DMF Knackered!

david_phillips95

Reaction score
Dropped my car off at the garage this morning to get my Sachs Performance Clutch installed, just got a call there to tell me the DMF is gubbed - excessive play in it.
My car has only done 19800 miles, The DMF's are like chocolate in these cars. My car is on 07 with LUK clutch and flywheel. Going to order up the Sachs DMF and do away with the LUK setup. Does anyone have the Sachs DMF number to hand?

Cheers Davie

I say go for the sach reinforced clutch cover and single mass flywheel! I have the full setup in my 2.0tdi. It makes a vibrating noise on idle, but when I floor it its worth the noise on idle. and the SMF is lighter, so easier on your gearbox:)

Last edited:
I say go for the sach reinforced clutch cover and single mass flywheel! I have the full setup in my 2.0tdi. It makes a vibrating noise on idle, but when I floor it its worth the noise on idle. and the SMF is lighter, so easier on your gearbox:)

I have the reinforced clutch cover and disk, i dont want to go down the SMF route as i have heard cars with SMF's installed and they sound terrible at idle. There are several users on here that have had gear changing issues with the SMF so i want to avoid a SMF unless my new DMF fails. Iggu on here run the Sachs kit and Sachs DMF and has had no issues.

Davie

A SMF isn`t "easier" on the gearbox but more likely to prematurely wear or damage gearbox parts as the input shaft and linkage is rattling around loose instead of been held in place like it should be.

Dropped my car off at the garage this morning to get my Sachs Performance Clutch installed, just got a call there to tell me the DMF is gubbed - excessive play in it.
My car has only done 19800 miles, The DMF's are like chocolate in these cars. My car is on 07 with LUK clutch and flywheel. Going to order up the Sachs DMF and do away with the LUK setup. Does anyone have the Sachs DMF number to hand?

Cheers Davie

This happened to my Golf, so when I got the call I had the car recovered back to the dealer (gearbox etc in Boot!!) and they replaced the whole lot under warranty as the DMF IS covered ubder the warranty as its not a wear item.
The clutch was replaced FOC also as it was considered `consequential` damage subsequent to DMF failure.

Might be wrth getting some miles out of a brand new OEM Sachs set up before you need to fit the uprated stuff?

Worst thing they can say is `No` so maybe worth a try?

Good luck

Cheers
Paul

This happened to my Golf, so when I got the call I had the car recovered back to the dealer (gearbox etc in Boot!!) and they replaced the whole lot under warranty as the DMF IS covered ubder the warranty as its not a wear item.
The clutch was replaced FOC also as it was considered `consequential` damage subsequent to DMF failure.

Might be wrth getting some miles out of a brand new OEM Sachs set up before you need to fit the uprated stuff?

Worst thing they can say is `No` so maybe worth a try?

Good luck

Cheers
Paul

I was thinking of doing this but im fed up dealing with Audi, Im going to take the hit for this as i know if audi were to change the DMF they will fit another LUK DMF. At least if i order the Sachs DMF and have it fitted i know its right.

I had a good look through ETKA and found the Sachs DMF (i think anyway lol) 06F 105 266AD - Could someone confirm this is the Sachs DMF??

Cheers Davie

Did you get the Sachs kit direct from them for 605 euro ???
Ive been searching with little success for it slightly cheaper !

Dave it might me worth trying Audi, my mate had his LUK clutch and dual mass replaced under warrenty with a sachs. His car is the same as mine S3, 57 plate, 44k miles on the clock, he had it replaced under warrenty in dec. Mine is in Audi as we speak for clutch slipping hopefully they will replace (fingers crossed). I removed the CAI, DV and map.

The OEM DMF I think is about £615 ish inc vat retail

A SMF isn`t "easier" on the gearbox but more likely to prematurely wear or damage gearbox parts as the input shaft and linkage is rattling around loose instead of been held in place like it should be.

:( i asked this in one of the other threads and you said "I have never heard of or seen any damage done to a gearbox by using a SMF. Getting used to the rattle does take a lot of putting up with though." http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?87043-Turbo-popped!-hybrid-stage2-ordered-) and now your saying my gearbox is at risk :S if this is the case i dont mind chaning back to DMF

I haven`t seen or heard of any damage done myself but the whole point of the DMF is to stop the vibration in the gearbox linkage when the car is in neautral. When the car is in neautral with a SMF people like myself tend to hold the clutch peddle down so as not to have the horrible rattling noise which will over time wear the clutch realise bearings and the springs out on the coverplate. I ****** hate SMF`s on diesel cars and would love to go back to a DMF if i could. I was just pointing out that you where saying a SMF was in some way better for the gearbox which it isn`t. A SMF is a performance part that since it is 6KG + lighter then a DMF means it takes less power to turn so the car can accelerate quicker.

A mate of mine who runs an Audi TT with a Rotrex supercharger on it switched to a SMF, and the crank sheared. The DMF absorbs damaging vibrations in high powered engines, and he is convinced the SMF cause the premature failure. Know very little about them, but I've been warned off from them.

You could always speak to someone like the service manager and see if they would be willing to cover the labour costs to fit an uprated clutch system supplied by yourself, they could claim the labour back via the warranty.

The OEM DMF can be bought from buypartsby.co.uk for £255 or £303 from Eurocarparts

The Sachs clutch kit can be bought from Sachs for £550

Most UK distributors sell the Sachs kit for £620-650

Sachs don't make a DMF

The flywheels can be had for £207+vat !! Genuine Oem LuK ones