Donuts ?

sounds like the sort of thing that youd be doing at high speed! id rather not do that in a car park

****** snow isnt settling anymore :( boooooooo

on snow you can do it at really low speed lol , just pray for more snow but not too much lol

i cant WAIT for the snow tonight... i was planning to bring the audi to work tomorrow too.

if i get here early, the work car park is huge

No snow here. BOOOOOOO

It is a shame that the ABS cannot be turned off for proper snow driving as its a pain trying to stop an ABS equiped car

Why did Audi stop putting a switch to turn off the ABS on quattro's? As I remember they made quite a big thing about it when first fitted to the UR quattro.
If I took the ABS fuse out for some snow driving would I be risking doing damage to any of the cars other mechanical/electrics systems

Why did Audi stop putting a switch to turn off the ABS on quattro's? As I remember they made quite a big thing about it when first fitted to the UR quattro.
If I took the ABS fuse out for some snow driving would I be risking doing damage to any of the cars other mechanical/electrics systems

was just thinking the same thing.
****** thing is so sensitive I locked up at 2mph and when I took my foot off the brake completely it was still ******* around trying to control braking!

best thing is just not to brake in snow!

yes, anyone know where is the abs fuse on a A4 facelift quattro, save me going through the manual

no but this EDL ****** definitely doesn't work on mine.
Been out just now trying my hardest to get it to kick in, sliding all over, four wheels, two wheels, one wheel. certainly no feeling of assisted braking on any particular corner.

just have an overactive ABS when braking. PITA!

i agree with jcb,there is no elecronic aids in mine,which is a 99 tqs, i had mine sliding all over the place in the car park at work,and also a little on the road, not to much just slow into the roundabout and getting the back out a bit, if there was any electronic driving aids it would of sensed the fact the wheels had broke free and would of applyed braking to axle which had slipped, also there would be a warning light displayed on the dash that the car had lost traction and that the electronics has interviened,which i never got either

wooo hooo... 120mph on the spot!! lol Snow is so cool i feel like a kid... wish i had the A3 instead of the pissrat lard ****... tho all that lardyness and momentum do good for a RWD like drift! love it!

LMAO! sure that is not good for your tyres ......

dont care mate gettin new car at end of the week! lol is was on ice too so not as much burnage! lol

once saw a mini on a hoist spinning its wheels at 100mph. the tyre stratched outwards to the size of a 18" wheel without the weight of the car on it! very funny

once saw a mini on a hoist spinning its wheels at 100mph. the tyre stratched outwards to the size of a 18" wheel without the weight of the car on it! very funny

can picture it lol

it may be on wikipedia but it ain;t working on my car....... I promise

Just been out to drop me daughter to school and i went to local retail park for some fun. Tried to do donuts(spelling?) but could not get the car to spin the wheels too much with the 18" on. Its great fun but the ABS is over-reacting(i have big brembos) so might as well dont use the brakes ! I cannot get the car to spin on the spot like some of the vids on you-tube and it does not slid too much from the back either ? I do have different make tyres (Falkens front and Fullruns rear) and the back grips much better in cold but they are ***** in the wet ! Will get 4 new tyres today and report back. More snow for me please !

Just been out to drop me daughter to school and i went to local retail park for some fun. Tried to do donuts(spelling?) but could not get the car to spin the wheels too much with the 18" on. Its great fun but the ABS is over-reacting(i have big brembos) so might as well dont use the brakes ! I cannot get the car to spin on the spot like some of the vids on you-tube and it does not slid too much from the back either ? I do have different make tyres (Falkens front and Fullruns rear) and the back grips much better in cold but they are ***** in the wet ! Will get 4 new tyres today and report back. More snow for me please !

Mines totally the oppisite, back end breaks free even worse now, we had snow overnight and is starting to snow again!!!! roads are very very icy now, and the main roads are all slusshed up, on the main roads the car is well behaved and i can only get it to go if i really provoke it, but on the ice its fun to say the least, and yes i can do donuts, and my gf can vouch for that as she wanted to walk home as i was being stupid.

you do not get warning lights with EDL. As long as the ABS is working then it's working.

Try sticking one half of the car on something sticky and the other side on something slippery. In theory if it wasnt working you would sit there all day due the diffs being open

I do!
seriously concerned now that something else if broken,
is it controlled by the same ABS controller?

well watching that it doesn't really inspire me as the wheel spins for most of the vid!!
maybe mine is working and it is just a crap system!

well watching that it doesn't really inspire me as the wheel spins for most of the vid!!
maybe mine is working and it is just a crap system!

If EDL was that good they wouldn't have bothered developing ESP!

I wouldn't be calling it a differential lock to be honest.

Its more of a simulated diff lock in my opinion.

Quattro is purely mechanical. This EDL is a subsystem of Quattro.

Haldex in my book is the only VAG diff with any electronics contained within it.

I have never experienced this EDL before on my car. In fact reading this thread is the first I've heard of it.

I've a puny K04 1.8T Avant and I can get the thing sideways in the rain without fail.... Never had anything engage to restrict the car. (ESP off obviously)

Last edited:
Its just an additional aide.

As mark says, with quattro, the only diff that can "lock" is the centre, so if you park one side of the car on ice/grass/mud, and the other side on tarmac, and try to drive off, the diffs in the front and rear axle will send the power to the wheel thats easiest to turn. That means you dont move, as all the power goes to the side thats parked on the grass. The same thing occurs in landrovers with the centre diff locked, which is why proper mud pluggers also fit locking front and rear diffs that can be controlled from the cab.

The EDL just aims to help out, by applying the brake on the slipping wheel, The amount of torque applied to the slipping wheels brake disk should be passed thru the diff and delivered to the other wheel. You cant completely stop the wheel spinning, because a) the engine is more powerful than the brakes, and b) locking the wheel completely would impede forward motion.

Interestingly, most newer defenders implement a very similar EDL system, presumably because its more effective than nothing, and much cheaper than actually installing locking diffs at both ends.

The thing about getting a quattro sideways kinda makes sense too, in general when you accellerate weight is transfered onto the rear and off the front. If its slippy that means the front will spin up before the rear, the Torsen in the centre diff then sends more power to the rear end to try and regain traction on the front, and the increased power delivery to the rear causes the **** to step out.