Door not shutting

6833jon

Reaction score
HI, I am experiencing a problem with my A6 and looking for advice... When its frosty my drivers door will not shut, the door just bounces!! If you pull the inside door handle, it does not spring back either. Once the car has been running for 10 mins or so it will eventually shut.

I have tried spraying duck oil and wd40 on the end of the door, and this has made no difference. Also, this morning, I managed to get the door to shut by slamming before the car was warm, but then it would not open!

Thanks

Jon

Water through the window seal enters the lock assembly (which happen to be in a nice plastic case) then freezes.
Hair dryer or heat gun with the door panel off normally sorts. Gentle heating for 15 mins to force the water out and presto the lock works (until it fills up again).

Thanks for the reply TYphoon, how easily does the door panel come off?

With the door open there are two screws at the top one on the lock side and one on the opposite side unscrew then pop out the window switches with a blunt instrument from behind and the whole window switch plate should come out .
Then simply lift and it should slide out easily .
Surprising how easy it actually is compared to some other cars i have had !

What he said. There is a hole under the armrest to pop the switch panel.. Worth getting to know as you will do a window regulator sometime. You only need access no need to pull all the other cables behind.

Reactions: adamss24
What he said. There is a hole under the armrest to pop the switch panel.. Worth getting to know as you will do a window regulator sometime. You only need access no need to pull all the other cables behind.
So true, done 2 today !

Thanks for your replys... Any other tips for the task?

Thanks for your tips. I have taken the door panel off and tried putting a hairdrier to it, and sprayed some wd40 as well. Would it be worth adding some insulation to the inside of the door to help prevent it freezing?

Also the lock switch is not working on the door card - the unlock works though. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?