Door pockets - felt lining

Ormesome

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Recently had an Alfa Romeo Stelvio as a hire car and really liked the felt lining in the door pockets. Forgot what a difference this makes and since getting back in my Audi, it’s become more and more annoying, everything just rattles around! Has anyone lined the A3 door pockets? Is there a package I can buy just to glue in? I did do a search but nothing came up. I can’t be the only one that this annoys!!

:icon thumright:

Reactions: Fatbloke
Interested in this myself. I was chasing a rattle in my RS3 for a week, and discovered it was just a sunglasses holder my missus had put in the passenger side door. Why these are such hard plastic I have no idea, everything slides around. I came across these things:

Amazon product

They are cheaper on aliexpress and come in white and black as well, but they may have a gaudy logo on them and fit poorly for all I know. But they are the only door liner I've found.

Interested in this myself. I was chasing a rattle in my RS3 for a week, and discovered it was just a sunglasses holder my missus had put in the passenger side door. Why these are such hard plastic I have no idea, everything slides around. I came across these things:

Amazon product

They are cheaper on aliexpress and come in white and black as well, but they may have a gaudy logo on them and fit poorly for all I know. But they are the only door liner I've found.

Yeah it’s super annoying isn’t it. After just throwing the keys in the door pocket of the Alfa, coming back to the Audi made me realise how rattly things get, even a water bottle creaks around with every bump. Really want to get it done. I can’t see the link or photo you attached but I think I have an idea of what you mean. I would like to felt the whole pocket so things like bottles etc don’t thud higher up.

Yeah it’s super annoying isn’t it. After just throwing the keys in the door pocket of the Alfa, coming back to the Audi made me realise how rattly things get, even a water bottle creaks around with every bump. Really want to get it done. I can’t see the link or photo you attached but I think I have an idea of what you mean. I would like to felt the whole pocket so things like bottles etc don’t thud higher up.

Ah sorry pal the amazon link doesn't work on here I guess. If you search Aliexpress for "non-slip Audi A3 mat liner" you will find it. They don't look great TBH, but might do the trick. Aye absolutely anything put in there just slides around and rattles. There is such a lack of storage in these cars to begin with, it's pretty poor that they can't really be used.

Reactions: zac7654321
Annoying that Audi don't do it as standard, my GTI TCR has felt lining in all the door pockets.

Reactions: Ormesome and Kayobong
Annoying that Audi don't do it as standard, my GTI TCR has felt lining in all the door pockets.

Even my GTI has the felt lining, it's actually very handy.

Reactions: Chris4410 and Fatbloke
Had a Golf GTI courtesy vehicle while my A3 was in the dealers not getting fixed (again).

It had felt linings. What an absolute pleasure that car was to drive. Far superior to the A3.

It would be good to get some cut to size felt linings for the A3 but not found any yet.

Reactions: KenL, Kayobong and Ormesome
Morning gents,

Stumbled across this post this morning. As it happens I actually manufacture those felt parts for JLR, Nissan, Mclaren, Aston Martin etc. My company supplies anti- rattle, anti vibration, sound deadening and thermal/ acoustic parts to the automotive indutry. A few pictures below! It's good to see people enjoy them and think they make a difference!

They are manufactured here in the UK ( hoorah!). They have an adhesive backing ( the yellow tape in the pictures) The end user pulls this tape back and then applies the parts in the vehicle. You would also be surprised how many of these parts are placed out of sight in your vehicles!

Attachments

• IMG_6358.JPG
    IMG_6358.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 613
  • IMG_6362.JPG
    IMG_6362.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 650
Reactions: CHEZ, KenL, illingworth22 and 3 others
Make some that fit the A3 perfectly and you'll make a fortune :). Given that there are bumps and curves and contours in the door pocket on these cars I'm not sure felt would work. A moulded silicone might be what'd needed.

it should work as a charm if we knew how to install it properly... the opening is not that big so u probably wouldn't notice any creases... but you would know about them and that would probably diminish the felling of happiness

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Reactions: alpesh26
Morning gents,

Stumbled across this post this morning. As it happens I actually manufacture those felt parts for JLR, Nissan, Mclaren, Aston Martin etc. My company supplies anti- rattle, anti vibration, sound deadening and thermal/ acoustic parts to the automotive indutry. A few pictures below! It's good to see people enjoy them and think they make a difference!

