Does my car need xenon bulbs

Batesy16

Reaction score
One of my bulbs has gone, and am trying to find a replacement bulb, but not sure if I need a standard H7 bulb, so I can get some osram nightbreakers or do I need gas discharge xenon ones.

not able to remove my bulb as im stuck at work, but need to get some ordered as driving around with one light.

any advice would be good if possible.

car is an 04 plate audi a4 avant 1.8T Sline

There will be a lightening symbol sticker on the rear cover if theyre xenons, but they can come off with time.
Failing that if you look at the sticker on top of the light unit it tells you what bulbs are fitted.

brilliant thanks very much. new to owning one of these, so just glad I haven't got to take it all apart to see.

If you can't see any of the stickers you should be able to pop the rear cover off the passenger side light enough to see if you have xenons, or filament bulbs.

You will need to remove the lights to change the bulbs though, as there isn't enough room when they're fitted.

has the bumper got pop up washers ?

Good to hear mate. There are lots of options for you on this;

1. OEM bulb replace - like for like
2. Xenon 'look' bulbs. As in the bulbs are still halogen but with higher watt output or colour change from yellow-ish halogen look to clear white.
3. An actual full Xenon light upgrade.
4. LED light upgrade.

well I fitted some Osram Nightbreakers which are great but light still seems a little yellow next to my white sidelights.

what would be a better option to give nice white light.

Yes, as much as the light out put is bright...you still get that old halogen yellow colour.

Either, get 100w 'xenon look' H7 bulbs from ebay (less time consuming than below)

or HID upgrade. These will require drilling holes in your HL unit most probably to accommodate ballasts. MUCH better result than above)

Hope that helps..

If you put higher wattage bulbs than standard be prepared to buy another CEM.!!

Central Electronics module, controls lights.

Oh! Thanks. Ok, maybe not such a good idea then. I have a pair of H7 100w bulbs on my desk just sitting here. With your help, the HID's will be on very soon.

Update then Batesy16,

HID kit or Just type in ebay - ''H7 xenon look' and stick with the bulb wattage which is OEM.

The bulbs are powered directly from the CEM , no relays inline so if you put 100 watters in you will load the circuit board and fry some semiconducters (got that T shirt:oops:)

Reactions: DrStrange
Thats helpful info thanks. Certainly don't want to be doing this chaps