Dont buy and RS6 without a warranty !!

bbigman2000

Mugello Blue RS6 Saloon 03
Reaction score
Website
www.moraysecurity.com
Hey Guys,

Basically, Ive only had my RS6 for a few weeks, ive done 800 miles, and in that time, I had it in for a £1500 timing belt and service.

The car was going awesome faultless in every way.

Now on my sunday afternoon run, the car went into limp mode but no lights illuminated on the dash.

So I took it home and parked it up.

Monday morning I went down with it to Audi in Elgin who are fantastic.

Plugged it in, and up came a faut code, something to do with sporadic charge pressure.

After a few hours the head tech diagnosed it as a holed diaphragm in or near one of the turbos.

SO !! this apparently cannot be replaced or bought seperatley !!

You have to replace the whole turbo which its attached to !!

Both turbos are perfect working order !!

Anyway, Audi's policy is when you replace one Turbo you must replace both as they are linked and balanced.

So, I am now getting 2 brand new turbo's fitted which is 24 hours labour plus all the parts, gaskets, turbo's etc and a complete engine out JOB under my extended warranty !

All for the sake of this rubber diaphragm which has failed premmaturley.

The tech thinks that the car being from central london, has sat in traffic most of the last 3 years, and the HEAT from the exhaust manifold has triggered the early failure of this Diaphragm.

Crazy, but do get your extended warranty gents please.

Otherwise this would have been a £4000 Job.

wow. on the plus side you will have new turbos with warrantee and you can sell your old turbo's to some mad tuner, think there are some s4 boys looking for rs6 turbo's to bolt on check rs246.com with an ad for them.

Thanks bud, yes it is a bonus !!

However im almost certain being a warranty job Audi will retain the turbo's and send them back to there development boys for inspection, and then ebay haha

Sorry mate the only diaphram is in the DV valve as far as I know, charge pressure could be something else..But who cares if your getting new turbos out of it..!!

I may be wrong..seen similar fault before and it wasn't the turbo..MAF can give a fault like this..BUt I maybe wrong

Yeh bud Thats what I thought myself, but I was there with him as he ran through testing everything, the waste gates, dump valves etc etc.

And as you suggested I had him check out the Maf's and the sealing rings refit them and road test again.

The diaphragm is in the actuator mate, basically isnt allowing pressure to build on one of the turbos, I believe.

He must be certain if he is going to the extent of taking the engine out and fitting two new blowers, im delighted to be having them of course.

But hell im gonna have to run them in :p

Bbigman2000 - That has scared the living daylights out of me! :ohmy:

I bought my car from a respectable chap (Private Dealer) from whom I acquired a 3 month warranty, which I'm thinking ain't going to be enough now for extended peace of mind. Do you think I can I take out a separate policy for the next year or so or would this have had to be done at the time of buying the car? :ermm:

I'd rather get a separate policy if I can.

TO BE HONEST prince, this is unusual, I would never have expected something like this to happen on a audi with only 30k miles on it with full history !!

I think the problem is my car has had to easy a life, its never seen any of what it was built for !!

The first owner was a lady who did 20,000 miles in it round london.

They do need to be used occassionally to keep all those parts free and those little motors and solenoids doing there thing.

The only thing that could happen thats worse than a pair of turbo's is the actual engine !!

I think aslong as you have a full audi history you can get in touch with audi's extended warranty people and buy them a year at a time for about £1500.

Its a toss up mate it really is, you just never know, my car ran as sweet as you could possibly ask before this happened !!

This year alone its had if I include this job £9000 worth of warranty work or more !!

On top of that its had 4 grands worth of servicing and brakes !!

So thats 15k on my car this year (2006) :)

Hello mate, been a long day and wasn't really thinking about the fault adn engine properly

There are diaphrams in the waste gate actuators but I still unsure that it is this...never seen it myself not for years!! BUT who cares warranty are are paying or the dealer if they got it wrong!!! :)

MIne has also done 30k but belonged to some guy in the sticks ( I live in London) It gets hard time every morning.

She was really good on the rolling road and produced more then normal adn gave .8 Bar boost which is spot on!

Extended warranty,. i will always say get one as you never know.

If your going to get one and it is out of warranty(Audi) then they will have to do a multipoint and put right everythingon the car that will be covered by the warranty...Like Bupa can't cover a problem if there before!!

Speak to Audi customer services and voice your opion on how unhappy you are with your new baby after 800 miles it going wrong.!

Thanks bud, il give you more info as I get it, I have my doubts about the diagnosis, but the mechanic really does seem to know his job inside out, so I am going with it, as you say its under the warranty so if I get two turbo's for free and then they find its some silly little solenoid for £50 then they can fix that also.

I think the guy will be right though.

G

well lads, she is home, all fixed and running awesome, ive to go easy for a few hundred miles just to ease the new turbo';s in.

The fault was indeed a holed diaphragm in one of the actuators !!

So audi warranty services, spent £5000 and gifted my baby with two spanking new turbo's, every nut bolt and gasket in the vicinity was replaced at the same time.

She is going superb now.

What a relief to get it back, my mondeo was driving me insane lol.

The master tech that did the job, said it wasnt to bad, fairly easy infact, very hi tech engine and lots of related wiring etc, but he states it all went together easily.

Im delighted...

Now, 4 new pirellis on order and ive got my new aluminium valves here.

excellent mate, bet your pleased to get her back now!
I have not driven mine since Weds last week, really missing her now!

The mrs. has been using it all week as her Mum is down and taking the kids and her out, I've been driving my mini and her Bora so I'm now looking forward to the weekend as going to Brackley which will be a good 90 miles of hard time for her!

Awesome, I was out again this morning in the beast, just a 10 mile round trip, only managed to pull off one over take lol, you just dont want to get out of the RS6, such a great car to be in.

bbigman2000 said:
I think aslong as you have a full audi history you can get in touch with audi's extended warranty people and buy them a year at a time for about £1500.

I wish. ...

They now (since a year or two ago) base the extended warranty on the engine size... and the RS6 is nowhere near the cheapest. IIRC a rs6 is about £2500 a year... just a lowly s3 is about a grand..

Those prices were through Audi, using their mondial warranty. Its good to see their prices have come down then....

is it still a rebraded mondial warranty or an audi one again now?

I will check prices in the morning as £2k + sounds far too much, no one will pay that..porsche only charge £725 flat rate across the whole range,
Audi have always charged on engine sizes that is where TT and S3 customers are lucky as the banding was from 1400 to 1800 and so on, so the RS6 boys are at the highest..oopppss

I treid to extended mine by 2 years when I bnought but couldn't

Snap
MIne was bought through my local dealer too, which is the best way, as you also get your roadside assistance