Don't laugh!

a3slinedaz

Reaction score
hello! i have a question that some of you may laugh but here goes.. ive had my a3 s-line just over a month now and love it. its got the dsg gearbox with it. now, ive never had an auto before so when you drive along and then sit in traffic or at the lights for a period of time do i put the gear selector into neutral or do i just keep it drive all the time?

lol cheers lima
i also forgot to ask this... when the climate control is on and ive turned the blowers down to the one bar but when i accelorate the blowers come on more automaticaly. is there a way to stop this as im contantly turning it down

Haha sorry I could'nt help myself! :)

LONG periods, it is VERY slightly better to put it in Neutral... just don't forget about it and try to drive off in 'N' when the lights change... otherwise the revs will rocket, and you'll go nowhere! (also, it won't engage 'D' until the revs reduce, since it automatically avoids 'clutch-dump' starts).

However, the reasons for doing so are minimal. -Basically it keeps the 1/3/5 clutch pack cooler not to be slipping very lightly when stationary.

Also, when the engine is cold and you're asking for heat, it tries to be 'clever' even when it's NOT in auto... so it keeps the fan speed down until there's actually some warm air to USE... then it speeds up the fan.

Once the engine is up to temperature, (and assuming you're not changing the temperature setting up and down more often than a whore's drawers) the fan speed should be steady.

It can't be in auto... as soon as you adjust the fan speed, it comes OUT of auto.

Keith

Last edited:
thanks kaz,tku and vwaddict.
i dont use the heater on auto,just manual. its just abit annoying haveing to keep turning the fan speed down thats all.
glad i no im not burning out my clutch or anything though lol!

get one! i love it. so nice to drive mate. i would post some pics of it but not sure if im allowed on this page.