Do I? Don't I?

mercules

Reaction score
Looking for some advice or opinions guys.

I'm at 107k miles now B8.5 should I

Change supercharger oil
Change thermostat
Change water pump
Change PVC? Pretty ok doing 1ltr every 2-3k miles (stage2 - 5w40) I'll probably do a rebuild kit I found rather than whole assembly.

I don't really want to wait for something to break that could cause damage to other components the cars been ultra reliable the 4yrs I've owned it. But looking at the age and millage I'm swaying to do the above especially as the charger will be off. The bill for all the work minus the PVC is worse case at £1k best case £600.

What do you guys think? Am I being OTT.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I don't know what car you have but I'm assuming it's either an S4 or RS4....
Personally I always look at it like this, if you are happy with the car or even better you love the car then will you be able to find a replacement for less than the cost of some preventive work at what that cost?
If it were me I'd do the work.

Reactions: Andy Butcher
Thanks it's a S4. Perhaps if I look at it if I don't do it now I will need to do it later so why run the increased risk or something happening and then looking back that I should of just done it. Piece of mind really I guess.

Or leave it so the car eventually blows up and I can buy your S4 seats off you for my dynamik lol

Haha have you sat in them? I don't really find them comfortable there's no width adjustment like you get in the other German cars. So they are wide and when driving fast it's hard to stay center when cornering. I've tried adjusting many times and can never get pain free long journey.

That's interesting to know as I keep looking for a set as I like the look of them in the car! I will have to try out a set! We can swap...:icon thumright:

Definitely try before you buy only thing which will be tricky is the longer journey comfort as you might not be able to test this unless it's a mates car.

I might just stick in a camping chair instead lol then you can have them

Officially the supercharger oil does not need replacing. In theory I will have mine done but I don't know at what point - likely somewhere beyond 60K miles. However since my car's only done just over 20K and I do less than 4K a year (and less than that for the moment) I may never need to.

Since the PCV system (I assume you mean that and not the plastic) is underneath the supercharger I'd advise not to touch it unless you have symptoms of valve failure (excessive oil consumption).

Thermostat and water pump are worth doing as preventative maintenance, however again I think the supercharger is in the way - if there's no water leak now there could be one after the work is done!

The drain plug for the supercharger oil is under the charger so my thinking was if it's off then to do everything else as it's the most labor intensive item

I've got zero issues but how annoying would it be that something as you said developes after just changing the oil.

I'm just going to do the valve on the pvc instead of changing the whole lot. The stock valve is known to leak there's a uprated part by RKXtech for this engine which I've ordered at £35 shipped to UK.

So I've settled I'll just get charger oil, water pump, PVC (just valve changed) and thermostat. There's some gaskets the garage will order just incase they need replacing and I read there's a weak coolant pipe on the charger that maybe good to change too.