DO IT YOURSELF SERVICING (OOH EER)

swarcup

Reaction score
Now then guys

just looking for a bit of advise. Car is needing a service soon (2001 b6 2.5tdi sport quattro engine AKE)and i have always done it myself in previous cars so as my car is a 51 plate with 115k on il do it myself, not bothered about service stamps as i wont be selling it on till knackered, Hull audi want £250 for oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter. seems steep. im sure all the parts including the tools will be cheaper, anyhow i am told that there is a special tool for removing the sump plug and another for the oil filter, is this true? dont want to get all the parts and find i cant fit them because i dont have the tools. anyone know the best way to do the fuel filter obviously i know you should fill it up with diesel when refitting but should i clamp the pipes or is it just a case of remove one and fit to the new fiter in turn. not in a mad rush but a little advise prior to doing it would be valuable :icon_thumright:

I did an engine flush, oil change, air filter change & pollen filter change on mine a couple of months ago and the only tool I didn't have was a large socket to fit the nut on top of the oil filter case which I got from Halfrauds (can't remember the size of it though). The only tools you will need are a socket set, screwdriver and oil pan to change the oil & air filters, this guide is pretty good too LINKY :)

I didn't do the fuel filter though so can't help you there

Hi Swarcup i would agree with 1210tec I have done my own servicing on my last A6 2.5TDi - up to 220K & the wifes 1.9 A4 TDi. Oil & air are straight forward & with the oil filter on top of the engine its v easy to get at. It helps to have a large socket to fit the plastic nut shape on top of the oil filter container - which is only lightly done up (hand tight) but takes a little leverage to move. A well fitting large adjustable will do at a pinch but a socket is kinder to the plastic nut shape. The sump plug - if I remember - takes a 17mm hexagonal 'key'. Like an Alen but I have one on a 1/2'' socket drive.

I have done a few fuel filters and the trick is to have some fuel to top it up to the brim before connecting it all up. You might need to renew your crimped connectors with jubilee clips of the right size. The time I didn't top up the fuel filter - and thought it would fill up when the engine was cranked - caused me to call out the AA when it wouldn't start to remove the air from the system.

All he did was to remove each of the injector pipes from the engine in turn & cranked the engine until fuel flowed out & then put each back. It then started - so this is a good back-up if you have problems. The parts I always get from GSF.
Regards - John C