Done the ole bonnet mod (good results)

AARON77

Reaction score
Seen lots of cars lately with the bonnet tilted up at the back but never seen it on an s3, so I had the assumption that it was just a mod that ppl were doing to make there car stand out a little!
That was till I met pat at inters this year and he had recently done this and said how much of an impact on his car as we all know our cars suffer from serious heat soak.
So I took the plunge and spent three hours in the rain tilting my bonnet! It was easy enough just a ball ache to get it looking as good as could
The results ace, now when driving the engine seems to breath sooooo much better and slightly more responsive ! and the diverter woosh is 5 times louder ?
So all in all I'm kinda happy with it :)
e43c5a20.jpg

71233a11.jpg

71233a11.jpg

Lovin the colour, the wheels, the calipers, but I'd never be able to drive my s3 around
Looking like that. The help the cold air I'd rather loose a log lamp and have direct feed to the airbox. There, said it, sorry.

Sorry, but I don't get how that looks good.

But then again I also don't get how black alloys look good.

So based on that assumption your going to get millions of praises on the super-fab tilted bonnet look.

Dont start this row again Aarron! Prawn will be over here any minute now telling you about negative pressure at the back of the engine bay and how air cant flow through it while moving but the heat will escape when you're moving slowly or at a standstill ;)

I just removed the rubber strip at the back of my bonnet. What did you use to raise the back of the bonnet?

More like loads of posts saying how bad it looks and that it doesnt actually aid anything infact messing up the air flowing around the bay and will only help on idle/stationary lol.

Lovin the colour, the wheels, the calipers, but I'd never be able to drive my s3 around
Looking like that. The help the cold air I'd rather loose a log lamp and have direct feed to the airbox. There, said it, sorry.
Don't be sorry I don't mind a bit of criticism
It's a lil extreme I know but Its good when on the strip and my car is off the road now so it's no longer something to enjoy whilst out on the public road !!!! It's track days and strip action from now on
Gonna be doing some really extreme engine mods over the next few months,big turbo and a direct port nitrous build as a pose to the progressive nos kit that I'm using now

When at a stand still you can see sooooo many heat waves pouring out ????

Yeah mine is the same. Loads of heat coming out at standstill and the window steams up in the rain from it. Not too sure how much heat is coming out when going along though. Any heat reduction no matter how small is still good :thumbsup:

So based on that assumption your going to get millions of praises on the super-fab tilted bonnet look.
Don't really care bout the look just wanted to see if it would make a difference and imo it has
it's a 10 year old s3 ***
I've owned much better looking cars

With the planned mods, would you do the direct feed aswell, or just depend on the tilt on the bonnet?

Got to be honest I think it looks gash, but each to their own, if you like it thats all that really matters.

lol, dont sugar coat it at all.

With the planned mods, would you do the direct feed aswell, or just depend on the tilt on the bonnet?

Aarron, if you get a top mounted BT then it might help.

It wont be venting any air at the back whilst driving at reasonable speed as its a high pressure area sucking in air hence why (think Prawn used this before but) For instance Mugen and Gruppe M make induction kits for the Civic`s that draw air in from the back of the bay because of this vacuum coming into the bay.

It wont be venting any air at the back whilst driving at reasonable speed as its a high pressure area sucking in air hence why (think Prawn used this before but) For instance Mugen and Gruppe M make induction kits for the Civic`s that draw air in from the back of the bay because of this vacuum coming into the bay.
I'm no expert but it defo made a difference
When I use my car on the runway it's gotta be good??? when I'm at stand still I can physically see hot air escaping so from the bonnet so from a standing start I'm gonna be convinced that it's gotta be effective ???

Yeah at a standstill it will be venting out for sure so will be doing good. Soon as you start moving and get up to speed it becomes fairly useless. Good for sitting in the queue at santa pod lol.

Any more pics from a distance mate,
what raisers did you use out of interest?? I have seen the pikey version of this on an A3 before, long bolts with nuts to space it out, the nut was too long and pushed a dimple on the top of the bonnet, the nuts and bolts quickly came off lol,

A friend has done this too his MK4 golf, when he gets up to 60mph+ it make the wind flow diff over the mirrors and make a wering noise lol

Each to their own, I’m undecided at the moment on them so ill sit on the fence lol but if its mainly for track/strip use then go for it, if you go BIG turbo, quick release your bonnet so we can see the turbo as you fly pass lol

Any more pics from a distance mate,
what raisers did you use out of interest?? I have seen the pikey version of this on an A3 before, long bolts with nuts to space it out, the nut was too long and pushed a dimple on the top of the bonnet, the nuts and bolts quickly came off lol,

A friend has done this too his MK4 golf, when he gets up to 60mph+ it make the wind flow diff over the mirrors and make a wering noise
Each to their own, I’m undecided at the moment on them so ill sit on the fence lol but if its mainly for track/strip use then go for it, if you go BIG turbo, quick release your bonnet so we can see the turbo as you fly pass lol

That's how I done mine :), but without the damage lol. I used spring washers too and no noises at any speed

looks like you have chucked you shopping in the front rather than the boot :)

Looks good mate I've done it to my R32

dfa7c2ea.jpg

Reactions: Jgould

thegoal went in... ;)

Aaron if you like it happy days, but it does look like you been in a shunt dude haha
Never thought of taking a hole cutter to the top corner and getting some rs4 style mesh.
I reckon that would look loads better.

Lots of the 106 GTI and Saxo VTS drivers do this when they have throttle bodies to aid air flow to the bodies as they point at the driver.
No one has proved if this made any difference, never did it on mine as it just looks like your bonnet is not closed properly.

Eh? No, it just looks like he either hasn't shut the bonnet properly or he's rear-ended something.

Maybe I'm getting old but I don't get it.

Haha agreed, Yup I'd say old as feck lol

I'd like to know the benefits of having the bonnet raised compared to just removing the rubber strip at the back of the bay.

Anyway, the weather is getting cold now so cooling shouldn't be a problem for a little while ;)

It does look like the bonnet has been left open but if it serves a purpose and your happy with it then why not mate :)

I'd like to know the benefits of having the bonnet raised compared to just removing the rubber strip at the back of the bay.

There are no benefits. I'm afraid to say, regardless of what might appear logical, countless tests in wind tunnels have proved that it's utterly pointless, and once moving, yields NO gains, at all.

that is all ;)

Not a fan of the look myself, it works on some cars, it doesn't on others, so long as you like it though dude, then that's cool. Style is a very individual thing, so who are we to put it down.

Whilst I argue that it doesn't help, my Mini still looks like this:

ec164514.jpg

But that's because it won't fit if it's fully down!