Do S3s come with different front bumpers??

MO11TEL

Reaction score
I've noticed some S3s have a chrome lip and some have the same front bumper as the s-line. Am I seeing things or?

Hi Mo11el, you are not going mad, I believe the HB and SB are the same but the Saloon is different as it is wider, the saloon is the one with the chrome lip.

Someone more helpful will no doubt point you in the right direction as I believe there was a discussion on this not so long ago.

That's spot on, I do like the chrome lip..............

Wish I could get the chrome lip on my HB

Reactions: Rob2k68
The differentiation of the S3 is frankly pathetic. At least on the 8P it looked fairly different to the standard models, with the 8V about the only major differences are the badges and exhausts.

And remember that you don't get the S-Line detailing in front of the front wheel with any saloon version of the A3/S3 which I think is a shame as I really like that feature. I know some don't but each to his own eh!

Reactions: The Challinor
The differentiation of the S3 is frankly pathetic

S3 is an A3 :p

Exactly the same bodyshell and interior as a 1.2 A3 ;)

Just has a larger engine and different suspension, plus a go faster bodykit :p

That's the thing - it doesn't even have the go faster bodykit this time!

For the extra they charge for an S3 I'd expect it to at least have significantly different front and rear bumpers so it looks visually different and distinctive.

That's why we like them, if we wanted something to shout about and look OTT you would buy a fast Ford. I like having the exec look, it means 95% of people wouldn't have a clue, and keeps it under the radar of skanks robbing your house to get to them.......

Reactions: The Challinor and 0B1001001
Difference between Saloon and hatch S3

Saloon
2014-Audi-S3-Sedan-Front.jpg

Hatch
14427.jpg

The differentiation of the S3 is frankly pathetic. At least on the 8P it looked fairly different to the standard models, with the 8V about the only major differences are the badges and exhausts.

I find that a bit of an odd comment, but each to their own :)

There are a number of differences, and whilst they are fairly subtle, like others I would prefer it that way, rather than the in-yer-face look of the Focus RS Mk2 or the new CTR.

The styling differences are as follows:

‘S’ design body styling comprising:
- S3 front bumper with new air intake grilles in
a honeycomb structure and double chrome bars.
Also includes additional air intake funnels in place
of the front fog lights and aluminium-look blades
defining the lower edge of the bumper
- Rear diffuser incorporating dual-branch oval
twin tailpipes and double chrome bar at the
top of the diffuser
- Door sill trims with S3 logo
- S3 rear spoiler
Door mirrors with aluminium-look housing

You can see the differences here:

Sport
audi_a3_saloon-2.jpg

Sline
BT14HLA1.jpg

S3
16251007149_2da6c1f42b_b.jpg

That's why we like them, if we wanted something to shout about and look OTT you would buy a fast Ford. I like having the exec look, it means 95% of people wouldn't have a clue, and keeps it under the radar of skanks robbing your house to get to them.......

Just the look I was going for, under the radar :p

That's the thing - it doesn't even have the go faster bodykit this time!

For the extra they charge for an S3 I'd expect it to at least have significantly different front and rear bumpers so it looks visually different and distinctive.
Agreed, you'd blink and miss with the differences between the s-line and an S3. Just far too understated in my opinion, even a better rear spoiler option would help...

To be fair I hadn't realised the grille had the chrome slats on it - that does set it apart a fair bit I'll grant you.

Still think it should look "more different" tbh.

I know the differneces are blink and you miss them between the S3 and S-line, but personally I've been stopped a few times at petrol stations etc by clued up people who certainly know what it is and what to ask questions about it.

Badges make all the difference I think ;)

Reactions: The Challinor
After owning 2x S3's and having another on order I am used to people saying how's the A3? I used to say it's an S3 but this got boring and repetitive so now I just smile and say great. Those who know, know and those who don't, don't. That's just how I like it. If I wanted an in-ya-face motor I would not be driving or buying an Audi (RS being the exception of course)

Audi mentality?? you would need the worlds best psychologist to analyse there design team minds,buyers who choose the S3 In any form should deserve a little diversion on the styling front as they pay a LOT more money,than the S- LINE punters..too me its a mute point....the Golf R...looks alot different from a GTI/GTD

Yes I must say I'm disappointed that my A3 S-Line is not more differentiated from the S3. I get fed up with people in car parks and petrol stations coming up to me and asking me how I like my S3. I have to politely tell them that mine is not the souped up boy racer version but a sedate old man' car with low emissions and low fuel consumption.

But I usually point out the temperature gauge inside my car and that stops them in their tracks when I tell them that the "fast" version apparently doesn't need one.

Reactions: lewissmallwood, veeeight, Phil-1 and 1 other person