does my intake make me lose power?

Baudiquattro

Reaction score
i was told by a local shop in seattle wa that if i put cone filter on my car it would lose power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. i did it anyway and used aluminm ducting to run it on the right side of the engine right behind the underskirt, the air seemed to be way cooler down there. it looks bad ***, is it hurting my performance compared to stock? or just a K&N panel filter?

98 audi a4

If it is just a cone filter attached to the intake pipe, then yes, it will be loosing power cos its right by the turbo and will be sucking in hot air which aint good!

However, if it is a cone filter in a selaed unit with all the aintake air coming from outside the engine bay, then it will be gaining you a little power... If it is completely open, i would put the stock airbox back in cos your wasting your time with the cone filter, or get a proper CAI (Cold Air Intake)

RIch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

alright my intake is a K&N cone filter attached to 3inch aluminum ducting runing down to the front bottom right side of the engine, if you look throu the slots in the underskirt you can see the cone, it seems to be a cool spot, but it seemed to be a little torquier when i just had a hacked stock box, but not sure.

[ QUOTE ]
wal said:
I would be pretty confident in saying your not gaining any power for one and I may aswell go one step further and say you are probably loosing power. Sorry to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the K&N high air flow drop filter???

Any gains or loss?

Hey Rich,

Where can I get one of those stainless gauze filters?

[ QUOTE ]
K212 said:
Hey Rich,

Where can I get one of those stainless gauze filters?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

Not sure where to get them from, but HKS, Invo, .etc make them for Jap cars, and they do universal ones which should be ok... It means modifying the airbox, but its not difficult... for the A4 u just need a 135o angle silicone hose (70mm) and the filter.. and some fibre glass to reseal the airbox.

Rich