1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you legally need front Europlate?

MOA4B9 Sep 20, 2019

1. MOA4B9

MOA4B9 Active Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group Audi A4 S tronic

Does anyone know if it is sufficient just to display GB on the rear europlate and not on the front one? Is there legal requirement to have front and rear europlates when not displaying GB sticker?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member Supporter SQ5 owners group Team Cornflower Blue Gold Supporter Team Sahara Silver Team Sepang Audi RS3 Audi TT

See: https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/content/number-plates-rules/

and then tell the rest of us... [​IMG]

Bishop187 likes this.
  4. MOA4B9

MOA4B9 Active Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group Audi A4 S tronic

Doesn't mention anything about having one europlate and one normal.

45bvtc likes this.
  5. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member Supporter SQ5 owners group Team Cornflower Blue Gold Supporter Team Sahara Silver Team Sepang Audi RS3 Audi TT

I agree... :readit:

6. MCarda

MCarda Member TFSI Owners Group Team Tango S-line owners group Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S tronic

A little off topic, my apologies: Post Brexit won’t the Europlates be invalid, and need to be replaced by rear GB sticker? Are there any plans to start issuing “GB” non Euro plates?

7. MOA4B9

What I heard was that the europlate will still be valid but it cannot display the EU flag.

8. MCarda

MCarda Member TFSI Owners Group Team Tango S-line owners group Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S tronic

Interesting, so either we will need to get new plates without the yellow stars, or will electrical tape do the trick? :yahoo:

9. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

17.4 million stickers being printed to place over the EU bit :playful::playful:

10. MOA4B9

On amazon you can get stickers to convert regular plates into europlates. I got the ones with union jack when I was driving to Europe at the time when brexit was meant to happen. Kept them in the glove box just in case we crashed out without a deal.

11. Richard46

Richard46 Active Member TFSI Owners Group

Continuing off topic after Brexit (if it happens) I see no reason why any plates with the EU flag need changing while driving in the UK but on the continent I suspect we will be required to have GB plates on the rear with no EU flag. Before we went into the EU GB plates where only required on the rear so perhaps that convention /regulation will return.

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing Supporter

Correct, we will have to display a GB sticker.
    (Was in the paper I think, or may have been on some news feed I seen honest)
    Regarding the front plate, not sure, maybe not.

Screenshot_20190922-051105.png

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  14. Rich76

Rich76 Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Team Phantom S-line owners group Audi A4

I have driven for the last 7 years with a plain plate on the front and a euro one on rear and never had a problem .

In fact my rear plate is a gb one with out the stars and I’ve nor had an issue , have done around 15k on the continent in that time with no issues .

Attached Files:

Dan_G likes this.
  15. MOA4B9

That's good to know. I will keep the rear europlate and get a plain front one with minimum legal margins.
    I don't think having euro stars or uk flag is a requirement as long as you have GB written on it.

16. simonali

simonali Well-Known Member Audi RSQ3 5 Cylinder

"Look at zat funny auto. It has a white plate on ze front and a yellow one on ze back and ze steering wheel is on ze wrong side. I wonder where it is from?"