Dodgey, if not dangerous, wiring

GeeJay89

Reaction score
Hey

First post on here after purchasing my A3 and being recommended to the forum by a fellow member. It's been a very good read so far and incredibly helpful with hints and tips etc.

But after a week of searching and trawling through posts I couldn't find anything that came even close to the problem im having.

The previous owner has fitted angel eyes to the car, and it's apparent that he has followed the right method of connecting all the wires up, according to a guide I read somewhere.

Anyway the problem, my light switch is causing me headaches as their proposed functions don't actually do what there meant to.

In position 0, the switch is fine, in position 1 the number plate lights come on, in position 2 the headlights come on.

When you pull the dial out, in either position 1 or 2 the side lights and tail lights come on, when you pull it out again in either position the rear fog light comes on. And finally, when you have it in position 2 and pulled out one notch (side lights, front and rear lights) and turn full beam on, the rear lights go off!

ANy idea how I can re-wire so they um, work? I understand that it could be hard to visualise but hopefully someone can understand. I took a few pictures of various looms you can look at to ensure there arn't any anomolies attached.

The cars an 8L 1998 1.8T 5v, engine code: AGU.

If you have any other details you need please let me know, ill try and provide them.

Cheers
Grant

Sounds like hes wired the sidelights into the front fogs or something?

In position 1, the sidelights should be on all round, as well as the numberplate lights.

Pulling the dial out should turn on the front fogs.

Personally, i'd bin the **** lights and put it back to standard.

Id say the best bet is to take it to an auto electrician because i doubt anyone on here could tell you how to do it right without seeing the car and the fact that the guy whos done it has made a mess of it. Or as above put some standard lights back in unless hes made a mess of the loom and that wouldnt work.

Apologise for my ignorance, but did the old headlight cluster presumably contain the fog light within it? At current the angel eyes have all the usual, full, dipped, indicators, side and these two pesky LED's which do sweet fa at night, only just realised their there. COuld they be potentially replacing the front fogs or have I got this all wrong?

The thing that worries me is that the back lights have not alot to do with the wiring of the front lights and yet when full beam is on the back lights go off. The only thing they have in common is the switch and I've had a play around with that this morning and it looks untouched, i.e. no eletrical tap =) unless im missing something?

Might have to be an auto electrician cause he's truely naused this one up big time it appears.

he was only supposed to wire the red and black cables from the underneath of the lights into the dipped headlight wires. so the halo rings come on with the dipped beem and remain on for main beam and full beam like normal

Yeah the fog light are in the headlights and he probably has wired the leds to work in place of them. As for the back lights going off i would say a short in the wiring but im no expert in electrics so not too sure on that.

everything should be pre wired except the halo rings then its as i mentioned above. if none were wired then no idea what he has done! lol

You need to work out yourself what wire and connection does what using a multimeter then go from there. Wiring is actually really simple once you get your head round it. Sounds like it could be feeding through a neutral which can cause all sorts of funny business. Hopefully they have only touched the headlight connectors wiring and nothing else

You need to work out yourself what wire and connection does what using a multimeter then go from there. Wiring is actually really simple once you get your head round it. Sounds like it could be feeding through a neutral which can cause all sorts of funny business. Hopefully they have only touched the headlight connectors wiring and nothing else

I agree, test lights and multi meters will help you on your way there. It's not that hard to be fair dude. A bit of head scratching aside.

Did alot of head scratching this afternoon, im not particularly clueless when it comes to electrics but he's well and truely bodged this.

Based over in Brighton Aragon, Lancashire is a tad far for me, but thank you for the offer.

Given up in the end, taking it round Iceman's on Sunday, I described it to him and he doesn't have a clue either, so he's just going to rip it all out and start again fresh. Didn't want to splash the cash without needing it, but least it will be done proffesionally. Thanks for all the help thus far, much appreciated.