DIY wheel refurbishment - Pictures.

Eren S3

Pretending to know what I'm doing.
Reaction score
Hey all

Recently decided to have a go at refurbishing a set of wheels for my car. Managed to get hold of a set of Le Mans replicas from a friend for a pretty reasonable £80. They needed a bit of love but I thought I'd try my hand at it.

I'm sure there are many better DIYs out there, this won't be the most in depth, I just thought I'd share a little bit of the work I did on these to show that a home refurbishment is possible with a little bit of patience and time.

Here is what the wheels looked like as I picked them up. Needless to say they'd been sat around for a little while and needed a little bit of love!
20181128 191352

Amazing what just a good wash and scrub can do! The rims were already painted inside the barrel with a polished face. I planned on painting the entire rim black. A lot of the paint inside the rim was peeling off so I did my best to sand it off but keep as dark as possible.
20181128 191425

Side by side of the loved and the unloved.
20181128 191439

This was the extent of the damage. It was basic kerb damage, the wheel itself was in good condition - no buckles, cracks or repairs so overall it should be a fairly easy job.
20181128 215236
20181128 215328

Cue the Isopon! £28 from Halfords, a few rattle cans of theirs and off we go. It was really simple to use, instructions were clear and you get plenty of material inside to 4 do wheels. The box states there is enough for up to 20 inch wheels 10J wide so these 18x8 should be fine! I eventually only used 3 sachets out of the 10 provided. The alloy material starts to go off after about 4 minutes. I tried to push my luck and do 2 wheels with one sachet but I did not get away with it. As mentioned though, there is plenty of material provided! I left them to sit and harden overnight (didn't need to but it got late so bed was calling) and the next day I used a palm sander to sand down the excess alloy repair material. I was very surprised with the result - very smooth finish and got into almost every dent and ding there was! One or two bits were a bit deeper than I thought but that's a me problem not the product.
20181128 215323 20181129 111859

Sadly I forgot to take a photo of the sanded wheel but after this was finished I gave it a quick once over with a damp cloth, then gave it a blast of air to remove any bits of dust and gave it a couple of coats of primer. I used Halfords grey primer. Initially 2 light dustings of primer on both the rim and the centre cap separately to get the paint into the nooks and crannies and then I placed the centre cap in there to be painted together.
20181129 171728

Now the bit that made it all worth it! I left the primer to harden overnight, gave it a quick sand with very fine paper and gave these a good few coats of Halfords gloss black. I quite like the finish of this spray can, for a spray it's not a bad finish in my eyes. Overall I was pleased with how they came out considering the amount of kerb damage there was and that it was my first time! Some of the kerb markings were fairly deep and I got 99% of them out.
20181129 191139 20181130 092104 20181129 191145

Here are a couple of photos of the car now with them on. The arches are filled now and sits flush all the way around. Believe the wheels to be ET44. They are 18x8 with 10mm spacers fitted to the rear only. Definitely gives the car a better stance.
20181204 123229
20181204 123238

Here's a quick comparison of the stock wheels and the new replicas. Oddly enough I was considering painting the calipers black as I didn't like the combination with the OEM wheels (they need a coat of paint anyway) but now with the black I am considering keeping them red. What are your thoughts?
20181205 161127

I hope this was of at least some interest to some of you. It's not the most in depth DIY but I hope it's of some help. Thanks for looking :)

Eren.

Reactions: 45bvtc, TonyH38, marty.blake7 and 6 others
Great to see someone having a go themselves :)

Reactions: Eren S3
Yes, well done it looks to be a great finish for very little money. Good work.

Thanks Paddy. If there's anything that's true about me is that I'm definitely a tryer ha!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Maybe do the others anthracite colour which should hopefully blend in with the grey or see if you can get your colour code put into Spray tins ( think Dingbro do it ) and do that colour

Maybe do the others anthracite colour which should hopefully blend in with the grey or see if you can get your colour code put into Spray tins ( think Dingbro do it ) and do that colour
dont! the current suits perfect <3 <3

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and Eren S3
Looks good! Can't argue for 100 quid and bit of elbow grease.

Looks like a really good job mate, personally I’d have your calipers black as I don’t think red and grey and black goes, but defo keep the wheels black, looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and Eren S3
Thanks everyone, appreciate all your comments :) I did think about anthracite initially but gloss won the toss!

Can't grumble at all for basically what was £100 yeah! It's quenched the thirst for new wheels for now anyway.

The real advantage is if you scuff them, touching up and paint match will be easy.. :)

Thanks everyone, appreciate all your comments :) I did think about anthracite initially but gloss won the toss!

Can't grumble at all for basically what was £100 yeah! It's quenched the thirst for new wheels for now anyway.

Bargain mate, worth the effort and as you say for not much money.

did you finish with clear?
I didn't but I did think about it. The wheels will be coming off in the next few weeks anyway for a caliper respray so I may sand down a few bits I'm not completely happy with and spray them black again and finish it with clear.

Reactions: fernando young
I didn't but I did think about it. The wheels will be coming off in the next few weeks anyway for a caliper respray so I may sand down a few bits I'm not completely happy with and spray them black again and finish it with clear.

Yeah do it mate and post the pics

Good write up, but IMO a bit more patience with the rattle can and some wet n dry and you can get near OEM finish. Mind you, gloss black is one of the hardest to do with a rattle can.

Good write up, but IMO a bit more patience with the rattle can and some wet n dry and you can get near OEM finish. Mind you, gloss black is one of the hardest to do with a rattle can.
Yeah I agree. I would have liked to spend a bit longer on it. I will be taking them off soon anyway and getting into some of the bits I couldn't quite perfect. Cheers for the comments though