Do some pre-2015 2.0 TDIs meet EURO 6 standards?

A3P

Reaction score
Hi all,

for those of you who don't know London introduced a new daily tax for cars called the Ultra Low Emissions Zone. Minimum standards now (ie tax free) are EURO 6 diesels and EURO 4 petrols. Eventually it seems this will roll out to most UK cities.

My car is a 2013 2.0 TDI (150bhp) A3. At the time, it was registered as a EURO 5 vehicle since EURO 6 standards were introduced in 2015.

I have unsuccessfully been trying to find the detailed emissions information for the above engine to see if it meets EURO 6 standards as Transport for London allows you to submit supportive documentation to waive the Ultra low emissions fee in London.

I have contacted Audi UK and spoke to 2 representatives who are unable to provide me with this type of information, they simply don't have any data (or so they claim) and have advised me to speak to Audi Germany.

- Has anyone dealt with this issue before?
- The engine fitted to my 2013 car has the same BHP and CO2 emissions compared to 2.0 TDI cars registered in 2015, but the latter were approved as 'EURO 6'. Does anyone know if Audi modified the engines in any way between those years? I have read that some pre-2015 cars were surpassing EURO 5 standards due to DPF filters so perhaps they would have met EURO 6 specification criteria before it was introduced.

Any help on this would be appreciated as it seems that this 'tax' may not apply to some pre-2015 cars with the relevant supporting documentation.

On paper the car is registered as a EURO 5+ in 2013. However, EURO 6 standards were introduced in 2015. But, the same engine version of the car bought in 2015 or later is a EURO 6 which is exempt from tax.
Looking at the available data both my car and newer cars with the same engine have the same horsepower and same CO2 emissions but are registered in different EURO standards due to different years obviously.
I am therefore trying to find whether the car would have met EURO 6 standards, if they had been available when it was first registered.

Having an official confirmation of this (from Audi hopefully) would make the car exempt from the new taxes which have caused a depreciation in the diesel market for some vehicles and it would also allow one to travel to the ultra low emissions zone without the added tax.

My problem is that I have spoken to my Audi dealership where I bought the car, and 2 different representatives from Audi UK who are not willing to say anything on this as they say they don't have any data on the engines emission other than CO2. This sounds odd to me, surely the manufacturer is aware of the full emissions.

Wouldn’t matter if it’s registered as Euro 5 there will be no arguing to get exemptions for ULEZ in London. The changes Audi would have made would been minimum but changes nonetheless and there’s no easy way to re-register your car as a euro 6.
I remember the changes for the a6 was the euro 6 cars had adblue and the euro 5 cars didn’t.

thanks for the information I appreciate it is difficult to change things at a national policy level but Transport for London themselves say the allow exemptions if you can prove the car meets their standards which means it is not necessary to officially change it to a EURO 6. I would just need to register the vehicle on the Transport for London website and provide confirmation of emissions from the manufacturer.

From my searches online it seems that this issue has potentially been overlooked and many others may be unnecessarily paying this tax. This is not fair in my view if it is inappropriately enforced.

If you scroll down on this link from carbuyer they include some pre - 2015 diesels on a list that are euro 6 compliant. On this list they have included the 2.0TDI on A3s from 2013 onwards (click on the audi models list). Here is the link: https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/euro...s/921/euro-6-diesel-cars-list-full-details-of
I am not sure where carbuyer got their data from, however.

I am still researching this issue and I will update if there is any news. I will try and contact Audi at Ingolstadt to see if I can get a breakdown of my car's emissions which is basic information that Audi UK are unable to provide.

You’ve also got the diesel scandal around that time this is probably why Audi isn’t giving the figures out. The scandal was around the euro 4/5 cars so the euro 6 cars might have had significant modification like adblue.
Not trying to be negative but doubt Audi will do anything and London city is trying to make money out of this so they are gonna make it more difficult so more will pay. Think the rules there are potentially for cars that’s had modifications like lpg conversions.

Anyway good luck with this. Will be interesting to see your progress.

Hi all,

for those of you who don't know London introduced a new daily tax for cars called the Ultra Low Emissions Zone. Minimum standards now (ie tax free) are EURO 6 diesels and EURO 4 petrols. Eventually it seems this will roll out to most UK cities.

My car is a 2013 2.0 TDI (150bhp) A3. At the time, it was registered as a EURO 5 vehicle since EURO 6 standards were introduced in 2015.

I have unsuccessfully been trying to find the detailed emissions information for the above engine to see if it meets EURO 6 standards as Transport for London allows you to submit supportive documentation to waive the Ultra low emissions fee in London.

I have contacted Audi UK and spoke to 2 representatives who are unable to provide me with this type of information, they simply don't have any data (or so they claim) and have advised me to speak to Audi Germany.

- Has anyone dealt with this issue before?
- The engine fitted to my 2013 car has the same BHP and CO2 emissions compared to 2.0 TDI cars registered in 2015, but the latter were approved as 'EURO 6'. Does anyone know if Audi modified the engines in any way between those years? I have read that some pre-2015 cars were surpassing EURO 5 standards due to DPF filters so perhaps they would have met EURO 6 specification criteria before it was introduced.

Any help on this would be appreciated as it seems that this 'tax' may not apply to some pre-2015 cars with the relevant supporting documentation.

4ee8ef535fc8a4d6b05fd12eb676f99b.jpg

Mine says it meets the requirements but I pay £125 tax
d53f7c9ea5870e30715f51289be09dd4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk