Does my tyre look worn to you?

psd99

Reaction score
I appreciate that the pictures are not telling the full story but I had a nail like this stuck in my tyre:

967EA71D-A851-480B-9C41-353B22D44EA0-951-0000007ACAB23668.jpg

I would get about 7 days out of it until it became flat so needed it fixed.

I went to the shop to get it repaired but at the time the man said that "my tyre is worn out and it will explode when it gets too hot"

to which my reply was "just fix the puncture"

Paid 7 quid job over - tyre looks ok so far...

considering a new tyre costs between £130 and £170 and > likely I will need to replace them all or in pairs I felt I made the right decision

here is some pics of my tyre that the guy saw:

97F2C1B6-C0AE-49FF-A6F5-9ECFF5FA7EB9-951-00000079BD25DEA6.jpg

BD4655BA-8511-492C-9F7B-FC471C23D1B0-951-00000079B75F8515.jpg

FBDD7F82-4B7B-4767-9CDA-A6EDD7B71EDC-951-00000079B0B763B0.jpg

C4DCED39-11A7-4202-8D74-F04D3ED729EF-951-00000079A9F78C25.jpg

this is tyre on front with size

908C6E54-62C1-492B-8818-F936B2F8E8E1-951-00000079CE467733.jpg

does it look bad to you? Would you replace it?

The puncture wasn't on the wall of the tyre by the way
it was where the tyre meets the road :)

Hard to say for 100% because none of the pics shows the tread depth where the tyre meets the road. But from the pics alone I wouldn't have changed it. I also don't like to change one at a time so I would have forked out for a pair if it was needing to be replaced.

You can use a 20 pence piece to check if they are still legal and most tyres have wear indicators buillt in but just legal tyres won't grip as well as ones with more tread.

your tyre man is right, look at the sidewall, its been driven on for to long with not enough pressure, yes your have plenty of tread but your sidewall is gone, any tyre place will tell you the same

Hard to tell, but looks like you've got about 3mm at least and assume that to be over the central 3/4 of the tread and continuously round the tyre. That's double the legal minimum, although at the level you want to start thinking aboutg changing. If you have winters, then change now and get a puncture repair. Otherwise I would find a good deal on 2 tyres (4 if its a quattro). You could always use that as a spare if repaired. Mich have a £50 fuel voucher deal of a pair of 18s, but I don't believe that's available at Costco who are probably due another 20% off deal soon.

235/40 18s look good value just now at Pneus-Online with PZero Rossos at £113 or Cooper Zeons at £91 from Camskill.

You need to make your own mind up about the tyre because if it blows a 80 with precious ones on board it's been your call!

I had exactly the same thing on my n/s rear. The tyre guy said the tyre was dead, and then showed me the inside where it had started to blister along the top of the side wall where it meets the tread from being driven with low pressure. £140 replacement is a better risk then if it will explode out the side or not at any speed.

My tyre guy is also a very good friend that I have known for years so has no ulterior motive for getting me to replace it.

My advice? Change it rather than risk it, its the only thing between you and possibly the ER.
Two things you never use the word cheap when buying, brakes and tyres.

your tyre man is right, look at the sidewall, its been driven on for to long with not enough pressure, yes your have plenty of tread but your sidewall is gone, any tyre place will tell you the same

+1 I wouldn't be driving on that tyre.

thanks so should I replace all four or just the back two?

the front passenger side loses pressure not enough to go flat though

the back rear one is the one in pic -

235/40 18s look good value just now at Pneus-Online with PZero Rossos at £113 or Cooper Zeons at £91 from Camskill. - are these any good?

or should I go for pirelli or continental bit pricey but worth the money?

ok so might be a strange question but do you think these tyres were originally on the car from the factory? or installed after?

trying to work out how long they been on the car for

thanks so should I replace all four or just the back two?

If your car is a Quattro, you really must replace all four at once. If it's FWD, you'd be ok going for just the rears. My personal preference is to replace them all at once, but that's just one (amongst many) manifestation of my car-related OCD.

I see
and it is quattro

I see camskill is the cheapest so do u all order them from there directly to tyre fitter
and get them to fit it?

how much should the labour be on fitting on tyre?

Labour on fitting a tyre?? Never heard of that, it is usually part of the price of the tyre, and from the looks of yours and 10 yrs tyre experience would tell me it knackered.

A soft side wall will cause a blow out at high speeds or high temperature, not worth the risk bud, get a decent pair, and if you find someone that sells part worn's he should be willing to buy your other one from ya

thanks tbh they are all like that
think the date on the tyre is from 2006 but the car is an 07 plate (think it was made in 2006 though)
if true these tyres been on the car since factory

I'll have to get all four changed over soon

Labour on fitting a tyre?? Never heard of that, it is usually part of the price of the tyre, and from the looks of yours and 10 yrs tyre experience would tell me it knackered.

A soft side wall will cause a blow out at high speeds or high temperature, not worth the risk bud, get a decent pair, and if you find someone that sells part worn's he should be willing to buy your other one from ya
well with 10 years experience in the tyre industry you wouldn't have heard of a labour charge would you! The rest of us motoring mortals usually pay between £15-20 inc. VAT.

Don't forget to look at Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 ...had 4 fitted 1500 miles ago & can't fault them - wet or dry.

well with 10 years experience in the tyre industry you wouldn't have heard of a labour charge would you! - Too true Artimus too true

If your car is a Quattro, you really must replace all four at once. If it's FWD, you'd be ok going for just the rears. My personal preference is to replace them all at once, but that's just one (amongst many) manifestation of my car-related OCD.

What's the theory on that - mine is quattro and i always replace pairs but every other time all 4. Why could you not do them as front rear pairs - i've done god know how many sets of tyres in 130,000 miles and not had an issue...... Oh, and I don't mean it's right or wrong I was just wondering! :sm4:

well with 10 years experience in the tyre industry you wouldn't have heard of a labour charge would you! The rest of us motoring mortals usually pay between £15-20 inc. VAT.

Don't forget to look at Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 ...had 4 fitted 1500 miles ago & can't fault them - wet or dry.

what £10 to £15 per tyre?

I see if I buy the tyres from camskil and then I go to a site like etyre there is a £40 quid difference per tyre.

meaning if I bought the tyres from a site and got them fitted I could save around £160 quid.

much more hassle though and I need to find a place that is willing to take my old tyres in

I'll check the price on the goodyears

Greater West London mate Uxbridge area.

I have used Wembley Tyres before. If you find the cheapest price you can find online and give them a call they will usually match it and fitting is quite cheap. Either that ot tyretraders.co.uk are one of the cheapest i have come across. Select the tyre you want and then they deliver the tyres to the nearest authorised fitter who puts them on for you. One all in price.

From experience Sessanta Ultrac's are good and also Uniroyal Rainsport 2's. Both very good prices for high performance tyres.

Yep i would get them replaced, i prefer Michelins personally, i hate nails in my tyres, ive had them in every car i have blody had !! thats the reason i wont buy a Bmw, You will have to buy a brand new tyres just because of a nail, no thanks :p

What's the theory on that - mine is quattro and i always replace pairs but every other time all 4. Why could you not do them as front rear pairs - i've done god know how many sets of tyres in 130,000 miles and not had an issue...... Oh, and I don't mean it's right or wrong I was just wondering! :sm4:

As I understand it, it's to do with making sure the rolling circumferences of all four wheels are as closely matched as possible, as even a small discrepancy will cause the wheels to rotate at different speeds, which apparently puts a strain on the centre diff.

Those PZero Rossos ARE Pirellis. Reckon on taking them to an independent to fit for upwards of £10 each to include valve, balance and possibly disposal of old tyre which might cost them/you upto a couple of quid more.

That would make them about £125 each all in.

Last edited:

I agree with the above quote. I used to do tyres and you can see where it has a thin tyre wall

I will look around

dunlop, pirelli, good year, continental I thought these were all the best makes and brands

but there is mention of other makes on here

this link has some good ranges "premium" tyres apparently

Cheap Tyres Online : 235 40 18

Don't forget Michelin too. Tyretraders are about £40 more expensive per tyre fitted on the PZeros...expensive for convenience.

Yes michelin too give u that

Not sure wat i will go for yet decision time

still not changed them

the tyres currently on the car are Michelin.

for some reason I kept thinking that they were pirelli!! omg just realised they are not this make.

Looks like these tyres are from factory so 60k+ miles so far. that really isn't that much.

Still looking around - when are tyres on a special deal or generally cheaper?

Looks like these tyres are from factory so 60k+ miles so far. that really isn't that much.

Seriously? I thought getting around 40K from mine was good.

Still looking around? You are aware that the time will come when it blows out due to being unsafe? That time will probably be at night, outside late at high speed, kids and missus in the car and its raining.
Get it changed now, don't spend money on food buy tyres instead.

If you want a really good set of tyres that don't cost the earth, you can't go wrong with the Falken ZE912

+1

You can clearly see the tyre has been run flat. Take the tyre off the rim and it will be filled with shredded rubber.

I feel for you, I just re-booted my 16inch wheels today with 4 Michelins. I just hope I made the right choice over continental or Goodyear.

I'm glad most on here are buying good tyres, a lot of people who come into our garage with big low profile tyres want the cheapest rubber possible!

Another way of looking at it is, we have one guy who come to us with a super car and on them your insurance is invalid if you repair a tyre so he has to replace them when it occasionally happens and these tyres are £550 each, it is all relative but if you are driving a nice Audi about, a pair of tyres shouldn't be a problem.

But food is important I can't go > 3 hours without eating, otherwise my constant supply of protein will become diminished :)

Well, if your tyre blows out and the worse case scenario happens you will be cured of that nasty oxygen addiction so your protein demands will become none important.

Can't go wrong with Rosso's, got them all round on my car.