Dodgy wipers but already replaced linkage 3 months ago?

spankius

Reaction score
2002 1.8t A4 Avant

My wipers have stopped working. Whatever i do with the wiper stalk nothing happens, yet every time i turn the ignition on the wipers move an inch even in the off position.

Recently the front wipers went on full speed and i couldn't stop them until i turned off the engine. Then they worked fine for about a week before this happened.

The washer jets still work though.

I had the slow wipers about 3 months ago and replaced the wiper linkage.

My drain holes got blocked again and water come down by the pedals, could this have caused it?

I have checked the fuse and it was ok. Is there a wiper relay? some say yes others say no but i'm not sure where it would be?

Any ideas? Thanks

Water by the pedals isnt good, there's some fairly important electrics around there so maybe somethings got wet, few relays in there aswell, could try removing & checking with a 12v supply if the relays work, 1 at a time of course.

Cleared the drain holes again, did it from underneath much easier.
I know the fuses on the right hand side but where are the relays?

Its behind the trim above footwell.

Great, thanks.
Unable to do it until saturday but will try those then.

Don't just clear the drain holes, remove the rubber grommets otherwise it will just keep happening

what about checking if the motor isnt faulty ...... seen a very similar fault on a pug 307 and it was a motor fault, seemed the owner used to have the wipers going when it stopped raining etc

Last edited:
Now when i start the car it does about 6 full sweeps at normal speed and parks in the upright position. Still going to test the relay on saturday.
If it was a faulty motor would it not just stop working completely?

Doubt it's the motor. Audi use a slightly more robust unit than the French. My linkage was completely seized and it didn't burn out the motor, and as you say the motor clearly still works albeit for a short time. When you replaced the linkage was it an atermarket part or original? Could be a cheapo alternative has twisted or failed and the motor doesn't like it?

Now the wipers are on normal speed all the time.
Since then i have replaced the wiper relay and wiper stalk. Still the same.
Anybody got any ideas.

Could it be something to do with the convenience unit thing under the carpet. Which side is it on Uk drivers side or passenger side. My drivers side footwell is damp but not soaking wet.

Fixed it. Electric module under dash was full of water dried it out and everything works.

Thought so :) lucky boy I'd say if was full of water, could of been new module, good to hear fixed.

Looks like there is still a slight dribble of water coming in the drivers footwell.
Not caused by the drain holes.
Probably happened when i did the linkage is there something common that leaks after changing the linkage?

Didn't completely take it out but did move it about a bit.

Check all the screws from ECU box if they are tightened properly,that caused a leaking ECU in my case.

Thanks. Will try that but won't be able to do it for a while but very little is coming in. Already got the carpet out so can keep an eye on it.
Ashihara please look at my other thread about the front wiper motor part no. I don't really post on threads much, I remembered to come back and say it was fixed but forgot to say thanks. So thankyou.

Wiper motor part number for my 2003 a4 2.5 TDi is D390241510 or 8E2955119A B0Y.

I just changed my wipemotor 9 months after last replacing it, and its still not working!!

Can you tell me where this under dash electrical box is please and what it looks like? I too had to remove my drain plugs just last week and I'll bet any money that the water ingress from that has affected this module!

Just removed my electrical module under the dash and it was full of water too. Opened it up to find a few areas of light corrosion and currently gently drying the pcb out. Luckily I've got some proper Electo Circuit Cleanser so will do a good job of the pcb before re-fitting later, or maybe tomorrow as its dark.

Fingers crossed this will sort the wiper problems, but I'd like to thank you guys for this and other threads for giving me the info to progress this :arco:.

Check all the screws from ECU box if they are tightened properly,that caused a leaking ECU in my case.
LOL, I always put a bead of silicon sealant round the seal of the ECU case lid to be on the safe side :thumbsup:.