Does tyre shine cause tyre dry rot / cracks and how to avoid it?

Nozrul Islam

Reaction score
As per the title peeps, I read somewhere online that tyre shine adds in addition to UV rays to cause the above?
Any ideas?
I've noticed this over the past 10-15 years but never really knew what it was other than the visible fine cracks, again never took any notice as I just changed the tyres each time.
Products used are Autoglym Tyre Dressing or Meguiars Tyre Shine.

Correct tyre dressing should add additional protection

That's the one I use! Sometimes the Autoglym one too.
I don't think I'll be using anything once the new tyres are fitted.

Product adds UV protection. It says it in the product description.

If you're getting tyre cracks/issues best look at the date of manufacture of your tyres and think about changing them imo

Reactions: DieselJake
Tyre dressing can cause cracks in the tyre. I heard this a very long time ago and thought it was nonsense but in the past two years I have actually read it on a manufacturer’s label i.e don’t apply without eye protection, don’t inhale etc. It was listed as a possible

Personally I think for a tyre to start to crack due to tyre dressing you would need to be dressing them with a lot of product on a very regular basis over a long period of time

Could it be the silicone? You can get tyre dressing without silicone but it’s nowhere near as good, after a day it looks like somebody has dressed the tyre very badly

If you're getting tyre cracks/issues best look at the date of manufacture of your tyres and think about changing them imo

Totally agree with this, in all years of using tyre shine they've never looked anywhere near as bad as what's been seen in old untreated tyres.

some tyres are just rubbish, i had hankook tyres crack after only 2 years 235 40 18, wont buy them again...

certain brands are worse than others, goodyears seem very good