They are manufactured here in the UK ( hoorah!). They have an adhesive backing ( the yellow tape in the pictures) The end user pulls this tape back and then applies the parts in the vehicle. You would also be surprised how many of these parts are placed out of sight in your vehicles!

Do you sell this material to the public? If allowed, it might be worth setting up a group buy...especially with Audi starting to use cheaper materials.

Reactions: Fatbloke and CraigM
All,

I have never considered selling this to the public.. However, as we all have something in common I don't mind giving this a go. My company also has a digital cutter, If you guys can provide me with dimensions I may be able to give this a go. I do own an S3, my door pockets have 'bumps' in them, so this would mean the felt COULD be hard to apply..

Digital cutters normally work off PDF drawings ( I have no idea where we could find those for A3 door pockets)

I am not promising anything but I can give this a go!

Attachments

• DSC06421.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 303
Reactions: CHEZ, KenL and TonyJ999
All,

Next week I will get one of my guys to draw up my S3 door pocket, and see if I can get a nice fit. I will go for the front ones.

Is it just the base of the pocket people want lining? They are quite deep, if its the whole pocket right upto the top lip people want doing that can most likely, be done but I can imagine that will be a nightmare to apply. Are people happy with just the base of the pocket lined?

Out of interest what cars do people have that need doing? Are different models ( a3/ a4/ a5/ a6) using different size door pockets?

I will let you know how I get on next week.

An example below, what's really nice is when you want to remove the felt, it leaves no residue on the surface. Sticks well, feels nice.

Attachments

• IMG_6407.JPG
    IMG_6407.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 600
Reactions: alpesh26
Next week I will get one of my guys to draw up my S3 door pocket, and see if I can get a nice fit. I will go for the front ones..
The existing rubber insert in the bottom of the door pocket comes out, so drawing one up shouldn't be too taxing.

Winkle that b*gger out, slap it on a bit of paper, run a pen round it and Robert's your mother's brother.

It has its own part number: 8V3868134

Reactions: Mick3 and Ormesome
The existing rubber insert in the bottom of the door pocket comes out, so drawing one up shouldn't be too taxing.

Winkle that b*gger out, slap it on a bit of paper, run a pen round it and Robert's your mother's brother.

It has its own part number: 8V3868134

Really handy knowing that! Will remove the rubber next week and get an accurate drawing.

All,

Next week I will get one of my guys to draw up my S3 door pocket, and see if I can get a nice fit. I will go for the front ones.

Is it just the base of the pocket people want lining? They are quite deep, if its the whole pocket right upto the top lip people want doing that can most likely, be done but I can imagine that will be a nightmare to apply. Are people happy with just the base of the pocket lined?

Out of interest what cars do people have that need doing? Are different models ( a3/ a4/ a5/ a6) using different size door pockets?

I will let you know how I get on next week.

An example below, what's really nice is when you want to remove the felt, it leaves no residue on the surface. Sticks well, feels nice.

For me, I would want the front pockets doing up to the top lip. The rubber mat keeps things fairly quiet in there but its things rubbing on the side and the inside of the door pocket that makes noise. I tried sticking some harness tape in there but it isn't thick enough to work.

What body shape is the S3 you will be using for making the templates? I'm guessing the door pockets will be different shapes for the sportback, saloon, 3dr and cabriolet

For me, I would want the front pockets doing up to the top lip. The rubber mat keeps things fairly quiet in there but its things rubbing on the side and the inside of the door pocket that makes noise. I tried sticking some harness tape in there but it isn't thick enough to work.

