DIY cambelt change, on 2.4 V6 any one done it?

pachinnery

Audi A4 Cab, 2.4 V6 2002,
Reaction score
Hi
Has anyone done there own cambelt change on the 2.4 V6 engine?
If so how difficult is it. Is there any special tools required to pin the cam shafts or locking devices to hold the cams/crank while the old belt is removed.

Regards

Paul

Hi
Has anyone done there own cambelt change on the 2.4 V6 engine?
If so how difficult is it. Is there any special tools required to pin the cam shafts or locking devices to hold the cams/crank while the old belt is removed.

Regards

Paul
Hi Paul, not a DIY job i'm afraid mate ! You need an expensive locking bar(£85) and a very good tool kit + a few more tools: hydraulic jack, axle stands, pulley grips, etc. The belt only takes 15min to fit its getting at it that is labour intensive. I am an very experienced mechanic and i never done it in the time the book gives. If you decide to have a go at it, make shure you replace ALL rollers/idlers + water pump and thermostat and take loads of pictures to help you with refiting as there's loadsa bolts to remove and refit. There was a "how to" on the net a few years ago...do a google search. Pay attention to the viscous fan pulley as there are a few hidden allen bolts wich are a pain to get at !

Thanks Adamss24

I have all the tools you list, except the locking bar. What is that for holding the cams/crank while the old belt is removed?

cheers