DIY: Changing/Conversion HID D3S Bulbs on Audi A3 2010 w/ DRL Bi-Xenon Headlamps

Sooo... I'm officially flummoxed by the pictures I've taken tonight. I honestly don't know what to make of these bulbs now, they look fine in the images, and there's no hint of yellow in the DRL's, but last night they looked crap in the wet! I washed the crap off the car today, so maybe that made a difference or maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be. :think:

anyway, see what you think...

Colours:
Single Light 2

Twin Sillouette

the car is about 30ft away from the bushes in this one, and the road has no street lighting, so all light is from the headlights only

Tolpits Lane Lights

Sooo... I'm officially flummoxed by the pictures I've taken tonight. I honestly don't know what to make of these bulbs now, they look fine in the images, and there's no hint of yellow in the DRL's, but last night they looked crap in the wet! I washed the crap off the car today, so maybe that made a difference or maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be. :think:

anyway, see what you think...

Colours:
View attachment 25641

View attachment 25642

the car is about 30ft away from the bushes in this one, and the road has no street lighting, so all light is from the headlights only

View attachment 25643

They look like a decent 5000k bulb to me but you wont get the usable light from them that you get from a good 4300k that's just the way it goes unfortunately, or at least until Osram make a D3S CBI option.

Reactions: Artimus
I've just watched a video of my drive tonight and noticed there's a lot of glare from street lights & oncoming cars, so I'm going to clean the inside of my windscreen tomorrow (weather permitting) to see if that makes a difference to my opinion of these, because that last picture above looks perfectly fine from outside the car, but the video from inside the windscreen looks dim.

No issues with the HID kit ? i want to install one for my Full Beam and Fogs to get rid of the yellow colour however read upon to many issues with in blowing the wiper motor on the A3 :(

Right, my final opinion on these!

2 months into the life of these bulbs, and they have improved. I think there may be a "burn in" period before they give their best!.

I work night shifts, so my lights get more use than most people will give them in the time it's taken me to realise they're now brighter! There's a definite improvement and I'm now completely happy with the purchase.

If you're in the market for some cheaper alternatives to the Osrams, I'd say go for these, but give them time to improve. :thumbsup:

Reactions: wxc
Interesting find, thanks for the update. I've stuck with my OEM and may give these a try in the future.

Would you say now they're burned in that they are as bright as the 4.3k bulbs? It would be nice to compare the same night shot that you had captured couple months ago with these bulbs, and see if they're actually brighter, I think that would be quite conclusive :)

2 months into the life of these bulbs, and they have improved. I think there may be a "burn in" period before they give their best!.

I work night shifts, so my lights get more use than most people will give them in the time it's taken me to realise they're now brighter! There's a definite improvement and I'm now completely happy with the purchase.

If you're in the market for some cheaper alternatives to the Osrams, I'd say go for these, but give them time to improve. :thumbsup:

Excellent, as I said they xenon bulbs need 30-50 hours burn on them to come up to optimum output.

I think I'll get some of these myself

Cheers!

Reactions: Artimus
Interesting find, thanks for the update. I've stuck with my OEM and may give these a try in the future.

Would you say now they're burned in that they are as bright as the 4.3k bulbs? It would be nice to compare the same night shot that you had captured couple months ago with these bulbs, and see if they're actually brighter, I think that would be quite conclusive :)

I'd say these are brighter than the 4.3k bulbs, but they were nearly 5 years old when I switched them out, so not really a fair comparison.

Just been to the same spot and took a couple quick pictures - I haven't seen these full size yet, so don't know how they'll compare to the last lot...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395692778543498

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395692798943850

Edit: Evidently I should have been a little closer to the road. sorry about that - I'll maybe try again at the weekend.

Reactions: wxc and sliced
Just an FYI guys, I was reading on a German forum today (Motortalk.De) that in the next few weeks OSRAM will be producing a Xenarc 5000K CBI (Cool Blue Intense 66340CBI) bulb in both D3S and D4S applications. The news came from the Automotive Lighting Quality Manager at Osram. I doubt they will be cheap, but hopefully they may be a bit less pricey than the D3S Philips XV's (which are amazing quality and they are PURE white at 4800K) at £180 a pair. Paula xx

English translation of original post on Motortalk.De -

We are pleased to inform you that in future also the types from our mercury-free family (D3S66340CBI / D4S66440CBI) of the Cool Blue Intense variant will be available.The guys are currently in the market, should thus be ordered within the next few weeks with your dealer.
Sincerely / Best regards
Dirk N.
Quality Manager XENARC - OSRAM Speciality / Automotive Lighting Quality Management

