Diy inlet valve cleaning

R0cket

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
has anyone tackled cleaning the inlet valves themselves either with walnut blasting or another method?

Reactions: e9_mustii
I did see on a thread somewhere someone had done it themselves using a wire brush but not sure how it went

surely you must be able to clean at least the majority off yourself, thinking about giving it a try soon

TBH i wouldn't think its worth it. Access is so limited that you are only going to get a proportion of it and as someone who has cleaned up more valves than i care to remember you are really going to struggle to chip away at the burnt on coke manually, its absolutely rock hard to the extent that i have in the past removed valves and turned them in the lathe to get the crud off.
Go for a vapour type clean, its cheap, takes half an hour and will benefit the valve seats faces and exhaust ports etc as well as the tops of the pistons. I did mine that way about 20k miles ago and it put the orange engine light out that had baffled Audi themselves for 18 months and half a dozen visits before that.

I plan to use CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner the next time I'm ready for an oil change. It's got pretty decent reviews and it's basically techron (PEA) formulated for the intake so should be safe.

I’m almost starting to think I should take the head off and replace the valve stem seals while I’m at it. It’s done 104k now. Must be easier to clean the valves then.

I’d already committed to a cambelt which it’s sorn and stripped down to do the inlet valves as well as a sump clean and oil pickup replacement

No amount of hydrocarbon cleaning or blasting will substitute a full strip down but either will be adequate and a lot easier.

I would add that Hydrocarbon cleaning will clean your injectors as well which should be done every 40k or so ,another plus over walnut IMHO

Hydroclean is a waste of time. A proper carbon clean with Tunap gives very very good results and is the only system thats dealer approved

before and after images attached

Attachments

• IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 285
Can we see your before and after images to confirm hydroclean is a waste of time please.

Can we see your before and after images to confirm hydroclean is a waste of time please.

Paddy, I know a breaker that stripped a vehicle that had done a few hundred miles since being terra cleaned & when he opened it up it was still coked up. You can see from the before and after pics I've posted of a proper carbon clean

If the inlet manifold isn’t coming off afterwards how can terraclean claim the valves are clean?

Coked up valves have associated problems like rough idle, smoking, poor fuel consumption. whatever remady you use will either fix the problem or not regardless of what the parts look like after.
I had an engine management light come on at 50k miles. (rich at idle) and it was smoking on hard acceleration,j It went in to a main dealer 3 times and an indi 4 times over the next 2 years. No one could put the light out for more than 120 miles. It had countless parts from solenoid valves to charcoal filters /canisters, plugs/MAF and so on and eventually i was talking to guy with and independent Mini dealership and he said bring it in to me and i will hydro clean it, apparently Minis are really bad for this .
Took it in, the light went out, been out for 20k miles now, rolling road showed 381bhp. tick over is such that you might think it had stalled its so smooth and it stopped smoking.

Now people can say its a waste of time and money but it worked for me.

I had mine carbon cleaned easily a year ago by a sponsor on here and once I picked car up what a difference I noticed especially in the smoothness off the Engine