What body shape is the S3 you will be using for making the templates? I'm guessing the door pockets will be different shapes for the sportback, saloon, 3dr and cabriolet

No problem, I will look at doing a full covering.

Just so everyone is aware I am basing the design of my S3 saloon & I have an a3 sportback.

Reactions: RobF, AlS3BE and alpesh26
Has anyone tried something like this?

Looks easier, spray glue and essentially dust it off with fibres so you get that felt feel? Not sure about the longevity of it.

Good afternoon,

Recently had an Alfa Romeo Stelvio as a hire car and really liked the felt lining in the door pockets. Forgot what a difference this makes and since getting back in my Audi, it’s become more and more annoying, everything just rattles around! Has anyone lined the A3 door pockets? Is there a package I can buy just to glue in? I did do a search but nothing came up. I can’t be the only one that this annoys!!

:icon thumright:

Really? I have seen these on the Alfa..it felt like sticking your hand in a sick bag. Yuk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ormesome
Has anyone tried something like this?

Looks easier, spray glue and essentially dust it off with fibres so you get that felt feel? Not sure about the longevity of it.

Surely after 12 months that’s just going to turn into car dandruff with bald spots???

Surely after 12 months that’s just going to turn into car dandruff with bald spots???

suppose that will depend on the glue and fibres.
Wouldn’t do that for high traffic type areas but I generally keep little in the door pockets so could last ages.

Really? I have seen these on the Alfa..it felt like sticking your hand in a sick bag. Yuk.

Didn’t stick my hand in the door pocket mate!! Just noticed it was nicely lined and didn’t rattle my keys or water bottle as I drove, unlike my Audi!

All,

Initial designs have gone well. I have come up with 3. My biggest worry with some of these is the application in your car, as it could be fiddly.

I have made a design that goes OVER the rubber matt, and does NOT go up the side of the pocket to the lip. The reason being is I cannot see how you will be able to apply the felt up the side of the pocket easily without it creasing.

The second design is as above, but includes the liner up to the lip. However, I just don't think it will be feasible for application. I made it as a few of you wanted full coverage.

I have also made a design that does not have the rubber cut out & instead you remove your rubber tray and place the felt underneath. You then just put the tray away until you sell the car!

Remember this is just an initial design. If people agree I would like to pursue just the matt covering design ( no side cover up the side of the door pocket)
& also the same design but for use without the rubber matt.

Attachments

• IMG_6762.JPG
    IMG_6762.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 570
  • IMG_6766.JPG
    IMG_6766.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 578
Reactions: Ash187, Joxh, Booti and 2 others
Well played Sir. I tried doing something this myself and know just how ****** difficult it is!!! IMG_6762 looks promising for me and I would agree taking the rubber mat out is a better move... :icon thumright:

All,

Bottom felt complete with side felt in place also ( Speaker side). I have sent a member some samples to try on their car. If feedback is good I will get these on my website for you to buy.

As you can see from image 2, I have even scored the adhesive on the base rubber felt to make application easier.

1. Remove rubber tray, apply tray felt.
2. apply side felt FIRST before re inserting rubber tray.
3. insert rubber tray.
4. all complete, inside door will be covered as will base.

The side felt even has the cut out for those of you with the B&O sound system. If you run your hand inside the door pocket you will feel mthis plastic buldge, the side felt is designed to work around that.

Fingers crossed the samples are enjoyed!

Attachments

• IMG_7080.JPG
    IMG_7080.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 491
  • IMG_7079.JPG
    IMG_7079.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Reactions: Booti, TonyJ999, HertS3 and 1 other person
All,

Bottom felt complete with side felt in place also ( Speaker side). I have sent a member some samples to try on their car. If feedback is good I will get these on my website for you to buy.

As you can see from image 2, I have even scored the adhesive on the base rubber felt to make application easier.

1. Remove rubber tray, apply tray felt.
2. apply side felt FIRST before re inserting rubber tray.
3. insert rubber tray.
4. all complete, inside door will be covered as will base.

