DIY Heater Matrix replacement

JFowler1808

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone been brave enough and successfully managed to replace their heater matrix?

Having followed the Haynes manual, I am at a point where I have got the old one out (had to cut it out) and I’m finding some more issues with getting the new one in.

Firstly, should the pipes be fairly loose to come away from the matrix? It’s hard to tell but I think I managed to loosen the bolt on the bulkhead but doesn’t seem to have loosened the pipes by very much. Is this what makes the pipes easier to work with?

Secondly, the new matrix came in a box with a pair of seals and a pair of o rings along with the foam boarders and the matrix: I didn’t find any o rings while taking the old out so are these really needed? They seem to make it slightly more difficult to mate the pipes with the matrix.

The new matrix is just about getting into its place but the top pipe seems to be pushing the matrix at the top and the bottom pipe is not quite close enough to clamp and the whole thing is getting to about 5-10mm away from its resting location. With the o rings on the pipes they become near impossible fit into the matrix.

Hopefully someone has managed to do this and can give me some pointers!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• D24C6FBB-1ED6-41AC-87F3-6D3631F99558.jpeg
    D24C6FBB-1ED6-41AC-87F3-6D3631F99558.jpeg
    501 KB · Views: 397
  • 53B22867-DAF7-40AF-9E4C-E3967F2014E9.jpeg
    53B22867-DAF7-40AF-9E4C-E3967F2014E9.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 473
  • 71C92A40-E8D1-4CD1-855A-5D6FF615AFB6.jpeg
    71C92A40-E8D1-4CD1-855A-5D6FF615AFB6.jpeg
    501 KB · Views: 1,042
Hi, as they are aluminum, you will need to use persuasion force to line them on correct height. Using same force to move them back a bit and slide the heater in place, pipes forced towards heater and then heater towards pipes (into old place) so once bolted it will hold it on place. Also use a bit of coolant film on o-rings to slide easier.

Hi, as they are aluminum, you will need to use persuasion force to line them on correct height. Using same force to move them back a bit and slide the heater in place, pipes forced towards heater and then heater towards pipes (into old place) so once bolted it will hold it on place. Also use a bit of coolant film on o-rings to slide easier.

Thanks,

Height wise they seem just about ok (as can be seen from pictures), its just that the top pipe which looks like its near enough there may actually be too far forward which is pushing the matrix forward at the top and wont let it rest parallel to the surround. If i can force it back 10mm this may in turn bring the lower pipe closer and the matrix will fit better in the slot? What do you think?

as they are on the photo, the matrix is sitting right, just take it off, pull a bit the lower one, put matrix back in, and they should by them push towards matrix, and remember they need to be tight if not with pressure you will get wet floor.

as they are on the photo, the matrix is sitting right, just take it off, pull a bit the lower one, put matrix back in, and they should by them push towards matrix, and remember they need to be tight if not with pressure you will get wet floor.
Thanks, managed to squeeze it all back in (just about) and put the plastic cover back on plus the motor that needed to come out of the way. Finally have good heat back in the car, and importantly no leaks after a few days of driving.

On to the next problem (many with this car) hardly any air going to demist the windscreen - think its a motor behind the glovebox which i can look at conveniently with it not being back on yet!

the blower is 1 for all system so if you got strong winds from front vents you should have them as well on windscreen, unless there is a problem with channeling motor that not opening flaps enough (or just dirt in channels)