Does the 2.0 Tdi Brd 170 have a Diverter Valve?

carlcall

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As the title really....

I've not had a chance to get under the car to look at anything yet....but since having it mapped I have developed a lovely air leak.

I've used VCDS to check requested and actual boost (Both Std & Modified Maps) and they are both well within the limits of being a few mbar out if not the same when it is boosting. And no codes are popping up at all.

But one second I have loads of boost and then I have non.....the turbo is spooling up nicely but no boost I can hear it escaping at the same time and when I let my foot off the throttle you can hear all the boost dump back out of the air filter. Kind of reminds me of the old FRS with a GenII filter on it but without the big Tish noise.

I've also noticed that after I have had no boost and I let it idle it's a liitle higher at 1000rpm and the exhaust note is very different....then after a minute or so just goes back to idling normally.

I'm going to get under the car tomorrow weather permitting and try and track down the fault....

Big thanks to Steve @SDHA4SLine as without his input via PMs my car wouldn't be sorted out.

Turns out they forgot to add the EGR Delete file to the map....

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
when I let my foot off the throttle you can hear all the boost dump back out of the air filter.

A bit out there, and not on topic, but this bit caught my eye – I get this on my 170 TDI (all stock, no map) – pretty sure it didn't used to do it...is this normal (as people tend to tell me)...or is there a reason? Many thanks! :)

@A3Lee and @desertstorm please help Carl he's a top bloke and I know you two are savvy blokes. As usual it turns out my advice was duff so would be great if I could at least put Carl in touch with some knowledgable members

On a stock map my car did this, same engine. With a stage 1 map and pipercross panel filter it got louder. Nothing to worry about however.

A bit out there, and not on topic, but this bit caught my eye – I get this on my 170 TDI (all stock, no map) – pretty sure it didn't used to do it...is this normal (as people tend to tell me)...or is there a reason? Many thanks! :)

I wish I could help Phil, but mine has only really started to do it more with more boost and the fault I have. Yes I could hear it a little more over the stock filter which silent on the standard map, added a K&N and I could hear it just....but if I timed it correctly I could get it to be a little louder and when the map was added you could really hear it. But then it became a fault.

But back on topic.....I found that the Flap Vac on the manifold has a nice little slit in it about 4mm across and under vacuum I could see it opening up quite a bit as I can fit the tip of my little through it.

New parts should be here Monday so we will have to wait and see.

2016 05 21 162722 2016 05 21 162735

Looks like my problem has now been sorted!

First off totally shat myself when I first came to start it as the glow plug warming up made a pop come out though the inlet manifold when I had to turn the steering wheel to push the car forward so I could get to the undertrays to get my torx bit I lost.

Then I remembered that I'd sprayed a little brake cleaner next to the inlet ports before I put the manifold on to remove a little bit of grime....what a relief!

All back together and then I really did SHAT myself as it would turn over and then stop....thought maybe I'd dropped something down one of the ports by accident.....a few more tries and it fired up so it must have been the fume from the brake cleaner trying to ignite on the wrong part of the 4 stroke cycle. Once going it just started fine over and over again.

Now the test drive....

Went out without the map on it first got it nice and warm and planted my right foot from the starting lights on my local test track and it lost traction in first gear as usual and then just pulled as normal through the rest with ease, no stutters, no coughing and the slightest sound of air getting sucked in through the filter.

Decided to put the map back on and went out for another list test drive....this time the front wheels lost traction just as the first time i put the upgraded map on but not a violent as standard as the torque comes in a little more gradual compared to all at one.....second gear and as before a little bit of TC and off she went through every gear....nice and smooth but pulling alot better and getting there a lot faster.

Once again the slight stutter I used to get at around 1600-2200 rpms occasionally when my foot was in a certain position seems to have gone all together now. Still sounds like it's sucking the road up but not as bad as it was and the dumping noise is still there but that's also gone quieter.

Talking to the mappers it will suck in a lot more air compared to before so they've said it fine.....I'm going to see how it goes now with driving it normally. Oh and the DPF has cleaned itself as I was past a forced regen with VCDS as I was at 58.9%.....talk about crap coming out the rear end lol.

Reactions: SDHA4SLine