Last edited:
Reactions: Muzza80, wxc and Artimus
No probs, Buddy. :icon_thumright: Paula xx

Reactions: Muzza80
Just an FYI guys, I was reading on a German forum today (Motortalk.De) that in the next few weeks OSRAM will be producing a Xenarc 5000K CBI (Cool Blue Intense 66340CBI) bulb in both D3S and D4S applications. The news came from the Automotive Lighting Quality Manager at Osram. I doubt they will be cheap, but hopefully they may be a bit less pricey than the D3S Philips XV's (which are amazing quality and they are PURE white at 4800K) at £180 a pair. Paula xx

We are pleased to inform you that in future also the types from our mercury-free family (D3S66340CBI / D4S66440CBI) of the Cool Blue Intense variant will be available.The guys are currently in the market, should thus be ordered within the next few weeks with your dealer.
Sincerely / Best regards
Dirk N.
Quality Manager XENARC - OSRAM Speciality / Automotive Lighting Quality Management

Paula you're a star, that's the news I've been looking for! I had the CBI's on my focus st and they were awesome! This is great news!!

Reactions: Paullie
Paula you're a star, that's the news I've been looking for! I had the CBI's on my focus st and they were awesome! This is great news!!

No worries, Bud. I thought you of all people would like to hear this, hence posting it here! I've just bought the Philips XV's for the new Black Edition lights on my Evoque, so won't be swapping them out for CBI's, but if i had known about this a couple of weeks ago, I'd definitely have held off purchasing until they became available. Hopefully the CBI's will be a bit cheaper than the XV's. Paula. :wub: xx

Reactions: Muzza80

Sincerely / Best regards
Dirk N.

Paullie, I read you post over on hidplanet. My username over on there is Pazz :)

PM if you find a supplier and I'll do the same :thumbsup:

I emailed a very reputable supplier in The Netherlands but they replied by saying the D3S bulb fitting wasn't popular enough yet for them to even consider stocking the 66340 CBI bulb.

Reactions: Paullie
Paullie, I read you post over on hidplanet. My username over on there is Pazz :)

PM if you find a supplier and I'll do the same :thumbsup:

I emailed a very reputable supplier in The Netherlands but they replied by saying the D3S bulb fitting wasn't popular enough yet for them to even consider stocking the 66340 CBI bulb.

I certainly will do Matey, no probs! Will PM you as soon as I've managed to source them. I've noticed a seller on Amazon UK offering for sale what they 'say' are these D3S CBI's for £85 per pair, but I suspect they are fakes, as they have been listing them since January and Osram hadn't even released them then. Good to see some guys on here are interested in the amazing stuff posted on HP, ..some of their retrofits are mind blowing! :wub: Paula xx

Hi guys, I just received an email from Osram UK, confirming that these D3S CBI's will be available on the UK market within the next couple of weeks. Here's the reply I was sent. :wub: Paula xx

Good morning Paula

Thank you for your web message.

I can confirm that development of our D3S Cool Blue Intense bulb has been completed and production is underway. Initial parts should be with our distributors in the UK in the next two weeks.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards

Keith Raftery
Technical Sales Manager

OSRAM Ltd
OSRAM House,
Waterside Drive,
Langley,
Berkshire SL3 6EZ
Tel: 01753 484173

Reactions: dpaz, Artimus and wxc
I haven't managed to locate any UK stockists as of yet. I know The Retrofit Source in the US has them in stock for $260 per pair. Will update as soon as I hear anything else, folks. :wub: Paula xx

So there's a guy selling these on eBay in the UK for about £80 the pair, a couple of the guys on an F150 forum in the US have bought them from him and they seem happy enough but I'm not convinced myself to be honest, seems too cheap. It would be good to get the UK RRP from Osram directly.

One seller on eBay in germany, a much bigger eBay shop with tens of thousands of feedback selling them for £160 for the pair too.

I've seen the ones for £80 a pair on ebay also. If you read his negative feedback there is a guy from Germany who bought a set and has said they are fake.

Who is the german seller?

I've been in search for a genuine set of these and so far I've found:

Lichtex in Germany - https://www.lichtex.de/osram-d3s-66340cbi-xenarc-coolblue-intense-xenon-brenner/a-663405/

VLEDs in America - http://www.vleds.com/d3s-osram-xenarc-66340.html

Andrew Page - Local motor factors can get them but I have to order 10! They are also more expensive than the above

Update for the Kaibird Bulb I linked to above: the n\s has failed.

Driving home yesterday I noticed it flashing on and off intermittently, with the emphasis on, so It wasn't too bad, but today I'm getting a light out warning on the dash and the bulb is mostly off.