The side felt even has the cut out for those of you with the B&O sound system. If you run your hand inside the door pocket you will feel mthis plastic buldge, the side felt is designed to work around that.

Fingers crossed the samples are enjoyed!

Good job:icon thumright:
What about the door card side of the pocket?
Looks easier than the side you’ve done already and only a screw hole to avoid or is this asking too much :wink:

Reactions: TonyJ999
Good job:icon thumright:
What about the door card side of the pocket?
Looks easier than the side you’ve done already and only a screw hole to avoid or is this asking too much :wink:

I knew someone would ask :rock:

I did give it a go, in all honestly it is so so so very hard to apply the felt accurately for that area. I could make it, but I worry about people getting it to fit right, its such a large surface area, the adhesive on the bottom of the felt sticks straight away so it's next to impossible to apply well.

I will do one for my car & send a picture of it fitted next week. I just don't want any unhappy people!

Reactions: AlS3BE
I knew someone would ask :rock:

I did give it a go, in all honestly it is so so so very hard to apply the felt accurately for that area. I could make it, but I worry about people getting it to fit right, its such a large surface area, the adhesive on the bottom of the felt sticks straight away so it's next to impossible to apply well.

I will do one for my car & send a picture of it fitted next week. I just don't want any unhappy people!

can you use something like soapy water so it’s less sticky till it dries? Kind of like applying window tint, soap up the window so it gives you some slip to get right and squeeze the air bubbles out.

All,

Sent out samples to a fellow member & he liked them. He has however also added a covering for the rear door card would be ideal ( the plastic you can see if you look down).

I have a large job on the machine at the moment for JLR, once completed Il whip up a design and get them done! I haven't forgotten!

Reactions: Joxh, TonyJ999 and CHEZ
I’d be verrry interested in a set of these for the B9 A4 Avant/sedan (I assume they share the same door cards/bins).

If you need a test subject I’d be more than happy to test for patterns you can make up.

I also have access to some equipment at work that I could potentially use to make up some (probably too) accurate scans of the door bins if required.

Let me know if this could be of interest.

Cheers!

Did anything come of this project I'm still very interested in something like this for my car

Reactions: TonyJ999, Fatbloke and Potterswheel
Not that I’m aware of I’m afraid.

I also would have liked a set of these!

Good news fellow 8V owners. I have tracked down a seller who's selling these felt lining cut outs for the 8V. I got mine the other day and I've just put in the armrest compartment inserts. Impressions:
Quality isn't amazing, feels a little cheaper compared to my mum's golf R 7.5 so I'd give quality a 6/10
The fitment seems pretty good lining up the door card inserts. Lazer cut I think and I don't have any complaints, I have a small gap but that's my poor installation. 9/10.
Adhesive is very sticky and doesn't leave a residue. You can pull it from the trim multiple times and not leave a residue or lose any tackyness. 10/10. Quick photo of the armrest compartment but I'll upload pics of the other bits. Contains all door cards, armrest and cupholder.

Attachments

• 20220714_185900.jpg
    20220714_185900.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 123
  • 20220714_185907.jpg
    20220714_185907.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_20220714-192107_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220714-192107_Chrome.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_20220714-192111_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220714-192111_Chrome.jpg
    646.3 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: Mick3, alpesh26 and JohnM100
Good news fellow 8V owners. I have tracked down a seller who's selling these felt lining cut outs for the 8V. I got mine the other day and I've just put in the armrest compartment inserts. Impressions:
Quality isn't amazing, feels a little cheaper compared to my mum's golf R 7.5 so I'd give quality a 6/10
The fitment seems pretty good lining up the door card inserts. Lazer cut I think and I don't have any complaints, I have a small gap but that's my poor installation. 9/10.
Adhesive is very sticky and doesn't leave a residue. You can pull it from the trim multiple times and not leave a residue or lose any tackyness. 10/10. Quick photo of the armrest compartment but I'll upload pics of the other bits. Contains all door cards, armrest and cupholder.
Any link to these? Can't seem to find them when I search