Dog bone adventures.

yoursixx

Reaction score
In march I changed my steering rack due to a leaky pipe. At the same time I changed the dog-bone.
The parts came from Auto-Doc. My current situation makes being economical the only way to go.
The dog-bone is JP Groups.
When I bought the car in the fall of 19 the guys said "yeah you might want to do the mounts".
Fast-forward to July, sold a stalled project car and had resources to do the other 2 mounts and a few other things like the valve cover gasket. And again Auto doc and a Swedish company that carries a lot of the same parts. This all goes well.
I have had a bit of "rumbling" from under the car like a prop-shaft making contact with something under acceleration . Very noticeable when teach youngest daughter to drive a manual trans...
I knew the heat shields were a little sketchy , and suspected maybe the prop shaft donuts were on there way.Read a bit,Googled a bit.
So back on the floor . They looked "OK" but with the front up when I rolled the tires I saw a good amount of play on the body side of the dog-bone. ****.
Remove it and inspect, pretty clean after 8 months. Take it apart a slight oil residue in the mount,nothing major.But it just doesn't seem to compress the body side rubber enough .
It is not a precision finish on the mount where the bolt and flange meet. So I file the mount to a cleaner mating surface. 1 mm maybe I remove. A touch better but still sloppy. So lets take it a bit further..
Took off about 5 mm ,used a thick washer and bolted it up.

The "rumble" is gone .
In hindsight I think I should have done the motor side mount when I did the dog-bone because it was shot, and causing the dog-bone to work harder.

Thanks for being here , just wanted to share my story.

Reactions: MPH and Asim1
S
In march I changed my steering rack due to a leaky pipe. At the same time I changed the dog-bone.
The parts came from Auto-Doc. My current situation makes being economical the only way to go.
The dog-bone is JP Groups.
When I bought the car in the fall of 19 the guys said "yeah you might want to do the mounts".
Fast-forward to July, sold a stalled project car and had resources to do the other 2 mounts and a few other things like the valve cover gasket. And again Auto doc and a Swedish company that carries a lot of the same parts. This all goes well.
I have had a bit of "rumbling" from under the car like a prop-shaft making contact with something under acceleration . Very noticeable when teach youngest daughter to drive a manual trans...
I knew the heat shields were a little sketchy , and suspected maybe the prop shaft donuts were on there way.Read a bit,Googled a bit.
So back on the floor . They looked "OK" but with the front up when I rolled the tires I saw a good amount of play on the body side of the dog-bone. ****.
Remove it and inspect, pretty clean after 8 months. Take it apart a slight oil residue in the mount,nothing major.But it just doesn't seem to compress the body side rubber enough .
It is not a precision finish on the mount where the bolt and flange meet. So I file the mount to a cleaner mating surface. 1 mm maybe I remove. A touch better but still sloppy. So lets take it a bit further..
Took off about 5 mm ,used a thick washer and bolted it up.

The "rumble" is gone .
In hindsight I think I should have done the motor side mount when I did the dog-bone because it was shot, and causing the dog-bone to work harder.

Thanks for being here , just wanted to share my story.
Sorry was supposed to say meyle.

Reactions: yoursixx