DIY blackout grill's - what do you think?`

technics100

Reaction score
What do you think? Did it myself with Halfords satin balck paint...
abcd00107bk.jpg

abcd00094kg.jpg

Sorry for crappy pics, taken with my phone...

Looks pretty neat.
Did you prime it first, or just spray straight onto the chrome?
Let us know how it holds up to the old soap sud.

gave it a quick rub with some P1200 and a spray of primer, then a coat of satin black..I thought it suited the car, as I have black window rubbers etc on the car..

Looks great, I much prefer the dechromed look on Audi's. Took me ages to find one that didn't have all that bling down the sides.
Trouble is won't it look a bit messy once it's got a few stone chips on it revealing the chrome underneath?

Satin black paint from halfords =£3.99
p1200 Wet & dry =£1.99

Super sporty looking grill = priceless.........

yeah.. but think about all that personal labour time!... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
and... until stonechips get the paint off... it does look good!..

Nice :)
Makes the car look more menacing. Me Like v much.

I did this a while back.

Sanded the grille down, sprayed 3 coats of primer, then 3 coats of black, then 2 coats of clear......guess what? The painted started chipping after about 500 miles were put on the car. I definitely say get the molded in color version. Once mine started chipping it looked like crap.

i did mine on my b5, unforunately i spend forever repainting the ****** because it gets stone chipped more easily as the paint doesnt stick to chrome very well.

I guess it's a personal preference thing. I got an matt-black S4-style replica grille for my previous B5 about four years ago. It cost about £41 from my local stealer. Kept it on for about six months, then decided I liked the original look better & swapped 'em back. Best of all, I stuck the replica up for sale on Ebay & it went for £55!!

I've noticed people selling all-chrome kits on Ebay to bling up the main and lower grille sections. Saw an A6 the other day with this kit on & it looked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif