DMF Replacement - DIY?

Cyrix

Reaction score
The DMF on my A4 Quattro is starting to show initial signs of failure, I'm wondering if anyone has tackled this job at home and if so any pointers?

Removing the gearbox is obviously the most straightforward way but could prove to be a real nightmare on my own due to the weight even using jacks to raise and lower it.

I'm wondering if pulling the engine is the answer, I've already got an engine crane and could easily complete the job in a day. Seems a bit drastic but it's not really complex work to remove.

Anyone?

The DMF on my A4 Quattro is starting to show initial signs of failure, I'm wondering if anyone has tackled this job at home and if so any pointers?

Removing the gearbox is obviously the most straightforward way but could prove to be a real nightmare on my own due to the weight even using jacks to raise and lower it.

I'm wondering if pulling the engine is the answer, I've already got an engine crane and could easily complete the job in a day. Seems a bit drastic but it's not really complex work to remove.

Anyone?

I've done this job on the floor and it is a ball ache in every way of the word but it's doable. I wouldn't remove the engine to do it tbh, as that's probably twice the job of the gearbox removal, aslong as you don't mind rolling about on the floor that is.

I just got the car as high up as possible on 4 axle stands, removed the down pipe and centre section. Unbolted both front drive shafts and the rear prop shaft, removed the starter motor and unbolted the gearbox from the engine, then slowly lowered it down until the prop shaft seperated from the gearbox. (This is the tricky and potentially expensive part if you get it wrong) lower the gearbox and you'll see the clutch slave cylinder on the top, 5 or 6mm Allen key to unbolt and slide out gently.
Then remove the connector for the gearbox sensor, undo the gearbox linkage (13mm onto the shaft, 13mm onto the gearbox and a torx 30 if I remember to undo the bush for the gearbox linkage.
I then just rocked it gently as I lowered it and out she comes!
Its just getting it back in where the fun starts!
Also don't forget the spacer for between the gearbox and the engine..... Causes all kinds of problems if you forget it lol!

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Also make sure you have a friend handy to help you maneuver the gearbox into place.

Reactions: Cyrix
Hmm, may reconsider and go the gearbox route. I assume you just used a jack under the box to take the weight?

I know this is the easiest route in terms of bits that need to be removed, and compared to FWD gearboxes (of which I've done a few) should be even easier it's purely the weight in such a confined space that worries me a bit.

I made a bit of an attachment for the jack to support the weight of the gearbox when I changed it on my Passat. The gearbox on a Quattro is around
85Kg so not something you are going to manage to lift under a car.
I managed to remove it on my own and just needed some muscle to manouvre the new one in.

Yeah I just used a jack and balanced it while we pulled it out from underneath. Then just returned it back under once requires

Good luck removing it on the floor I did my clutch on a ramp and that was a nightmare. I dropped the full exhaust system just to give me some room. It's a big box to take out on the floor and I would not even attempt it on the floor as it was bad enough on a ramp. have a 170 Quattro.

But good luck if you want to have a blast. The hardest bolts I thought to get to was the ones right at the top

I used to transmission jacks to get my gearbox out as its a massive box