Does anybody have the S Tronic 1.4 Sport?

brad9753

Reaction score
I was just wondering what it was like to drive? There wasn't one to test drive but I have been won over to Autos after driving many company cars that are. If the Audi Auto is anything like the 2013 Golf 1.4 I drove, I will love it. Hear they use the same gear box etc so I hope so.
But I am struggling to find any reviews so thought I would ask here.

Brad

I can't remember seeing anyone on here with one. Might be because they were a later addition to the order book. Someone might be along soon!

I can't remember seeing anyone on here with one. Might be because they were a later addition to the order book. Someone might be along soon!

I hope I will be along soon with details on the 1.4 STronic ;)

Reactions: mjcourtney
Hey Leon4112, How do you find it? Glad you went S Tronic and not Manuel?

Hey Leon4112, How do you find it? Glad you went S Tronic and not Manuel?

Yeah i utterly love it I've never driven a auto before and had manuals for 10 years now and from the last week with this i would never go back, i mostly drive it in Auto mode but for quick shifts and red line Dynamic is the best and really has enough power for anything ( had a bmw 330 ci before) and don't feel it needs more to get by which i was worried about.

Reactions: JVA
Not been a fan of auto box's on sporty cars but took an A3 S-Tronic for a test drive and loved it, really quick change, if you want to use in manual you can knock the gear lever over and use the paddles, but no need really as switching the box to sport mode will red line it anyway 😉.
So yes I have ordered 1.8 S-Tronic 😃

I have 1.4 Sport S-tronic. Its my 4th S-tronic equipped Audi and all have been exceptionally good.

Want to order a 1.4 S-tronic, however having difficulty finding a dealer with a demo model.

Can S-tronic owners please confirm that the 1.4 122ps doesn't have any of the problems of the larger engines i.e the jerkiness or lag ?

"it's often jerky in stop-start traffic and when parking". Appreciate these comments relate to a 6 speed 2.0 Diesel, however just want to make sure and avoid a very expensive mistake.

Finally does the 1.4 140ps use the same 7 speed S-tronic box as the 1.4 122ps ?

S Tronic demos are hard to come by.

I would have loved to have driven a 122ps S Tronic. When I asked my local dealer if they had any a3 s tronic demos the answer was "The only S tronic we've got is the R8"

Combined with concerns about smoothness at low speed and reliability I decided it was too risky. Went for the COD instead.

I took a 2.0 TDI S Tronic A3 for a test drive and it was as smooth a silk, but I also drove the 1.4 S Tronic A1 and on one gear change at low speed I felt a small jerk, but the rest of the drive was great, loved it!

I don't know where you are but both where at Southend Audi, part of the Essex Audi group.

The A1 and A3 1.4 engines are totally different even though they are available with the same power output
My A3 122ps S-Tronic is, like the previous 3 S-Tronics I've had on 1.4, 1.8 and 2.0 petrol engines, totally smooth and jerk free at all speeds, including in Stop / Start traffic
The 122 and 140 ps engines both use the same S-tronic box
I'm in Chelmsford, if you're near I'd be happy to take you out in it

The A1 and A3 1.4 engines are totally different even though they are available with the same power output
My A3 122ps S-Tronic is, like the previous 3 S-Tronics I've had on 1.4, 1.8 and 2.0 petrol engines, totally smooth and jerk free at all speeds, including in Stop / Start traffic

Cheers thanks for the offer unfortunately i'm in the West Midlands.

Looking at the specs between the 122ps and 140ps the difference in economy isn't that much different, its only the acceleration where there's a noticeable difference, so perhaps the 122ps is the safer bet as the 140ps hasn't reached anybody yet.

A1 and A3 engines are different, that's surprising! I loved the S-Tronic and have ordered one, just that one little glitch on the A1 but that could have even been me not used to the gearbox.
That said I have ordered mine with the 1.8 without driving it with that engine, do you know if Chelmsford Audi had a 1.8 A3 by any chance?

The A3 has the totally new EA211 modular engine. Compared to the one in the A1 its aluminium instead of iron, has belt driven cams rather than chain and has the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head which helps it to warm up very quickly which helps economy and emissions.

I don't wish tp put you off but my one regret is that I didn't wait for the 140ps engine and its better acceleration.

The 140ps with S-tronic has been available in the VW Polo Blue GT and the new Golf GT for some time - trying one of them would give you an idea about the engine.

I didn't get mine from Chelmsford Audi so i don't know what they might have - i don't like dealing with them.

Hi have orderd a 1.4 COD engine with s-Tronic. Do you think the car will jolt and be unsmooth around town and low speeds