I've just emailed the seller to find out if they will honour their 12 month Warranty. I'll let you know the outcome. :)

Didn't even last a year?! That's very poor but seems it's fairly common with a number of un-branded bulbs in eBay.

That's mainly why I'm after a decent supplier for the 66340CBI's still.

I fitted them in January, so around 10 Months.

But to be fair, I work nights, so they get that bit more use because of that, and I have Coming Home lights enabled via VCDS - they light up during the daytime too, so I'd estimate they've probably done the equivalent of 3-4 years worth of firing up in those 10 Months, and one's still working ...not too bad for £60 a pair.

I've had a reply from the seller, who says they'll be shipping a replacement out to me ...When it gets here, I think I'm going to order another pair as back up and switch Coming Home off.

I have coming home on and park in an underground car park during the day. They are the original bulbs (Philips) so had 4 years of use with no problems.

I don't doubt the originals will start up for longer - they should, considering the cost.

My originals were Osram 4300K's, and after 4 1\2 years they still fired up fine (have them put aside for emergency use), but light output was weaker than standard Halogens! On dark and wet back roads they were verging on being dangerously inadequate when I swapped them out.

Personally, I'd rather risk a new set every year for 4 years (at £240 or less total cost), than one set that gradually loses output over four years for the same money ...that's not a criticism, as I understand some folk would rather they just work when needed, but going by my old Osram's at least, there's actually a tangible benefit to fitting new HID's every year or two.

Reactions: wxc and sliced
So there's a guy selling these on eBay in the UK for about £80 the pair, a couple of the guys on an F150 forum in the US have bought them from him and they seem happy enough but I'm not convinced myself to be honest, seems too cheap. It would be good to get the UK RRP from Osram directly.

One seller on eBay in germany, a much bigger eBay shop with tens of thousands of feedback selling them for £160 for the pair too.

The very same ebay seller has appeared over on HID-Planet

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...sram-CBI-quot-bulbs-price-too-good-to-be-true

Anyone stepped up for the genuine D3S cbi's yet as I want a set, as I hate the oem yellow ones with a passion.

There are German suppliers (Lichtex and ATP-Autoteile) that have them for 200 euro plus shipping but unsure if they are genuine suppliers.

nope last year i purchased the philips x-treme vision 5000k bulbs and in all honesty i wouldn't say there much brighter than standard . cost was somewhere around £180 . then some plonker forgets to put there handbrake on and rolls there car into mine . now arguing it out about 1 bulb as headlight was crushed , as there insurance don't want to pay the extra for the bulb as there not standard .

So did you inform your ins co that you had modified the lighting on your own car?

nope as it was just a bulb change to a better than oem bulb . plus my insurace have nothing to do with the claim , as far as i know they haven't even been informed

PLEASE HELP! ...After reading through the forum i decided to purchase the Philips White vision Gen 2 (up to 5000k temp) "see the image" as i turned them on within 3min i took this picture, fitted are standard DRL's and then LED fog lights.

Why do they seem so yellow especially compared to the DRL's ?
Is there a burn in time ? do they get "Cooler" or "Warmer with Burn time ? 6000k seems it might match better ? but then power is sacrificed

any top tips or suggestions, am i missing something ?

2011 Audi S3 8p

struggling to upload image (not an allowed extension? )

Higher K less light output, these bulbs won't match the DRLs tbh, stick is 4300 & the jump to 5 isnt enough to match & tbh if you want to see the road at all, stop at 5k.

Tbh these bulbs aren't really produced to create blue, white effect, its more road vision they're really trying to sell as, even if they almost always never match there advertising lol.

I bought some cbi's few years back, were they cool, blue & intense, like fxxk were they, yellow & no difference to stock.

I've just been reading that Audi do 5000k and 6000k DRL's depending on the car spec and the age which would explain the vast difference between them.
S3 2011 model ? mine definitely seem more "purple" compared to the philips 5k white visions

Higher K less light output, these bulbs won't match the DRLs tbh, stick is 4300 & the jump to 5 isnt enough to match & tbh if you want to see the road at all, stop at 5k.

Tbh these bulbs aren't really produced to create blue, white effect, its more road vision they're really trying to sell as, even if they almost always never match there advertising lol.

I bought some cbi's few years back, were they cool, blue & intense, like fxxk were they, yellow & no difference to stock.

Thanks for the response , stuggling to post the picture taken but they seem so yellow in comparison to the DRLs and they are 5k Philip white vision Gen 2

I see your profile pic is VCDS, Any idea if its possible to keep the same 100% brightness on the DRLs when they are in the 'Parking light setting" as they are when on auto mode (main beams off)