Do you have to run in an RS3?

Radman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Daft question maybe but do you really have to run in a new car. Fair enough years ago to clear the swarf out, but most modern engines have been bench tested anyway, even more so on a me RS power plant? Any thoughts much appreciated folks.

Rad

I tend to be a little gentle for a few hundred miles. Not sure why, just like to get the feel of things before giving it too much stick.

Reactions: Radman
I tend to be a little gentle for a few hundred miles. Not sure why, just like to get the feel of things before giving it too much stick.
Yeah, I see your point, but hearing a thousand miles that some folks do, not that is a bad thing but have also heard a good poke from new helps things bed in better, as higher temps, pressure etc help the seals seal quicker rather than warming them...if that makes any sense.

I kept mine mostly under 4k revs for 1000km. After that it was game on!

TX.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
I kept mine mostly under 4k revs for 1000km. After that it was game on!

TX.
The reason I ask is that there is a car with 70 miles on at my dealers that he is trying to sell and I had a test drive today. He drove it like a bit hard and even showed me the launch control...So I was wondering if I needed to be wary?

Well not something I would do (only used LC once in 4k miles!) although others will say it is guaranteed for 3 years so who cares. Tough call.

TX.

Edit - just to add the RS cars arrive at the dealer with about 50 miles already on them, mine did plus loads of others I know. On that basis dealer has only added 20 miles.

My car had 34 miles on the clock when it arrived. As for running in I think I will try to keep below 4000rpm.. Isn't that about 120mph Glad I've got 5year guarantee too!

Reactions: Terminator x
@Radman - More info / thoughts / opinions on running in a new car here (not RS specific)
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-2#post-2477024
The reason I ask is that there is a car with 70 miles on at my dealers that he is trying to sell and I had a test drive today. He drove it like a bit hard and even showed me the launch control...So I was wondering if I needed to be wary?
If there was ever enough of a reason NOT to buy a Dealer demo car this is it IMO
Edit - just to add the RS cars arrive at the dealer with about 50 miles already on them, mine did plus loads of others I know. On that basis dealer has only added 20 miles.
@terminator x - All RS cars are thoroughly tested before they leave the factory, hence you could normally expect around 50 miles or so on the clock of a new one

Reactions: Terminator x and Radman
@Radman - More info / thoughts / opinions on running in a new car here (not RS specific)
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-2#post-2477024

If there was ever enough of a reason NOT to buy a Dealer demo car this is it IMO

@terminator x - All RS cars are thoroughly tested before they leave the factory, hence you could normally expect around 50 miles or so on the clock of a new one
I agree mate about ex demo mate and thanks for the link. Like I said, it's not as though the car has been thrashed and has 500 miles or so on the clock, because it's a cancelled order he is keen to sell so wanted me to see what it could do. When he did a laugh control I was a bit surprised but to be fair the car was well warmed up by then anyway. I'd expect the RS cars to get a thrashing during testing before they leave the factory anyway.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
No.
What do you think the boys do to them when they are driven around the factory/train/boat/pdi..........RS3 is a mass produced engine that only produces 370bhp from 2litres, many modern 4stroke engines (most modern superbikes for example) produce 200+bhp/litre normally aspirated and do easy 100k+ miles. If he let it warm up he is probably doing it good and will do no damage at all..........why would Audi so easily allow 5 yr warranties if there was any doubt over longevity?

Reactions: Radman
No.
What do you think the boys do to them when they are driven around the factory/train/boat/pdi..........RS3 is a mass produced engine that only produces 370bhp from 2litres, many modern 4stroke engines (most modern superbikes for example) produce 200+bhp/litre normally aspirated and do easy 100k+ miles. If he let it warm up he is probably doing it good and will do no damage at all..........why would Audi so easily allow 5 yr warranties if there was any doubt over longevity?
Bang on the money there mate.