Do you let your misses drive your pride and joy?

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
As per subject, who lets their misses drive their motor? On their own?

Its just that I'm looking to move house and currently have 3 cars! I have:-

Audi S3
Polo 16V ( R plate)
Polo runabout for work

I commute 80 miles per day (mon-fri) so bought the polo to clock up the miles. The audi normally sits on the drive which I use mainly on weekends. The misses has the 16v polo for back and fore to work and other journeys!

As we are looking to purchase a new house (more expensive) we are looking at where we *waste* cash! The audi is the big one as I hardly drive it!

When we move house, we are talking about reducing the 3 cars to 2 cars. We could keep the audi but she would have to use it everyday back and fore to work (as it is closer so doesn't rack up the miles as much as I would). We would sell both the other cars and get a diesel for me to go back and fore to work.

Sounds like she is getting the best deal but I can see where she is coming from! I could sell the S3 but then I wouldn't have it at all! But can I trust her not to bash it, scrub the alloys, park tidy etc etc.

Hmmmm decisions decisions...

Balls to it man ... I do an 80 mile daily commute and I use the S3 - I didn't buy it for it to sit on the driveway.

Sure it'll lose a bit of value due to high miles and it's not the most economical car on the road but spending the amount of time a day in car I do I want it to be in as nice a place as possible.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A

My missus has driven mine once... scared herself half to death. When your used to a 70bhp 1.3 festa, a 320 1.8T is a bit much. lol. I would trust her to drive it after a few accompanied drives but would put on some cheap alloys which would matter if they got curbed. For general driving it would be fine though

erm, no i wouldnt let my GF use the car on her own... infact i hardly let her use it when im with her.... especially now i have new wheels!!

having said that i dont know your missus and dont know what she drives like. so its a tough one to call.

The wife uses mine (our's) everyday. I have slightly kerbed an alloy, which she finds very amusing. She hasnt harmed it and claims she only drives badly when I am in the car criticising her!

I have just got a Nova to get to and from my new job (shame of it) as I was met with hostility when I suggested I get her a little run around and I had the Audi.

She ruined the old car with car park injuries with dents and dings, but all is good so far with the Audi.

Good Luck Dicky!

Cheers for the comments guys!

She is a pretty good driver but has done silly things like kerb her alloys.

Perhaps I'm being too paranoid? She knows how much I love the car so I know she would do her best to keep it tidy. And I suppose if something does happen then I could always get it repaired!

Hmm

[ QUOTE ]
And I suppose if something does happen then I could always get it repaired!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the other way to look at it. alloys can be repaired easily enough.

Rich

I let the other half drive my car. She is insured for it so I don't see a problem with her driving it.

I don't see the point in having a "weekend" car unless it's something really special.

The GF has driven my S3 once, in a carpark, so she could see what it was like. I wouldn't trust her to drive it anywhere else though - I just don't think she's ready for the step up in power (from a 1.2 Punto). Also, the £400 increase to the insurance is a block (probably more since her last accident).

On the communting from, I drive 110 miles a day and I do it in the S3. Yes, it costs me a lot to run it but it brings a smile to my face every time I get in it so is well worth the money.

[ QUOTE ]

On the communting from, I drive 110 miles a day and I do it in the S3. Yes, it costs me a lot to run it but it brings a smile to my face every time I get in it so is well worth the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good lad! As you say it costs a fair bit to run but it's a great excuse to have some fun to and from work. Nice to be different from the hundred or so Golf TDIs I see every morning too!

A

My missus used my car quite a lot a couple of years ago, she even took it to work on a couple of occasions, much to the jeaulousy of her male working staff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, that is until she decided to kerb 2 of my 19" wheels and reverse into a concrete bollard in a space of a week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, she has used the car about 3 times since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif - now shes afraid to drive it! So I took this opportunity to do the car up with the brake upgrade and remap etc.
Anyway, back to the topic, keep the S3 and buy yourself a diesel for work Rich, I'm keeping mine as it gives me huge satisfaction and my early 1999 example S3 has probably lost most of its value in depreciation now anyway. I have my trusty Passat Tdi as my family workhourse with 104K miles on the clock and still going strong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple yet to the point. Lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I don't see a problem with the power in the S3. The girlfriend used to drive a 1.6 Renault 19 and she doesn't have any issues (she never takes it past 2.5k rpm even when I tell her to give it more!!). I actually think she's probably safer in it than I am. Several times she has commented that I park too close to the trolly parks in ASDA and I should park further away so it doesn't get pranged. Now I know why I asked her to marry me!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

whats the 16v polo like milage, doors etc? i used to have one and my bro's now tempted by one

Bit of role reversal in my situation, my gf drives a Merc SLK 230 Kompressor. I only really get to drive it to the car-wash or mechanic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I let my misses have a go on my fireblade once .... she came past me doing aroung 70mph on the back wheel in a 30 zone !

