Door problems?

rhys084

Reaction score
My driver side door seems to require a lot of travel from the outside handle before it opens compared with the other doors. I've heard this can be adjusted and if left may result in the door eventually not opening from the outside.

What is the process for making this adjustment?

Many thanks.

You have remove frame from door.
Unclip threaded bar and adjust it up or down.

Not a pleasant job.
I did mine last year, managed to pull frame back rather than remove it.

You have remove frame from door.
Unclip threaded bar and adjust it up or down.

Not a pleasant job.
I did mine last year, managed to pull frame back rather than remove it.

Hi, it is possible to do this without removing the frame, I did mine last year, its not easy though. You need to do this by feel really.
First take the internal door card off. There is a threaded rod that come down from the internal latch with a black plastic clip that holds it in place. You need to pull downwards on this clip and it will come off. Adjust the rod (upwards) and then push the clip back on. I was dreading doing this job but only took about 10 mins in the end.

Good Luck!

if you take this job on as i have twice now my biggest tip (learnt the hard way) is to completely remove the inside of the door trim until you are completely certain you have adjusted it correctly. If you over adjust you cant open the door from inside or outside after locking door and if the trim is in place it is extreamly hard to get to the connecting rod to release the mechanism! Completely remove it and leave it off for a day or so just to be sure.

if you take this job on as i have twice now my biggest tip (learnt the hard way) is to completely remove the inside of the door trim until you are completely certain you have adjusted it correctly. If you over adjust you cant open the door from inside or outside after locking door and if the trim is in place it is extreamly hard to get to the connecting rod to release the mechanism! Completely remove it and leave it off for a day or so just to be sure.

Spot on, I was just about to post the same - If you don't follow this advice, you will end up with either a destroyed door card, or a hole cut in your door to resolve it - trust me!

Spot on, I was just about to post the same - If you don't follow this advice, you will end up with either a destroyed door card, or a hole cut in your door to resolve it - trust me!

... in my case managed to rectify without destroying anything but it was stressful! pulled door card up enough to squeeze hand in enough to pass coat hanger cut down with loop on one end which I managed to locate on the connecting rod between the door handle and the mechanism and with a sharp pull it (thank goodness) disengaged and released the mechanism. My arm ended up covered in cuts & bruises though but I preferred this than a massive cost having to replace destroyed door or door trim.