawn.
I used an auto leads harness with built in suppression that cured it in the end.

Known issue with Bose and aftermarket HU. Ground loop, plus how bose is wired coupled with the fact the alternator isn’t filtered and more power is being drawn.
I used an auto leads harness with built in suppression that cured it in the end.

I have the same issue as described above, I recently changed my alternator belt/drive belt and now I'm getting a high pitched noise which lasts around 3 seconds and then stops and then repeats 30 seconds later. You mentioned that you used auto leads harness etc to fix the issue but I'm not sure what this is, can you explain how you fixed this issue please?