Door Card Armrest Creaking

Tictap

Reaction score
The wife's just got herself a 2015 3 door A3 sline, it's got an annoying creaking coming from the passenger door armrest, does anyone know if these are screwed on from the rear of the door card or if they are bonded on.

Usually bolted on from the inner side of the card, I would remove the card, unbolt, clean the surfaces, maybe add some hidden thin felt strip & refit, but check once of, if it's the arm as it could be the tension, weight on the arm is making the card or parts move against other areas causing the creaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tictap
Usually bolted on from the inner side of the card, I would remove the card, unbolt, clean the surfaces, maybe add some hideen thin felt strip & refit, but check once of, if it's the arm as it could be the tension, weight on the arm is making the card or parts move against other areas causing the creaking.
Thanks for the quick reply, I didn't want to start pulling the door card off if it wasn't possible to tighten it from the inside. I'll give it a go at the weekend.

Removing the door card is easy - pop off the speaker grille and remove two Torx screws, then another Torx under the door handle/armrest and then using a reasonably wide spudger, lever the card out of its poppers along the edges.

Whilst you have it off, check the tightness of the other screws in the door. I had an annoying vibration buzz that I found was caused by the screws that hold the doorlock in position coming loose. Also worth adding some bits of self-adhesive foam padding onto high points which the door card touches or almost touches.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/drivers-door-rattle-buzz.304237/

You may find that the handle is both plastic riveted and screwed onto the card. Perhaps some of the rivers are broken but you can use (Audi) screws to replace the rivers to sort it.

You may find that the handle is both plastic riveted and screwed onto the card. Perhaps some of the rivers are broken but you can use (Audi) screws to replace the rivers to sort it.
There is no may about it, unless the door card has been repaired, the official repair procedure uses screws, the handle will be plastic welded in place.

official repair screws:

F47DA0B8 B43B 4812 B833 08C265045439

Reactions: Joxh
Removing the door card is easy - pop off the speaker grille and remove two Torx screws, then another Torx under the door handle/armrest and then using a reasonably wide spudger, lever the card out of its poppers along the edges.

Whilst you have it off, check the tightness of the other screws in the door. I had an annoying vibration buzz that I found was caused by the screws that hold the doorlock in position coming loose. Also worth adding some bits of self-adhesive foam padding onto high points which the door card touches or almost touches.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/drivers-door-rattle-buzz.304237/

Thanks, is it possible to do all this while everything is still connected like the door handle wire and electrical connectors or do these all have to be removed first?

Thanks, is it possible to do all this while everything is still connected like the door handle wire and electrical connectors or do these all have to be removed first?
Need to disconnect everything and lay the door card flat really.

Let us know how you get on as mine has started creaking too, must be the cold weather. ****** creaking is doing my nut in.

Let us know how you get on as mine has started creaking too, must be the cold weather. ****** creaking is doing my nut in.
Same, mines like a creaky plastic box atm really doing my head in!

Me too I can't drive my car without getting annoyed :blink: thought these cars were supposed to be built well...
I know, going to have to strip off a few panels and add some felt/foam.

Just need to find some suitable stuff first...