Needless to say, it was the last time

i let my wife take mine out in the snow this winter she loved it. Don`t get a car just for show, use it. The wife would never drive the crx i had she said it was too heavy on the stearing and tramlined too much

My wife drives my car regularly, has kirbed three of my wheels in the process though. She has a Lupo GTi and hasn't kirbed any of hers !

Chris.

hmm. Sounds like I should keep it then!

After all, she is insured and things can get repaired if needed!

Perhaps I should save some cash on a regular basis and use this to referb the alloys / remove the dents etc.

Now whats the number for chipsaway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have to say think you've come to the right decision, cars are for driving, so it makes sense for her to be driving it rather than it sitting about, that said my girlfriends driving is shocking...

I would be using it myself if I were in your position, but i understand why you don't with fuel prices etc, I ended up doing over 500 miles a week in mine for 6 months - was fun when not on motorway though - or on a motorway very early in the morning... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have to say think you've come to the right decision, cars are for driving, so it makes sense for her to be driving it rather than it sitting about, that said my girlfriends driving is shocking...

I would be using it myself if I were in your position, but i understand why you don't with fuel prices etc, I ended up doing over 500 miles a week in mine for 6 months - was fun when not on motorway though - or on a motorway very early in the morning... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think your right! Basically the options are sell it and never get to drive it again OR let her use it and I can use it too when I come home from work and weekends!

Ok, you've sold me on the idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I'll hunt you down when she kerbs one of my alloys or puts a dent in her! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Cheers
Rich

[ QUOTE ]
whats the 16v polo like milage, doors etc? i used to have one and my bro's now tempted by one

[/ QUOTE ]

The polo is a great little car. Its on 50K miles and runs very well.

Bodywork is pretty good on it too!

Its lowered, roof spoiler, 15'' alloys etc.

Looks really nice, and for a 1.4 (100BHP) it goes very well!

er....

I have an arrangement with the girly - we go out in my S3 and I drive there.......have a few beers and yep you guessed it she drives back

i think the quote is 'sharing is caring '

My misses just passed her test 2 weeks ago today so - NO WAAAYYYY.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bought her a little Ford KA which she loves so i've got away with it for a while.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ade

Well I've just sold the S3, which the missus used to use every now and again. Mainly when I was either too drunk, or too tired to drive.
But now I've got no option as I've bought the new Leon as a "family" car, with me running my Astra van to work and back.
To be honest she's quite a decent driver and as someone commented above always parks at the end of Tesc / Asda's carparks away from the numpties with their trollies.

Its now just a case of who kerbs the alloys first me or the wife.

I hardly see my car cos the missus is always out in it! At least on the plus side it means I hardly see the missus aswell...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

I only let her near it cos it's only a 1.6 which hasn't got enough power to pull you out of bed!

Imo i'd keep the S3 and let the missus drive it. The S3 isn't special enough to be just a weekend car. That's what attacted me to it in the first place - the fact that it offers reasonable performance with decent practicality for everyday driving.

i wish i had a missus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif then i could get drunk and she could pick me up in my s3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif that would be cool.

my mate has a 1.8t and he gets that service regulary - lucky so and so and they are only just engaged after 10 years!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DickyS3, the answer to your dilemma is NO.

Unless you like having your alloys curbed and your front lip spoiler re-sprayed on countless occassions, please nooooooooooo!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If I had a missus I would have to put the standard wheels back on and I would let her drive it, but as it is as the moment no.

ive had my car since 2003 and my mrs has been on insurance since day one but she has never driven it she got in drivers seat once and said steros sh-t BUT she has never driven it, so next time someone bangs on about bose just say bainsyboy although his got 225 tt and a wife ( i promise im secrect hairdresser) reckons the bose sucks ( unlike his mrs )

Well i do let her use the car whenever she wants. However she doesnt enjoy driving with S3 because of the copper clutch. So this is why we are about to get something like vw polo for her... But she never damaged the car so why not ?

My other half drives my cars...

She used to own an Impreza Turbo...so she's not phased by a bit of power.

She uses my GTI whenever she wants it...
She uses the 911 whenever she wants it too...takes it to work, picks me up from the heli-port etc...no big issue.
She knows how paranoid I am about my cars...and accepts it.

As for females getting scared by a bit of power...so sad!
Mine will use it its there...

[ QUOTE ]
As for females getting scared by a bit of power...so sad!
Mine will use it its there...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...just need some training /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif