Does no one tune their 1.4 TFSI?

MFM

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting my wife's 1.4 TFSI tuned for some time now as she keeps saying it's slow(which it is) but she refuses to let me buy her another car.

I would have thought with a downpipe, better air intake and a remap you should at least see another 50hp or so and a lot more torque. But I can't find anything or anyone that's done this. Why?

I wish every car was a easy to tune as my 335i.

On YouTube there's ppl with stage 3 builds pushing 250bhp, but as abmat said its not worth doing anything.

For city driving my 1.4 is fine, would like a bit more power but for the cost vs results, just seems like a waste of money.

For city driving my 1.4 is fine, would like a bit more power but for the cost vs results, just seems like a waste of money.

Tell me about it. A generic map/tuning box for 400 odd quid giving you 20hp extra. No thanks. I wonder what makes these specific engines so poor at responding to any kind of tuning. It has a turbo ***. I guess it's so small you probably can't run much more boost anyway.

I spent less than a grand to up my figures from 300hp/300lbft to 450hp/500lbft.

Tell me about it. A generic map/tuning box for 400 odd quid giving you 20hp extra. No thanks. I wonder what makes these specific engines so poor at responding to any kind of tuning. It has a turbo ***. I guess it's so small you probably can't run much more boost anyway.

I spent less than a grand to up my figures from 300hp/300lbft to 450hp/500lbft.

because the turbo is saturated with the default tune

Reactions: Sibmets
I found that the 125hp variant of the 1.4L engine could be boosted to 165hp (speculated) by this company. This is actually a pretty good boost, the 1.8L can be boosted from 160 to ~205, which is roughly an equal increase).

Yes, unfortunately, it's not like the BMW 1 Series (F21) platform, where the 114-118 variants all have the same 2L engine that can generate 220hp. BMW just detunes and sometimes restricts airflow to the engine to make less horsepower (and make it more fuel-efficient). It saves them r&d and parts costs.

If you check out the 1.4L TFSI engine from the A3 8V generation, you'll see that there are over 3 versions, each with different specs and the best one (150hp) has variable timing.

I thought they all had variable timing? I had the timing chain and cam adjuster replaced just after I bought it at considerable cost as it had chain rattle on startup. Been rock solid since, but the thing is gutless.

I'm actually trying to get the wife into a m135i or m140i but she hates BMW's. Lol

I have to say that the 1.8T engine is pretty decent. Probably because the car itself has 250nm of torque, this really makes it feel like the car is pulling hard. 160hp is good, but it could be a bit more for when you're on the highway (an example would be if you want to quickly pass someone without downshifting to 5th or even 4th gear).

I would suggest having a look at Celtic Tuning. Simple stage 1 to 185bhp for about £300. Probably the most you'd get out of it without any hardware changes..

I have the 1.4 TFSI 138 bhp engine with the Celtic tuning map on it

these are the 1.4 caxc engine with 125bhp

Reactions: Dan the 8V Man
I've been looking at getting my wife's 1.4 TFSI tuned for some time now as she keeps saying it's slow(which it is) but she refuses to let me buy her another car.

I would have thought with a downpipe, better air intake and a remap you should at least see another 50hp or so and a lot more torque. But I can't find anything or anyone that's done this. Why?

I wish every car was a easy to tune as my 335i.
Depends which power output you have? You might have a low power model, in which case there is room for improvement.