Doogies Phantom Black S3.......progress thread.

No mate, map being done by Ecotune... They've always done most of my work!

Apologies to Doogie for going on...but...

Do update your thread when this gets done...I'm very keen to see how it all goes.

Reactions: LiamS3
Apologies to Doogie for going on...but...

Do update your thread when this gets done...I'm very keen to see how it all goes.

Haha, indeed... Didn't mean to hijack the thread, I'll update it once it's all done Alex :)

Reactions: S3Alex
Small update for now.

Car is currently off the road and has been since Xmas until mid February, mainly so I can do a few service parts and a few upgrades :tonguewink:. As well as the fact its ideal to keep it off the road now we've been hit with the snow and all the grit and salt that accompanies it.

Hopefully get round to fitting:

20160121_210106 by Ya Beast......, on Flickr

TTRS LPFP
155 FPR
Rev G DV
Replacement Cam follower
NGK 7 Spark plugs as the 8's were throwing up misfires
R8 Red Coilpacks
Cam position sensor as its gubbed and throwing up 'circuit open' faults
Rocker cover gasket as its seeping into the spark plug chambers. :worried:
Whiteline Drop links as the old ones have developed a bit of play and a nice faint knock to go along with them.

So a few wee issues to rectify but nothing major.

Wheels are also going to get powdercoated in Silver for a change to the Gunmetal as although I love the gunmetal I fancy a change.

As i'd stated previously... I was meant to be running the APR TTE-420 beta file. Been in touch with Wayne but still nothing to report in regards to it. Hopefully this materialises too as it would go along well with the car I feel. But patience is a virtue.

Will update with pics as I go about getting busy in the garage.

Reactions: Mario8P
Nice Xmas list there.

Aside from looks the R8 coilpacks won't add anything.

The RS pump may require some work to get it running correctly on the stock controller but that shouldn't be above a good tuner.

The cam cover can be problematic in many ways and the IE cover is made of aluminium and won't warp.

Nice Xmas list there.

Aside from looks the R8 coilpacks won't add anything.

The RS pump may require some work to get it running correctly on the stock controller but that shouldn't be above a good tuner.

The cam cover can be problematic in many ways and the IE cover is made of aluminium and won't warp.

Yeah Coilpacks were needing replaced anyway as I was getting an intermittent misfire on cylinder 4 on a cold start under load and on a warm idle. So narrowing down issues with the coils and plugs... hopefully they remedy, if not then its injector time.

Yeah, re- the lpfp.. done a bit of reading up on it and i'm of the understanding a few bits from the stock S3 lpfp need transferred over.

A good friend who worked as a Tech at Audi will be fitting it.

Would their be any issues fitting it unmapped, as in still running the APR stage 2+ file?

was gonnna give the rocker a go myself as from what i've been told its fairly straight forward no?

There shouldn't be issues running it unmapped as its using a PWM controller to control its delivery triggered by LP rail pressure.

Changing a stock cam cover and gasket will be time consuming but not difficult but I got rid of the whole thing for other reasons.

Injectors rarely cause problems.

There shouldn't be issues running it unmapped as its using a PWM controller to control its delivery triggered by LP rail pressure.

Changing a stock cam cover and gasket will be time consuming but not difficult but I got rid of the whole thing for other reasons.

Injectors rarely cause problems.

Yeah, aware of the cam cover gasket being time consuming but seeing as the cars off the road there is no rush to get through it.

As for the injector... i've heard similar.. Currently running the NGK bkr8eix and have been advised that these can cause misfires on tfsi's. So more or less certain this is the cause. One of the old coils too was swapped for a used one recently too due to it breaking down which is why i've plumped for the Red ones... plus the stock ones are near the same price.

thanks for the advice Alex. I'll do a bit more research on the lpfp and how to it it.

Storm and AFAIK Unicorn and a few others have had no problems fitting the pump.
The stock PWM controller can overheat if not set up properly from what I remember.

What would you recommend as the best course of action?

I think replacing the cam cover gasket is the easiest and cheapest first step to be honest.....my solution was neither cheap nor easy.

Yeah Coilpacks were needing replaced anyway as I was getting an intermittent misfire on cylinder 4 on a cold start under load and on a warm idle. So narrowing down issues with the coils and plugs... hopefully they remedy, if not then its injector time.

Yeah, re- the lpfp.. done a bit of reading up on it and i'm of the understanding a few bits from the stock S3 lpfp need transferred over.

A good friend who worked as a Tech at Audi will be fitting it.

Would their be any issues fitting it unmapped, as in still running the APR stage 2+ file?

was gonnna give the rocker a go myself as from what i've been told its fairly straight forward no?

You can see problems with runing the RS pump and stock controller with software for stock lpfp. as Alex sayes the controller can overheat, becous it is only made for 10amp and RS pump can draw 20 amp. new software that calibrates the duty cycle can fix this . or you can install RS controller or a Torqbyte pm3 lpfp amplifier with the stock controller. pm3 will the do the power delivery work managed from the stock controller.

Reactions: S3Alex
You can see problems with runing the RS pump and stock controller with software for stock lpfp. as Alex sayes the controller can overheat, becous it is only made for 10amp and RS pump can draw 20 amp. new software that calibrates the duty cycle can fix this . or you can install RS controller or a Torqbyte pm3 lpfp amplifier with the stock controller. pm3 will the do the power delivery work managed from the stock controller.

Where is best to get either the rs controller or the torqbyte amplifier?

Where is best to get either the rs controller or the torqbyte amplifier?

I will say the Torqbyte PM3 amplifier. Becouse with TTRS/RS3 conroller you lose some standard features like pump priming when you open drivers door and also the pump will not stop instantly after you remove key from ignition. that is frustrating. hehe..

I think last time I asked Rick@unicorn re lpfp he suggested replacing the lpfp controller first. Unless I was hallucinating

That's one mean *** looking S3 you've got yourself there mate and some highly impressive figures to match!

I've also got a black 07 S3 and after seeing your pictures I'll definitely be debadging the rear Audi rings of mine and Lamin-x the front & rear lights. I don't have the luxury of a pre-cut RS6 grill unfortunately so I'm just going to Plasti Dip the slats on mine black but leave the rings and surround chrome.

The intake manifold RFD was something I'd heard of before but not looked into until I read your thread, now that's yet another mod I've added to the list for when I go Stage 2+!! I notice on APR's website they're for sale at £193 but no option to buy them? http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/rfd_20t_ea113.html Considering they're just plates, would a cheaper alternative suffice? http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Air-Intake/2.0T-Intake-Manifold-Runner-Flap-Delete-Kit.html

That's one mean *** looking S3 you've got there mate and some highly impressive figures to match!

I've also got a black 07 S3 and after seeing your pictures I'll definitely be debadging the rear Audi rings of mine and Lamin-x the front & rear lights. I don't have the luxury of a pre-cut RS6 grill unfortunately so I'm just going to Plasti Dip the slats on mine black but leave the rings and surround chrome.

The intake manifold RFD was something I'd heard of before but not looked into until I read your thread, now that's yet another mod I've added to the list for when I go Stage 2+!! I notice on APR's website they're for sale at £193 but no option to buy them? http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/rfd_20t_ea113.html Considering they're just plates, would a cheaper alternative suffice? http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Air-Intake/2.0T-Intake-Manifold-Runner-Flap-Delete-Kit.html
£80 for RFD from Creation Motorsports on eBay. I used these on mine.

Reactions: HHS3
£80 for RFD from Creation Motorsports on eBay. I used these on mine.

Cool, cheers for that mate.

I take it you got the tuner to take this into account when remapping it to get rid of the cold start up issue (from what I've read)? Did you notice any difference having the RFD?

Cool, cheers for that mate.

I take it you got the tuner to take this into account when remapping it to get rid of the cold start up issue (from what I've read)? Did you notice any difference having the RFD?
The APR420 map requires you have the RFD installed. You will need it mapping in or a map that supports it to make the most out this mod. I had Revo 2+ when I installed the RFD. Revo said they don't support it but it ran OK before I upgraded to APR420.

The APR420 map requires you have the RFD installed. You will need it mapping in or a map that supports it to make the most out this mod. I had Revo 2+ when I installed the RFD. Revo said they don't support it but it ran OK before I upgraded to APR420.

Nice one thanks for the information.

I'm currently Revo Stage 1 but when Stage 2+ is finally on the cards I'll be going to Storm Developments for a custom map. I know the RFD is a must for Stage 3 but I won't (never say never!) be going for that so I'm just debating whether or not if it is actually worthwhile.

Im still gutted that Wayne has told me that APR have kinda now pulled the plug on Launch control and Flat Shift for the APR add ons in the UK...
That now means that if i want to get Flat shift, i need to get a custom map and that isnt going to happen now as im happy with the APR stage 2 map! grrr

****** hell that was some read doogie. Brilliant car mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im still gutted that Wayne has told me that APR have kinda now pulled the plug on Launch control and Flat Shift for the APR add ons in the UK...
That now means that if i want to get Flat shift, i need to get a custom map and that isnt going to happen now as im happy with the APR stage 2 map! grrr

I have to say I'm not surprised

Both place quite a load on some areas and I expect reliability was at the bottom of that.